Kingsbridge - workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

Getting closer to the end. Got the bright former GSWR lettering painted over but still showing through.

IMG_5913.JPG

IMG_5926.JPG

Nobody will be able to see the brake wheels when the roof is on, but I know they are in there so the red paint just had to go on.

IMG_5914.JPG

Alternative masking for the veranda innards in this other kit bash

IMG_5919.JPG

Quick spray session with five different colours used in rapid succession on various bits of the three old brake vans.

IMG_5922.JPG

And to finish up a quick airbrush clean after the last colour

IMG_5924.JPG

Edited by Noel
lexdysic
  • Like 4

Finished for now. Unfortunately I've only done limited weathering due to the resin pitting, a powder wash would just flll the tiny holes with dark wash leaving it looking rather spotty. A unique little wagon.

IMG_5938.jpg

Had to put a little man inside. Will try some limited weathering and finish off the lamps when I get the energy. All in all a pleasant little wagon. The Alan gibson wheels were a pain to get fitted due to the wheels slipping on the axles and changing gauge while being squeezed into the axles bearings.

IMG_5936.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Midland Man said:

Love the figure. Going to have to get on of those kits when my to do list ends.

Yea the little guard man was a must. It is a nice kit, and goes together well. The only thing it lacked was built in wifi. :) 

27 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

May in ask what was the price as it seem quite pricey. But than again Modeling the 60s cheaply an destroy a models 

€27.50ea inc postage when ordering 4. Yes I used to think the same myself but they are a superb representation of the most important and most numerous wagon ever to run on Irelands railways. They were a general purpose open wagon, used primarily for beet traffic near the end of their days, but they transported all manner of goods, merchandise, agricultural produce, hardware, food stuffs and building materials to every major town in Ireland. As a child on passenger trains travelling around Ireland staring out the window at every station in Ireland you saw lines of these in goods sidings, goods sheds and loading dock platforms as well as on passing loops being overtaken by the faster passenger train. Apparently in their hey day there were over 4000 of these wagons on Irish rails. You could see everything from shinny new farm machinery in them to barrels of guinness, to milk churns, to bags of grain, timber, bricks, steel, to small conflat containers craned inside them.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Noel said:

They were a general purpose open wagon, used primarily for beet traffic near the end of their days, but they transported all manner of goods, merchandise, agricultural produce, hardware, food stuffs and building materials to every major town in Ireland. .............Apparently in their hey day there were over 4000 of these wagons on Irish rails. You could see everything from shinny new farm machinery in them to barrels of guinness, to milk churns, to bags of grain, timber, bricks, steel, to small conflat containers craned inside them.

My first sight of one, as far as I recall, was in a loose-coupled goods train and it was loaded with new-looking wooden beams of some sort, sticking up slightly over one end...... easy to model with those longer matchsticks (the thicker ones) cut to suitable lengths....

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Enjoyed doodling with this kit bashed tri-ang. Have 3 chassis for it, this one, another with running step rails, the third chassis has a plough.

IMG_6010.JPG

A very light bit of weathering on this provincial wagons CIE ex-GSWR 10 ton kit. The little man fell out so bostick to the rescue. 

IMG_6011.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

Seeing these last few kits is getting me inspired to dive into getting some of these kits. What tools are a necessity in your opinion for putting these together or is it mostly a case of a craft knife, file and glue prior to painting?

Not many tools, they are fairly easy to build

1. Craft knife/scalpel
  2. Precision Hand Drill (with 0.5mm to 1.5mm drill bits)
  3. Micro File Set
  4. Mini Screwdriver set (for couplings)
  5. Superglue (ie for resin kits)
  6. Wire cutters
  7. Tweezers 
  8. Needle nose pliers helpful for forming wire hand rails and wire parts
  9. Not necessary but nice to have a cutting mat
  10. Method of painting

That's it

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Informative 2

Finished decorating a provincial wagons CIE 20ft container wagon kit. Seen loaded into various container flats including IRM 42ft and 3D 20ft skeletal flat. It fits nicely on the IRM 42ft wagon.

Loaded onto IRM 42ft container flat

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

Loaded onto 20ft flat

IMG_6222.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

Edited by Noel
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 1

Super job, Noel, thanks for sharing it. I presume showing the effects of forty years ageing, but achieved in as many minutes?

Please forgive a correction - the four wheel flat isn't a Provincial Wagons one. I do such a kit, but in resin and sell either that separately, or with the container.

Very pleased that my (earlier)  version of the 20ft container fits nicely on The Boys' super 42ft flat.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Super job, Noel, thanks for sharing it. I presume showing the effects of forty years ageing, but achieved in as many minutes?

