Kingsbridge - workbench

Rate this topic

Noel

Diagonal brace straps fitted along with brake gear handle. I'm using Rocket 10-20 second superglue but it's taking a long time to start setting with resin. I know poly glue is useless with resin, so for future resin kits I probably need to use an more suitable superglue. This kit goes together really sweetly. Got the Dapol NEM pockets mounted onto the chassis (ie for kadee's). Now how to get some grey paint inside the body, should have done that before fitting the roof but needed to fit it along with the sides to get a square snug fit while the glue cured. Always learning. :) 

IMG_6349.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Find that abrading the resin surface to give a key for the glue works well, Noel. A fibreglass stick or a bit of gentle filing is all you need, hopefully.

Thanks David, Yes I usually use a micro file to roughen the surfaces, and/or even a bit of grit paper. But the Rocket just doesn't set quickly with resin parts. It's near instant on plastic or other materials such as 3D WSF.

First coat of primer on, now tidy up any issues if I can spot them (ie like fitting the brake lever protector that I forgot).

IMG_6352.JPG

As ever wheels get a coat of sleeper grime print by hand brush. No use having a gently weathered wagon from the 1950s with bright stainless steel shining through from under the solebar. :)

IMG_6355.JPG

Looking at the intricate door arrangement on this wagon, the ramps were quite short on the prototype, so the cattle dock platforms must have been perfect height and gap from the track. Top doors swing open, and lower ramp falls forward onto the platform at the dock. Half tempted to model one of these with the doors open and cattle being herded aboard.

• Like 4

@Noel I would recommend using epoxy glue for resin mouldings, the main structure done complete with epoxy, one could use Rocket 5-10 (it's stronger but does bloom if one uses to much) to assemble small parts and then apply epoxy to reinforce. Cyano does not suffer shock well and bits are liable to spring off....

The insides of these wagons would not have been painted so if thinking of painting a wood colour would be the one......

The doors were right down to the floor and the ramp closed up against them which locked them shut.....

Eoin

• Informative 3

Due to my talent for sticking my fingers together or to kit parts or anything else that happens to be nearby when using superglue I too have used epoxy to good effect on Leslie's kits. Another advantage is having time to correctly align parts before the adhesive sets.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Instead of using the supplied staples for the break gear protector, I cut a strip of thin aluminium and shaped it around a needle nose pliers.

IMG_6357.JPG

Super glued to underside of chassis

IMG_6358.JPG

Door brake gear protector in place after second coat of primer. I'll cut it a little thinner for the next batch of PW bulleid open beat wagons. Easier to work with than staples.

IMG_6363.JPG

Wheels look better rusted and grimed up. At least they won't glint from under the wagons.

IMG_6362.JPG

Edited by Noel
  • Like 2

This tool very useful for shaping brake protectors. It's from Kadee for adjusting the height of their coupler trip pins although I have seen similar tools from other suppliers. Several posts here have commented on the unsuitability of the staples in Leslies kits but I have never had an issue with them, and have built 12 Bulleid opens and 5 cattle wagons.

20200614_121518.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, patrick said:

This tool very useful for shaping brake protectors. It's from Kadee for adjusting the height of their coupler trip pins although I have seen similar tools from other suppliers. Several posts here have commented on the unsuitability of the staples in Leslies kits but I have never had an issue with them, and have built 12 Bulleid opens and 5 cattle wagons.

20200614_121518.jpg

Hi Patrick. Yes I used that kadee tool to shape the staples on the bulleid open wagon for the door limiters. But the staples are a night mare, they keep separating so the next batch of wagons will have alluminum stips instead.

10 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Maybe I should change the supplier of staples?

Sorry you guys have had issues. I hope that you agree that the final result is a good representation of that very spindly brake gear?

Leslie

No prob. It is a good representation. An excellent model kit. Love it. The aluminium strip will do nicely for the  next batch your bulleid open wagon kits.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel,

The cattle wagon is looking really splendid!

With regard to cattle, good ones are available from Dart Castings, Langley Miniature Models, and John Day Models. IMHO, the John Day ones are the best available, but all are good (no connection with any of the vendors other than as a satisfied customer!).

They're all whitemetal castings, so add a decent amount of weight to the finished wagon.

HTH!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Noel suggests doing a CIE cattle wagon with open doors, as Kirley did with my GNR ones.

708382336_v04altered107(3).thumb.jpg.776684ce9c4299fd0e256f7f2b37c404.jpg

To help him long - maybe this helps? And maybe not - can't see the bottom door!

Copyright IRRS Lance King Collection. Noel - can you write small and get the purchaser's name on the door in 4mm chalk? The original photo has FOUR CIE personnel, the buyer or his agent (Mr Lyons?) in a trilby hat and another gent, plus the youngster learning the trade.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

42 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Noel suggests doing a CIE cattle wagon with open doors, as Kirley did with my GNR ones.

