GVS and Adelaide lookalike

Rate this topic

201bhoy

Bullied designed a few bodies, but the bulk were standard AEC Park Royal. The few Bullied ones were odd-looking - they had straighter sides and ends and in fact were ugly things. I've yet to see one modelled, though in truth there's not much to go on. You didn't see them that much.

There were 6 Bullied designed railcars,compared with 60 AEC type railcars built for CIE,hence why they would not have been seen much.The straighter ends and raised roof did give them a strange look.

From a modellers point of view,there is a photo of the Bullied type in Irish Railways in colour by Tom Ferris showing the toilet side of the railcar,while Irish Railways,40 years of change by Colin Boocock shows the opposite side of the railcar with a good front profile view.

No. New conv Withd

2660-6312-5/1973-1985

2661-6320-5/1974-11/1983

2662-6319-4/1974-4/1985

2663-6305-2/1973-10/1976

2664-6316-2/1974-9/1987

2665-6307-2/1973-10/1976

All were built in 1957, rebuilt as SO powered intermediates in 1961 along with 2666,2667 & 2668 they were originally 2614/2617/2656 which were damaged in 1955/1957/1958.

Edited by Riversuir226

Those would have been the 5th coach in a Dublin push-pull unit. The Bulleid railcars were converted with a corridor connection (vestibule? can't remember the proper word) to the railcar at either end. They looked unusual in the push-pull rakes because they had a profile more like the standard CIE coaching stock profile, and were broader above the waist and had a different roof profile to the AEC units.

I'm surprised one of them lasted until 1987 because most were withdrawn when the DART was launched in 1984. It might have been used on the Bray - Greystones shuttle which used push-pull units until 1987 when a NIR 80 class was rented to operate it.

Alan

CIÉ also planned a further development of the Bulleid-bodied AECs in the shape of a single unit bubble car, although it never got beyond design stage. It was the subject of an article by Dónal Murray in the May 2006 edition of New Irish Lines, which is available to download from http://newirishlines.org/archive-2/

The article also features a nice photo of the first Bulleid unit.

The issue also features articles by some current contributors to this forum... ;)

Edited by Garfield

• 5 weeks later...
One picture Andy, you're just teasing us with more to come (I hope). Can't see enough of this layout.

Lots of projects to finish Kieran before any more photo's,but hopefully soon a few things will get completed and the photo's to follow will have a real Belfast in the early 70s feel to them...

Thanks also for your comments TDR.

That's a novel Guinness wagon (for me, at least). Is it prototypical?........(that's probably a stupid question)

Dive-the Guinness wagon I believe is based on an MGWR wagon,but whether it is prototypical I am not sure.It is from the Provincial Wagon range of wagons,I think it was a limited edition,but Leslie who owns Provincial Wagons also posts on the forum and I am sure he will give more details.What I do know is that the wagon was out of commission before the 70s and thus would not have made it North to either Grosvenor Road freight yard or Adelaide its replacement,but like most modellers,a bit of modellers licence is allowed...

• 2 weeks later...

A scene from the 60s below,which scarily is 50 years ago,shows railcar 112 in UTA green leaving the station in route with a local working to Great Victoria Street,passing a UTA Jeep with an internal freight train,something that was due to vanish before NIR took over in 68.

112 and Jeep.jpg

By 1972,the AECs and Jeeps had all been withdrawn from revenue service

112 and jeep2.jpg

Thanks Noel and Kieran,glad you are still enjoying GVSt. Nice thought with the AEC Kieran,they were a great pioneer railcar. Really enjoy modelling this era,such a variety of stock both North and South make it one of the best era's in Irish railway history and I am glad I got to enjoy it in real life in my youth and recreate a piece of it with the layout. Positive comments from guys like yourselves and others just add to the joy and are greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a long wait,but worthwhile,to finally recreate the railway scene from my childhood that gave me many hours of enjoyment on a Sunday,when the DH was on ballast duty with converted spoil wagons.They moved along the line at a snails pace,it was great just watching them at work and getting a close-up view of the DH,boy those were the days.The following photo's bring back those happy memories for me,one of the joys of our great hobby.

spoil wagon side.jpg

spoil wagon with dh.jpg

spoil wagon top.jpg

Thanks guys,will try to get a few more pics taken at the weekend.

Kieran,I have actually had the spoil wagons built since Christmas,they have been awaiting painting ever since!! I am still battling to complete my early CIE coaches,the 2 JM Design Bredins are just about there,one can be seen behind the DH in the 3rd photo,the 2 Worsley Works laminates are also just about there after a lot of frustration,again one is behind the Bredin, and the 2 Worsley Works Park Royals are going to be getting bounced off the wall very soon!!!,they have been one pain of a build,hence the spoil wagons getting completed!!

Hi guys,as promised a few more pics,taken from the golden years of Irish railways,in my opinion anyway!

The first,taken in 1972, shows DH No2 on ballast duty with the ex spoil wagons that were converted by NIR for ballast work.CIE B class NoB165,is in the head shunt shunting some Guinness containers,while in the yard,a cluster of CIE H vans can be seen.

freight 1972.jpg

The cameraman was lucky to get a front shot of the same trains,the days when you could photograph trains from the side of the railway without getting too much hassle.

freight 1972 front.jpg

The next couple of photo's were taken 10 years later,in 1982 and show the changing face of the railway.Again,NIR DH No2 is on ballast duty,this time with a couple of the former spoil wagons and a couple of the newer seacow type hoppers.In the headshunt,CIE B class,No B182 is shunting some fertilizer wagons,while in the yard the H vans have been replaced by container traffic.

freight 1982.jpg

The final photo is a front shot from the same scene.

freight 1982 front.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102

Hi hunslet,if it doesn't cause you any trouble could you post a pic of the terminus throat please?

Hi GSR800,just back down from the loft with a few more pics to post,but none of the station throat I'm afraid.I will try to get a couple of the throat over the next few days and post them up for you,thanks.

Thanks for the comments Kieran and Seamus,glad to see you back posting again Seamus.

Having completed the spoil wagons,I could not resist running them with their normal mode of transport,behind a Jeep! The following photo shows a Jeep powering out of the tunnel with a spoil train for the foreshore of Belfast lough.An MED railcar is heading in the opposite direction with a service to Larne.A couple of Belfast Corporation buses can be seen on the road above.

spoil train 1.jpg

The next pic shows a side on view of the spoil train on its journey in 1970.

spoil train 2.jpg

As I am on a nostalgia trip down memory lane,the final photo shows the back street houses of Belfast,the type of which I grew up in.They were cold,they were damp,but they were home with a great community spirit,something which I think has been lost in recent times.

street scene.jpg

Edited by Hunslet 102