Kingsbridge - workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

On 4/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, Noel said:

Photo below (C) Paul Haywood's flickr

14671431763_25f3635531_b.jpg&key=95ebe3a

Just looking at the above in detail, never knew they were fitted with air brakes, or just a through air pipe. Interesting all the same. Wonder what year that mod was installed as there was nothing airbraked till the bogie bulk cements followed by the Mk3s and the Shale wagons.

Lights added. Its 3:12am and the mail train has stopped for 10 minutes at a cold and wintery Portarlington. This is a battery module, but I think I might change it for DCC pickups on the bogies.  The warm yellow LED light flickers gently mimicking the glo from a stove or lantern.

IMG_8169.jpg

2 hours ago, Railer said:

Just looking at the above in detail, never knew they were fitted with air brakes, or just a through air pipe. Interesting all the same. Wonder what year that mod was installed as there was nothing airbraked till the bogie bulk cements followed by the Mk3s and the Shale wagons.

I don't know the year that pipe was added at the sole bar.  I considered adding it, but decoded against for visual appeal with the older coaches.

• Like 1

Just check with the IIRS journal. The modifications were carried out in 1986. Pipes were added to TPOs 2972-2981 and 8 GSVs

The vacuum braked stock had to be marshalled next to the loco. Mails were carried in 20' containers on the bogie wagons not sundries.

They were used on both the Cork and the Galway mails.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

After the summer pause, finally finished the TPO kit.  Enjoyed working on this kit. The only additions I made were a pair Keen Systems LMS sprung gangways, filled in the apparatus panels as I was doing the later CIE variant, stuck bars behind the window glazing, added Kadee couplings to the Bachmann commonwealth bogies, and lighting. 

IMG_8183.jpg

Kit before

IMG_5468.jpg

I'm bored now, what's happening next . . . :) 

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back to B121 project. Jeepers there is an awful lot of wire grab rails on these locos. Nearly done, just glazing, vacuum pipes and some supplementary weathering powders left.

IMG_8533.jpg

Bending all those wire grab rails with a basic needle nose pliers was fun.

IMG_8532.jpg

On delivery 121s did not have full length walkway rails, just shunters stands and grab rails on the body shell. The full length walkway rails were added some time during the Black'n'Tan livery era. I've gone for the earlier incarnation below with a little poetic license.

IMG_8528.jpg

Before painting the grab rails. Fiddle faddle my eyes and fingers are tired. The cab front steps were frustratingly mind bending to form. :) 

IMG_8526.jpg

Nearly done.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

6 hours ago, RobertRoche said:

Looks good Noel, do you have a Bill Bedford handrail bending jig? Handy for these jobs.

Cheers. No, fingers, tweezers and a needle nose pliers. Must investigate one of those after all the fiddle, faddle finger fustrratiion. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Noel said:

Finally got back to B121 project. Jeepers there is an awful lot of wire grab rails on these locos. Nearly done, just glazing, vacuum pipes and some supplementary weathering powders left.

IMG_8533.jpg

Bending all those wire grab rails with a basic needle nose pliers was fun.

IMG_8532.jpg

On delivery 121s did not have full length walkway rails, just shunters stands and grab rails on the body shell. The full length walkway rails were added some time during the Black'n'Tan livery era. I've gone for the earlier incarnation below with a little poetic license.

IMG_8528.jpg

Before painting the grab rails. Fiddle faddle my eyes and fingers are tired. The cab front steps were frustratingly mind bending to form. :) 

IMG_8526.jpg

Nearly done.

Lovely job on a unique livery.

• Like 1

B121 is now virtually complete. Glazing, Railings and buffer beam now done. She is a smooth runner being on a 3rd generation Athearn SW1500 chassis which is centre AWD and AWP. Just got the driver and cab interior left to do and then add a sound speaker. Thrilled to have a 121 to run on the layout on its own and in consist with B141.

IMG_8537.jpg

B121 ready for service

IMG_8544.jpg

The new fuel tank and bogies sides help hide the original Athearn chassis

IMG_8534.jpg

Left drivers window open as it was a hot day.

IMG_8543.jpg

Before - The donor chassis was an Athearn SW1500 3rd generation 

IMG_7587.jpg

In the beginning - Shapeways 121 3D body shell before adjustment

IMG_7585.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 8

That's a very nice "Yank", Noel. 

