Kingsbridge - workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

122 progressed to fitting walkway handrails and grab rails stage. Very tedious and fiddle work. 

IMG_8462.jpg

Getting them parallel and dead straight put my eyes to the test and my fingers were numb afterwards

IMG_8454.jpg

Then had to paint the blasted things. There are more holes in this model for wire than swiss cheese, and more wire than P&T used to have.

IMG_8475.jpg

Really enjoyed working on this project for the past few months. I knew the MM livery variant was imminent but I started this months ago so decoded I'd finish it and run with the rest of the stock

IMG_8472.jpg

Finished bar a few bits I forgot like tail lamp and windscreen wipers

IMG_8484.jpg

122 is ready for service on the layout

IMG_8480.jpg

What next, perhaps a B101 or a B114? :) Have 5 121s now, 2 x MM, 3 x Kitbashed and some B&T MMs on order. What a hobby this is. Good night.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, Robert Shrives said:

Good effort ! And an old ball of course with points and broken wheel, Hope mine turns out as well.  Admire the straight handrails - I think better than some had in real life. 

Thanks for showing

Robert  

Cheers Robert. I'll have to paint the white DCC speaker black cause its visible through the side grill panels. Just realised I forget the tail lantern and the windscreen wipers! 😱 Yes those hand rails caused quite a delay, as I was apprehensive about getting them square and straight. I avoided them like the plaque until yesterday, but once I got started I figured out a process that worked for me.

Apologies for slight duplication with original post but this is a more complete chronology of this little project.

122 over nine months ago. Along side donor chassis.

IMG_9198.jpg

Made up see through Grills inspired by seeing the MM pre-production sample at SDMRC show.

IMG_6660.JPG

Test fitted side grills before painting

IMG_6659.JPG

Start painting 

IMG_6629.JPG

Transfers. Choose CIE Broken Wheel roundal up front with the IR logo on the side

IMG_6653.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

The wire grab rails and walkway rails were a challenge

IMG_8454.jpg

Twisted eyes and a few hours last night saw them done

IMG_8461.jpg

Fiddley. My fingers were numb after this :)  

IMG_8465.jpg

Painted all the rails black and fitted the pre-painted cab door grab rails which will be weathered in due course

IMG_8479.jpg

I do like this odd ball hybrid livery transitioning from the CIE super train era to the IR era before the tippex stripes were added

IMG_8475.jpg

Almost finito, just the wipers left and the old tail lamp

IMG_8484.jpg

Just about finished. The see through vent grills exposed the internal white sound speaker which will be painted black, or replaced with a smaller sugar cube speaker so you can see through the loco.

IMG_8480.jpg

Relatively content with the way 122 turned out.  She runs sweetly with the Athearn donor chassis. The MM versions are perhaps only 1-5 weeks away, but I enjoyed making my own kit bashed version of 122 to join B121 on the layout with the incoming MM 121's. She has WheelTappers ESU LokSound 5 sound as well. Good Night.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Noel, Just to ask what brand and shade of orange did you use, it looks very good , mine in a Tamyia orange looks to well, orange!

Thanks 

Robert.

Hi Robert

It was a mix I’ve used Vallejo yellow 35:1 Vallejo red. Please see test card below. In the past I’ve also Used Tamiya mix. I usually mix by eye and test the mixes on a spare bit of plastic that’s been primed. The Vallejo red (71:102 is very potent). First time I tried it was 50:50 but it came out virtually red, In the past to match MM Mk2d coaches it was more yellow (120:1 mix), which btw are not a prototypical shade and was never used on any MM locos. Hope this helps

IMG_5216.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

On 29/8/2020 at 10:00 PM, Noel said:

Just about finished rebuilt IE/IR Dutch GSV (exCIE) kit suitable to run with my Bachmann/MM IE/IR mk2a coaches. I seem to be collecting GSVs and EGVs :) Like brake vans, I just like them, they ran with every train and had purpose in the moment of people and/or goods.

IMG_7439.jpg

Hi Noel do you have the source for this kit? I believe it's IFM but how does one contact them? I intend respraying a number of mk2a's and mk2b's so these rebuilt EGVs will be essential in time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Tom is out of stock with no immediate plans to rerun the rebuilt Dutch EGV but maybe once Covid etc. has passed he might consider it. I suppose the more expressions of interest he receives the more inclined he might be to do it 😉

. . . and the Bachmann Irish Rail Intercity Mk2a's they ran with are long out of production and rarely turn up on the second hand market except the odd one now and then on ebay for crazy high prices. Try DC kits as they also used to sell the rebuilt Dutch GSVs.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, WRENNEIRE said:

They were listed around €160 or so last week, down to €130 odd for this listing...

I offered €40 each but my offer was politely declined.

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

They were listed around €160 or so last week, down to €130 odd for this listing...

I offered €40 each but my offer was politely declined.

Ha :) So Did I. They could be picked up in stillorgan for about £40 from stall holders the last time I was there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Ha :) So Did I. They could be picked up in stillorgan for about £40 from stall holders the last time I was there.

I coudn't afford nor justify any more than that, really.

Only four of them actually ran on Irish railways in that condition, so it's not ike having five or six of them is prototypical.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stone arches formed. It has been years since I played with plastic, quite therapeutic patiently cutting, sanding, filling and fettling bits of plastic card. Every time I look at a photo of the original building I realise there are more bits to make and more parts to fabricate.

IMG_8935.jpg

Spotted more holes to be drilled for door rails, etc

IMG_8937.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I will ask Barry if he has other views of this shed if you like?

Thank you Jonathan. Also if he had one front on of the old station building. I’m suspicious there may originally have been windows on the side of the goods shed long since bricked up with stone rather than bricks.

22 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thank you Jonathan. Also if he had one front on of the old station building. I’m suspicious there may originally have been windows on the side of the goods shed long since bricked up with stone rather than bricks.

Leave it with me - I'll post here when I get something.

With the lockdown I can't nip round to his house right now, but I'm on the phone every few days.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Is it this side you are after?

IR 1999-03-27 Gort A39 Railtour G Roose064.jpg

Thank you. That’s a help, no sign of bricked up windows. If you had a front elevation of the station building that would be a great help. Many thanks. 

Sorry havn't got any of the road side but Ciarans site has a number of photos. There is a bricked up window under the vegetation on the north end

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations G/Gort/IrishRailwayStations.html#Gort_20080802_019_CC_JA.jpg

Road side on Ciaran's site

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations G/Gort/IrishRailwayStations.html#Gort_20080326_013_CC_JA.jpg

Edited by Irishswissernie

55 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Sorry havn't got any of the road side but Ciarans site has a number of photos. There is a bricked up window under the vegetation on the north end

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations G/Gort/IrishRailwayStations.html#Gort_20080802_019_CC_JA.jpg

Road side on Ciaran's site

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway Stations G/Gort/IrishRailwayStations.html#Gort_20080326_013_CC_JA.jpg

Thank you Ernie I’ve seen those two and know about the window on the cattle dock side. 

Window on the cattle dock side.

image.png.df6eb401ba321eaddde14483d51cba0e.png

Edited by Noel