708382336_v04altered107(3).thumb.jpg.776684ce9c4299fd0e256f7f2b37c404.jpg

To help him long - maybe this helps? And maybe not - can't see the bottom door!

Copyright IRRS Lance King Collection. Noel - can you write small and get the purchaser's name on the door in 4mm chalk? The original photo has FOUR CIE personnel, the buyer or his agent (Mr Lyons?) in a trilby hat and another gent, plus the youngster learning the trade.

Thanks for that photo Leslie. Looks like the doors in the photo are full length. probably with the short ramp folding upwards against the doors. Road Cattle trucks usually had a full length ramp with folding wings to guide the cattle in. The rain stains are interesting. Somebody had to hose down the inside of these daily and the lower timber panels would have left a gap between the floor so the water and slurry could be washed out.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

It certainly does, but appears to have relied on just the two upper hinges, with the wee "ramp" closing up over them.

A bit like these modern trains which have all manner of gadgetary folding out when the train stops and the doors open, to ensure that even a drunken passenger couldn't fall through the gap.

As I understand it, 'vaping' offers a great range of tastes and smells, so potentially you could have something like a fried breakfast e-cigarette. On that basis we need to get folk interested in cowpat, steam oil, diesel exhaust, etc flavours so that our models could sport additional olfactory experiences!

Equally am sure there is every chance that Noel's weathering is going to plant the Isle of Wight ferry thought anyway. Remember the old joke - what is brown and comes steaming out of cow(e)s?

😥😆😉

• Funny 3

Although it looks like Rosses Point won’t make its exhibition debut due to You Know What, I did toy with the idea of wafting turf smoke out if it with such a device to enhance the experience for the English audience...

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

Slurry!

Reminds me of our first trip to Ireland. We were driving into Roscrea and found ourselves behind a cattle truck. It was spring and the beasts had clearly been enjoying the fresh new grass, so prudence dictated we stayed a sensible distance behind the truck which was leaking a steady stream of slurry on to the road. Roscrea was busy and we were held up for several minutes, during which time a sizable brown pond formed. Two ladies, who had clearly been busy sweeping their front steps and pavement were not amused!

• Funny 4

9 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Slurry!

Reminds me of our first trip to Ireland. We were driving into Roscrea and found ourselves behind a cattle truck. It was spring and the beasts had clearly been enjoying the fresh new grass, so prudence dictated we stayed a sensible distance behind the truck which was leaking a steady stream of slurry on to the road. Roscrea was busy and we were held up for several minutes, during which time a sizable brown pond formed. Two ladies, who had clearly been busy sweeping their front steps and pavement were not amused!

That was rural Ireland in its heyday, Nowadays you'd need an environmental impact study done before loading the cattle, a sleeping bag for a snowflake animal rights protestor, and the EPA to seal off the town with a pollution control incident. At least the cattle came with cooking striations pinned to their ears. 

1 minute ago, Midland Man said:

Now slurry that is a one of those things.

Those beasts would not enjoy where there going sadly:o. A tip when walking around farms is that you walk with your head looking down in front of you. That is if you like clean shows.

Not sure about clean shows (Shoes), but I like to keep my wellies clean, don't like to bring too much of that sort of thing into the cab of the tractor, it comes off on the differential brake pedals too easy. :) 

• Funny 2

Slurry!

We had an incident in a nearby town on the Big Island some years ago, before the practice was stopped.

'Waste matter', basically, guts, other bits and 'liquid', would be transported carefully in open wagons to a disposal facility. The smell was a constant cause of discomfort and there were regular complaints. There were also leakage issues and the odd 'splash' from the open tanks.

One day, a driver was proceeding, with his usual care, through the main street of the town, when a woman in a hurry quite legitimately attempted to use a zebra crossing whilst pushing a pram. The driver had no option but to brake heavily, causing a tsunami to surge forwards, over the cab and about thirty yards down the road.

People were literally covered in it, the driver was trapped in his cab and the state of their front steps seemed of little interest to people with the 'material' in their shops...

Slurry!

No such thing as liquid "slurry" spreading then. Dung was manually shovelled and wheelbarrowed to a dung heap to be periodically loaded onto a horse cart for manual spreading, or later on loaded on one of those curious tractor drawn trailer devices with endless chains to deposit the contents on the field or the large cylindrical drum gizmo with rotating flails.

I live on a country lane which sees a fair share of horses, more than occasionally they leave deposits on the road outside my place! Luckily there is a lady that does roses up the lane, so I give her a call and she's down in an instant cloves, willies n bucket.....

Eoin

Absolutely brilliant, Noel. Thanks for sharing all the detail of the build. I've found it all very informative and helpful as I have just received two UTA Brown Van kits from Leslie which I am looking forward to building for my Larne Harbour project! I have learnt a lot from your thread. Can I just ask what size Kadee you have used on the cattle wagon?