Kingsbridge - workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

It was a most pleasant surprise to learn I had won a raffle prize at the WMRC Easter Layout Exhibition. An Irish Freight Models kit of a CIE Bogie TPO. Thank you WMRC and especially IFM who kindly donated this kit as one of the prizes for the raffle. The purchase of the raffle tickets proved fortuitous as I was just about to order one of these unique kits anyway.

IMG_5467.jpg

Decals, wheels, grab rail wire, buffers and glazing sheet included. Only extras needed are a pair of Bachmann commonwealth bogies which I already had (salvage from 3173 GSV conversion). Nice crisp resin moulding with virtually no flash.

IMG_5468.jpg

Really looking forward to working on this over the coming weeks alongside the few other projects on the bench at various stages of undress :) Anyway a most pleasant and unexpected bonus from visiting the Wexford town exhibition for the first time.

EDIT: Too excited to wait.  First coat of primer on. :)

IMG_5472.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Noel said:

It was a most pleasant surprise to learn I had won a raffle prize at the WMRC Easter Layout Exhibition. An Irish Freight Models kit of a CIE Bogie TPO. Thank you WMRC and especially IFM who kindly donated this kit as one of the prizes for the raffle. The purchase of the raffle tickets proved fortuitous as I was just about to order one of these unique kits anyway.

Chaps in khaki dustcoats, sprinting into Lambe's at Ballybrophy, where they each have two pints already waiting on the counter...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I've been studying some photos and have decided to try the CIE Black'n'Tan era version. I will be making some small modifications which is half the fun.  I'll be blanking out the doors where the automatic collection and drop off gear was removed about 1962, and a few other details. I love that these coaches actually had a letter box slot on each side.  Might try and mimic the inside of the windows where they had a horizontal timber baton half way down the inside of the big windows with hooks for small sacks to be attached to. Lights might be another option.

Photo below (C) Paul Haywood's flickr

14671431763_25f3635531_b.jpg&key=95ebe3a

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

Noel, very interested in the TPO project , I think they had the mail catching gear until the late sixties here's another gem from the O'Dea collection from 1967 which show's the TPO forth coach from the loco with the apparatus still attached also interesting is the coach behind the loco some old GSWR coach with whats looks like the windows painted /covered over and possibly being used as van?.

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000306219 

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Informative 1

On 4/5/2018 at 12:01 PM, Broithe said:

Lambe's

The pub on that Film is O'Gormans, Does any one know what station was this shot at (stupid questions I know). Mad Scenes.

Looked up Lambes on an internet search and like a lot of Country Pubs it has closed.  I can't seen any pub now on Google Maps next to Ballybrophy.

confused.gif I suspect this was for another thread @Georgeconna 

39 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

The pub on that Film is O'Gormans, Does any one know what station was this shot at (stupid questions I know). Mad Scenes.

Looked up Lambes on an internet search and like a lot of Country Pubs it has closed.  I can't seen any pub now on Google Maps next to Ballybrophy.

Edited by Noel

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

I think O'Gorman's was in Thurles - a good sprint from the station.

Ballybrophy had two - Lambe's and Phillips's - both gone.

Donaghmore, a couple of miles south, had three, Campion's, Phelan's and now just Mooney's left. And The Green Roads, a couple of miles north of the station is still there - all to far to be 'handy', though.

Edited by Broithe

27 minutes ago, Garfield said:

I think George is referring to the pub the lads stop off in for a pint in the TPO video you quoted above?

Ah thanks Patrick. That's makes sense. I was getting seriously confused. :)  

TedConfused.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I'm just loving this Irish Freight Models CIE Bogie TPO kit. Very straight forward and easy to do. Got stuck in this evening with some tweaks before painting later this week. I had a spare set of Keen systems suspended sprung gangways so reluctantly replaced the excellent ones that came with the kit. As I'm modelling a late incarnation of 2977 (photo Paul Haywood) I've made just a slight modification panelling over where the automatic collection apparatus would have been. Can't wait to run it with 3185 and even with a mk2d rake as regularly happened on the Galway route - strange but true, and it will equally be at home mixed with other B&T era coaching stock.

IMG_6065.jpg

Keen systems suspended LMS gangways with sprung covers will aid close coupling and reduced gap between coaches

IFM_CIE_Bogie_TPO_Kit_01.jpg

As I am modelling a late incarnation of 2977 the apparatus doors have been panelled over

IMG_6062.jpg

Tomorrow running trials with kadee's before painting and transfers over the coming days.  

IMG_6064.jpg

I'm enjoying this kit so much I'm tempted to do another in CIE flying snail green variation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jason brady said:

You were right to change the gangways Noel. Alot more detail on the new set. 

Cheers Jason. The supplied gangway was good quality, it was just I had a spare Keen one left over from other projects and recent kadee conversions made the Keen systems sprung outer door an attractive proposition to minimise gaps between coaches. The instructions with this kit are clear, concise and were easy to follow with good supporting photos. 

• Informative 1

Prep for spraying. Used masking tape to create a wind brake (spray curtain) so I could spray the white and orange in the one session without overspray.

