GVS and Adelaide lookalike

Rate this topic

201bhoy

• 1 month later...
A useful addition to your wonderful layout Andy, Is the Bus garage from the Metcalfe range or did you scratch build it?

Thanks for the replies guys,much appreciated.

Noel,there is a story behind the bus depot! It is from the Metcalfe range and I saw the kit on ebay on a buy-it-now or make an offer,so I put in a cheeky low offer and was surprised to have it accepted,us modellers are always looking for a bargain! The kit arrived and the seller kindly put in an extra kit FOC,an O gauge building! I thought,what do I want with an O gauge building,before it dawned on me I had bought an O gauge bus depot! In my quest for a bargain,I had omitted my own rule of research what you are buying! Anyway,undeterred,I omitted the 2 side buildings,cut down the main building to the right height and then covered it with brick paper.The roof is the original O gauge roof as supplied in the kit,but I feel it does not look out of place as the roofs on these depots tended to be quite high.So,if I sell my freebie building for a couple of quid,the bus depot will have cost me less than a tenner including postage,so I am quite pleased with the outcome!

Andy you have a nice collection of Corporation Buses and the depot sets them off really well.

Looking forward to seeing this part finished.

You must be getting near the end?

Ha Ha,you having a laugh Kieran,I don't think a layout build ever ends! It is starting to take shape,the bus depot is an added addition as I did not think I would have room for one. A few other new features have started to appear or will be appearing which I think will cement the Belfast feel to the layout.I have a commissioned building,being built by Glenderg of this parish, due to arrive shortly,which along with another build of my own will really bring home the atmosphere of the original Great Victoria Street station.Like Colm Flannigan,I have always wanted to build a Harlandic and with his great article in New Irish lines it will now be a reality.I am dreaming of the day when I can run the Harlandic into platform 2 to remove the CIE Enterprise coaching stock to the carriage sidings,while an AEC railcar arrives with a local working.What an era!

That Harlandic was a remarkable survivor until 1972. What was even more remarkable is the lack of knowledge or sightings of it! It could have been SOO close to preservation.

(Imagine it in fresh new NIR maroon! There's the year's photoshop project for someone suitably adept...)

The Harlandic in maroon,now there's a thought! It was a remarkable machine that had a long and varied history.Even in its twilight years it saw of its replacement at GVSt-the DH shunter-there was life in the old girl right to the end and a sad end and fate for such an iconic locomotive.

• 4 weeks later...

The town rebuild continues with the photo below showing the front of the new church.One will always find a church and a pub in every part of Ireland!

church.jpg

Below is a side view,a grave yard will probably be included in the foreground and the revamped RUC station can be seen beside the church.This scene was inspired by the old Lisburn Road police station that had a small church next door to it.

church side.jpg

The final shot gives a clearer side view of the RUC station,still a bit of work to get it finished.

church and police station.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great Victoria Street station 1968,with AEC railcar No111 in UTA blue/cream livery standing in the former railmotor platform,as platform 1 was commonly known as with an all stations to Lisburn train.Platforms 2 to 4 have both types of BUT railcars and a further AEC railcar in the then new NIR livery of maroon/cream.Not everyone's cup of tea railcars,but they were the mainstay of the passengers services in Northern Ireland and the mode of transport I travelled in regularly.

aec platform 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The layout rebuild continues with some testing of the new third line running into Great Victoria Street.An AEC railcar is in the foreground,with Hunslet 102 Falcon on Enterprise duty heading to the station while sister loco 101 Eagle is propelling CIE coaches to the carriage sidings from an earlier shoppers special.The back of the police station can be seen above the wall.

k15 +Hunslet.jpg

The next 2 photo's show block c of a 3 part build of the tobacco factory that stood beside Gt Victoria Street,being built by Glenderg of this parish.Just waiting on blocks a and b to complete the build,hopefully before Christmas.Once received,I will be able to make a start on the Boyne bridge,which straddled the platforms of the station.

murray's block c 2.jpg

murray's block c.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102
  • Like 1

The mind wanders..... had the Derry Road lasted another few years, maroon / grey AECs and 80 class would have landed into Foyle Road, along possibly with fertiliser wagons.....

It is more likely that the fertiliser traffic would have only gone as far as Strabane, as that was the railhead for Donegal. Derry Waterside only became the railhead after the Derry Road had closed.

Indeed..... with the benefit of opium, we might imagine transshipment onto the narrow gauge for onward transit to Letterkenny!

I had planned at one stage (but never got around to it) a layout based on F class locos and Walker railcars as they might have been had the West Clare last into the 1970s, complete with contain wagons.....

Maybe some day. I wonder what a West Clare railcar would look like in black'n'tan, and an F in black!

Edited by jhb171achill

• 3 months later...

Progress on the layout has been slow,but a new wall and fence has been built for the bus depot.Some of the various buses that were around Belfast in the early 70s can be seen.

bus depot with fence.jpg

The next photo shows a side view with the adverts that were common on the side of Belfast buses at the time.

bus depot fence side.jpg

The final image is a close-up shot of a Dennis Lowline bus through the fence.

bus depot fence close.jpg