I have two white metal ones ; can't even remember if they were MIR or Q kits. 

Those handrails are a distinctive feature of those engines and not easy to get right.

Pur her up on the front of your mail train!

Cheers,

Glover

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Word has it that MM121 will be out at Easter 2018!

I really hope so, but I’ll only believe it when I’ve actually got one paired up as a double header with B121 above, bonnet to bonnet hauling a rake of CIE era B&T coaches or IRM bubbles through Gort station layout reenacting scenes from ‘Rails through the West’. :) 

Edited by Noel
scenes not sciences :) Lexdysia strikes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought B121 was finished but noticed earlier I'd forgotten the windscreen wipers, tablet catchers and horns. banghead.gif Doh!

Every time you look at something like this you see more things you want to tweak but there is a time to call a halt, just be content and enjoy the end result. :)  

I hope this is finally finished at last. hyper.gif Time to play methinks. 

IMG_8567.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...

Happy Christmas to all on here. wave.gif Montage below of a selection of 2018 projects on Kingsbridge. May 2019 be a memorable and notable year for all enthusiasts. Lots of exciting model railway things supposed to happen next year hyper.gif hyper.gif It doesn't get better than this. No buses for ages and all of a sudden IRM, AS, MM and OO Works all come along at the same time. If I dreamt this in a sort of Christmas Carol dream back in 1974 I'd have thought scrooge was being mean playing unbelievable mind games, yet here we are, only an RTR B113 is the missing link. We are awash with Irish modelling goodies. For me hopefully 2019 will be the year of Gort and the year the towns' traffic lights will be upgraded from Black&White to three aspect colour with flashing amber. :) :)

KingsBridgeProjects2018.jpg

Edited by Noel
lexdysia again
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress today on the MIR Irish Cement curtain pallet wagons. Fettled body and chassis parts for snug fit. These are nice kits and require minimal tidying up (ie removal of flash, etc). White metal break bits added, then primed with Halford's ready for next phase. I hope to eventually build a rake of these with some fine results already posted on this forum. The only additions I intend to add are stuff like kadee couplings, vacuum pipes, additional weight, tail lamps, etc. I hope to build a complete rake of these over time. 

It is good to see MIR back with their products available via eBay seller 'sylvimcnall-0'. Ian tells me he has more products available than those listed on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sylvimcnall-0/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

IMG_9224.jpg

White metal break gear stuff added saves fabricating parts from plastic card. Holes drilled out for axle bearings.

IMG_9223.jpg

Undercoat primer is the usual Halfords plastic grey primer aerosol can. I keep a can in hot press so it is never cold when being applied. This inexpensive fan assisted spray booth came from BartSharp last year, had duct out velux window so avoided noxious and smelly odours in house.

IMG_9225.jpg

Primed with Halfords plastic grey primer (love this user friendly stuff)  ready for next steps.

IMG_9229.jpg

Now to mix various shades of blue paint (ie one shade for body and another for the curtain sides)

IMG_9228.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3

Slow progress on the curtains, got chassis assembled, basic painting done, decals on, varnished, now just the weathering, vacuum pipes and some paint detailing. I used gloss varnish on the sides of the wagons followed by satin to try and make the tarpaulin sides look plastic and shiny.

IMG_9288.jpg

x

IMG_9290.jpg

A few bits of paint detailing remains, vac pipes, etc and finally some light weathering.

IMG_9287.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Lots more to be completed on the work bench. Its handy having a few projects on the go at the same time so I can stagger waiting for paint or varnishes to dry will swapping between tasks.

Cement Pallet wagons to be finished, timer wagon due some detailing, and 42ft 3D FUD need some paint detailing. Then there is DCC to be fitted to three steam locos (2xWoolwich and 1xJ15). And some unbuilt resin kits to progress. All in good time when the pace suits my energy and interest.

IMG_9809.jpg

• Like 4

A little more progress, slight weathering applied to the cement pallet curtain wagons. Lesson learned, weathering powders, dry or in wash solution do NOT take to gloss varnish surfaces (ie curtain sides in my case). A mix of weathering powders and airbrush, hand painting for other details such as buffers, coupling hooks, curtain tension straps, etc. All that's left to do is the aluminium straps need greying, and add the vacuum pipes and sole bar transfers (ie chassis numbers).

IMG_9846.jpg

• Like 2