Please forgive a correction - the four wheel flat isn't a Provincial Wagons one. I do such a kit, but in resin and sell either that separately, or with the container.

Very pleased that my (earlier)  version of the 20ft container fits nicely on The Boys' super 42ft flat.

Cheers Leslie, not sure how many minutes cause I overlap painting with other CIE 'orange' projects but I guess if it was on its own including transfers and weathering total time would have been about 90 mins in seven brief sessions. (prime, paintx2, glass, transfers, matt, weathering, matt).

Here it is loaded with an as of yet unweathered IRM 20ft container on an IRM 42ft container flat wagon. I've weathered my other IRM containers. Yes it fits snugly and precisely on the IRM 42ft container wagon and really looks the part from the CIE era.

IMG_6226.jpg

IRM containers at the weathering booth

IMG_5378.jpg

IRM stock back in traffic after a visit to the Irish climate for some years

IMG_5432.jpg

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Fine work. It just looks 'right'.

Dead on, David, Noel's weathered container looks just like the ones I measured and photographed before we made the original kit.

So, fifty years in ninety minutes - almost Faster than Light travel (if you're a SciFi type like me!).

• Like 1

Nice work Noel. The combination of their colour and how badly they weathered over time means they are not easy to get right, but you've pulled it off. 

I have a few of these spare from my 42' flats, and tackled one over the Christmas break. After a lot of expletives it ended up back in a box. I'm planning on revisiting it, when I have time and patience in equal measure. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Dead on, David, Noel's weathered container looks just like the ones I measured and photographed before we made the original kit.

So, fifty years in ninety minutes - almost Faster than Light travel (if you're a SciFi type like me!).

Love long and prosper, Leslie - just beware the Klingons off the starboard bow!

3 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Love long and prosper, Leslie - just beware the Klingons off the starboard bow!

Live long and prosper! :) Kingons off the gamma quadrant! :) 

But I like "Love long and prosper" too! :) 

My airbrush was screaming last week, "She's not gonna take much  morea this captain, The compressor's running low on di-lithium crystals"

There be whales here!

Actually, it's a photograph I regularly show as part of my "First Fifty x Years of the RPSI".

The Best Man at my wedding was the Miniature Morton who is in front of me, while the my Groom's Man, the late John McGuigan is just to the left of Tim in the photo. In time, they became younger son's Godfathers and a good job they did, too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Oh dear, did I forget to put them in?

Hi Leslie, Not sure what 'them' is but everything seems to be present including the transfers (out of shot). So unless you meant to put kit model cattle in you forgot nothing. :) 

Got one of the PW Cattle wagons assembled today.

Spent about 2 hours preparing the parts, deflashing, filing, shaving so parts fit snuggly, etc. It went together fairly easily with little adjustments needed, as Leslie had advised me a little tweaking to the roof joints was needed but nothing dramatic.

IMG_6329.JPG

A little flash removal was needed between the ventilated planks and the gap between the doors. All the holes drilled as per instructions.

IMG_6325.JPG

Dapol NEM pockets to be added in the morning in prep for the kadee's. All the parts cleaned up nicely.

IMG_6330.JPG

Roof needed minor beveling and removal of resin flash, I knew if I used elastic bands later it would bend back flat against wagon sides.

IMG_6328.JPG

Wheels fit on chassis snugly and ran freely under test.

IMG_6331.JPG

Glued ends on first as per instructions. I really dislike superglue and resin. It takes ages to set unlike poly glue with plasticard styrene.

IMG_6334.JPG

Sides next using elastic bands to keep the parts in compression so glue could seep into joints using capillary action and set. Used a modellers G clamp to force body sides to compress firmly against chassis so the super glue would start to set

IMG_6337.JPG

Popped the roof on fairly quickly in case the sides needed readjustment before the glue cured. Elastic bands keeping everything snug and square while the glue could set and cure.

IMG_6338.JPG

Body assembled so just added the wire parts for the upper grills and door handles, and buffers glued into buffer stocks. Finito for today.

IMG_6339.JPG

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

24 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Looking great - must start on mine! 

Must check also if mine have tadpoles on the underneath.........................!

Cheers. Start your Jonathan? I thought I saw you collecting those way back last October in Blackrock!  I'm as bad it took me two years before I built the beet wagons that had been on a shelf on my workbench staring at me.

• Like 1

Great stuff, Noel. Another Master Class in building resin kits.

Aren't lackey bands wonderful?

Your Wagon Works certainly looks more productive over this Lockdown than my ballasting team and gardeners (grassey bits). I've almost got something to show for it all.

Latest entertaining lesson - fit your rail-built buffer stops BEFORE ballasting.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3