GVS and Adelaide lookalike

Rate this topic

201bhoy

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments and the link to my layout thread from RM Web.

I am still a member on this site,but have not been on for a while,hence the belated response to the above comments!Must rectify that,as there are some great threads and many smashing looking Irish layouts,with Tara Junction always being a particular favourite of mine from the old forum.Amiens St,also on RM Web,is another layout I am enjoying the progress on.

Thanks for the comments and the link to my layout thread from RM Web.

I am still a member on this site,but have not been on for a while,hence the belated response to the above comments!Must rectify that,as there are some great threads and many smashing looking Irish layouts,with Tara Junction always being a particular favourite of mine from the old forum.Amiens St,also on RM Web,is another layout I am enjoying the progress on.

Welcome to the site Hunslet 102,thanks for your comments about Tara Junction,

Your own layout is impressive-a nice era and lots of interesting locos and rolling stock,please post more pictures of the layout on here if possible,

I also like the backs of the terraced houses-and Adelade freight yard looks great with the containers,cement and fertliser wagons,

Keep up the good work.

Welcome to the site Hunslet 102,thanks for your comments about Tara Junction,

Your own layout is impressive-a nice era and lots of interesting locos and rolling stock,please post more pictures of the layout on here if possible,

I also like the backs of the terraced houses-and Adelade freight yard looks great with the containers,cement and fertliser wagons,

Keep up the good work.

Thanks ttc0169-the era is one of the best for liveries and varying types of stock in Ireland.The other great thing about the GNR section of NIR,it had the regular freight and passenger traffic from Dundalk/Dublin,allowing me to model lots of CIE stock also,with freight in particular,as it is now a thing of the past and Adelaide freight yard is no more.

Welcome Hunslet to the site, I have followed your developing layout on the RM site both for the sight of Northern stock and also ideas I can pinch. (Imitation being the greatest form of flattery).

Thanks Kirley-if there is anything I can help you with just ask.NIR in the 70s and early 80s is my main focus.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys

Thought I would start this thread as it might be of interest to some.I already have a layout thread on RM Web that has been linked on this forum by 201bhoy under GVS and Adelaide,so I dont really have the time to run a parallel thread on here.This thread however will mainly be photo's from my layout with a brief description of how the railway in Northern Ireland looked and was served in the early 70s,my favourite modelling period.Hopefully it will be an insight to the younger members on the forum and a reminder of how it was to those of us a bit more senior :)

The above photo is a typical scene from the early 70s on NIR,showing a double ended BUT railcar no.122 bringing up the rear of an all stations to Lisburn local.NIR driving trailer 812 powers towards Belfast with the Enterprise while a CIE 141 class shunts fertilizer wagons on the head shunt outside Adelaide freight yard.This scene was typical of what I would view while idling away the hours watching the operations at Adelaide.

141 fertilizer (2).jpg

141 fertilizer (2).jpg

Thanks guys for your replies.

P1020438.jpg

This photo is the same as the first photo,but taken from across the freight yard.It is from the time in the 70s when the face of the railway was changing.In the foreground are loose coupled vans,which,along with the BUT sets would soon be a thing of the past.The 141 with the fertilizer wagons is part of the new way forward for freight on CIE along with container trains,which have also all but disappeared from our railways.

P1020438_zps22f6a0dcresized320x240_zpsf645ab44.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102
  • Like 1

A few more pics of scenes from the 70s.

P1020593.jpg

The above 2 photo's show a 141 heading to Grosvenor Road goods yard with Guinness containers,passing a PW gang carring out maintenance on the up line.

P1020592.jpg

The above photo is the gang themselves,doing a real man's day of work,none of your tampers or high viz vests here :P One of the Markle DVDs has some great footage of a PW gang at work on the relaying of the old Central line,well worth a look to remember how the railway was once worked.

P1020594.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more shots of scenes from the 70s from my layout.The photo below is as per a request from heirflick,which shows a top and tailed maroon Hunslet Enterprise with 102 Falcon leading and a tiny glimpse of 103 Merlin pushing.Sister loco 101 Eagle is heading in the opposite direction with a PW train.A couple of 141s can be seen in the yard,B181 waiting to take a freight to Dundalk while sister loco 165 shunts wagons for her return trip south later.

P1020680.jpg

The photo below shows something not often seen on NIR,all 3 Hunslets working individually.101 Eagle is still on PW duties,102 Eagle is in charge of the Enterprise and 103 Merlin is in the head shunt awaiting its next turn of duty.It will probably idle most of the day,as the CIE locos that brought the freight into the yard generally done their own shunting.

P1020681.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102

Thanks guys for your comments.Heirflick you are right,the maroon was the best livery ever worn by the Hunslet's.Well spotted 201bhoy,the crane is removable and has gone away for repairs and painting.

Oh right ok! Have to say the crane makes the space seem much bigger than it is, that's what I'm trying to create in my small 8 x 4 layout!