IMG_6069.jpg

These are sprayed in approximate positions prior to reverse masking over them and finally spraying black. The edges of the white and orange don't have a ridge so when spraying black later there won't be a visible ridge line where the other colours ended. Will leave this for 24hrs and then put 2mm masking tape over the white and mask over the the orange.IMG_6071.jpg

• Like 2

CIE bogie TPO kit progress. Decals applied on top of coat of gloss varnish, finished later with a coat of matt varnish to seal and help the weathering effect. Just glazing and hand rails left to apply plus a few tiny little extra bits I want to add from photos. Oh yes and the under frames! :) 

IMG_6140.jpg

Got kadee's fitted which worked really well on track trials due to the sprung Keen gangway. I added a little extra lead weight over each bogie and she is proving a very smooth and reliable runner. I've really enjoyed working on this kit. When finished will post up some pics of her running with CIE GSV 3185.

IMG_6136.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3
  • WOW! 2

TPO running trials prior to finishing.  CIE night mail train. Thought it wiser to test run before fitting the small fiddly bits in case any manhandling was needed with bogies, but all went well and CIE bogie TPO 2974 is running well at all speeds in all directions over a variety of track work and points.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, popeye said:

Very nice, you could run the parcels van with it too.

Heating Van, Second or Standard Class coach (oldish), TPO string of H Vans or container wagons mid-1970s onwards. I have a 10/6/1964  HC Casserley photo of what looks like the up-Sligo-Mullingar Night Main approaching Ballysodare B149 Black & Tan 4w hot water bottle, late 50s green GSR/GSWR side corridor bogie coach, GSWR bogie luggage van & 3 H Vans, no goods brake!

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues on the 3D FUD 42ft wagons by Neil. Fitted kadee couplings tonight and test run on layout.  A little plastic fettling needed to glue kadee no 20s to the Bachmann bogies.

IMG_6466.jpg

Quick check on height gauge.

IMG_6468.jpg

I was impressed with 3D using FUD (frosted ultra detail) so had to try one. Looking forward the IRM wagons later this year.

IMG_6090.jpg

Bell 42ft container arrived on the layout today from C-Rail.  The 42ft flat wagons loading gauge seems lower than 20ft container flats, don't know if thats a model error or was the case with the prototypes.

IMG_6470.jpg

Test runs on the layout went ok with and without a container load.  Now for decals, few paint details and light weathering.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

IMG_6468.jpg

I was impressed with 3D using FUD (frosted ultra detail) so had to try one. Looking forward the IRM wagons later this year.

IMG_6090.jpg

Bell 42ft container arrived on the layout today from C-Rail.  The 42ft flat wagons loading gauge seems lower than 20ft container flats, don't know if thats a model error or was the case with the prototypes.

The 42', 47 & 62' flats were designed from the onset to carry 8'6" containers and the deck/height was lower than the 20' container flats. Apparently CIE operated several "out of gauge" specials with export sugar in 8'6" containers from the Carlow sugar factory to Dublin Port in the early 70s before the bogie flats were introduced, the trains were required to stop and proceed at walking pace while passing beneath certain bridges, the "out of gauge" specials tended to operate at weekends when the railway was a lot less busy with passenger traffic than the present day.

• Informative 1

• 3 months later...

Ok summer break over, back to my toy train workbench. :) Last bit of work on the TPO kit was done in May so time to finished it off. Started with glazing and adding pseudo bars behind the windows rather than paint them onto the clear plastic glazing as I did with the CIE bogie brake parcel van.

IMG_8109.jpg

Used evergreen half round strips painted grey with the round bit facing out and glued to the back of the glazing to give a depth effect. They are obviously over scale thickness but they create the visual effect I was looking for.

IMG_8115.jpg

Only a few more bits to do . . .

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Some more progress on the CIE bogie TPO.  Glazing, window bars, under frame and converted the Bachmann commonwealth bogies to Kadee couplings.

Painted evergreen rods stock onto back of glazing to give some perspective instead of painting the bars onto the glazing.

IMG_8119.jpg

IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8164.jpg

Just the handrails left to do and the internal lighting and tail lamp.

IMG_8126.jpg

More anon . . . waiting for paint to dry on handrails and tail lamp. :) 

• Like 3
  • WOW! 2

9 hours ago, patrick said:

I'm envious of your passenger stock Noel, It's something that falls way short on my layout.

Hi Patrick.  Give it time, those coaches didn't arrive overnight for me. :) Its taken some years. I was inspired by the impressive work of folk I'd seen on here showing what was possible with different mediums and a variety of techniques.  Iteratively trying small steps one at a time.  Started with a single MM Craven, then a resin Park Royal from IFM, Dutch + GSV from SF, and then attempted a few home brews, GSV, Bogie parcel van, TPO.  B&T is my favourite era because it allows an interesting mix of coaching stock in formations, short and long trains, and of course loose coupled goods wagons, and all the operational shunting fun that goes with that as you well know and have shown so well on your superb layout. I've a massive amount of catching up to do on the layout scenics end of things. Noel