Gort Station

Rate this topic

Noel

7 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Ya mean the way this one did, & all the way to Noo Yawk, into Fitzpatrick’s no less....!

BTB

1DFA0BFB-513D-401D-8DE8-D6EF6B4C13E0.jpeg

That's EXACTLY what I mean!

Disgraceful "stewardship" of railway "heritage" by IE.

7 hours ago, Noel said:

Does anybody know what font in MS-Office is closest to the Irish Gaelic GSR type face?

There's a thing called "bunchlo".  Seems closest to me.

There appears to be nothing that truly is VERY close to it.

• Informative 1

In for a penny in for a pound, I'll have to scratch build the Gort signal box. Gort only really has four unique buildings the Goods shed, station house, water tower and signal box. Can't do three and leave one out. 

Sourced drawings for it which is a help. Below a hornby RTR Box, but Gort is quite a little box distinctive.

IMG_8967.jpg

Its just a start, will do the windows next to get the trickiest bits out of the way.

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.fbee54f38494886a3a8b1e7280cddeca.jpg

Link to photo in Clare Champion (C) John Galvin and John Kelly

http://clarechampion.photoshelter.com/image/I0000RkOBUbm6J4s

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4

Pity about the nameboards.

I'm trying out a new slide scanner (for the Legal Appendage to scan my slides of our sons) and just happened to lift this out - 288323715_Gortnameboard.thumb.jpg.1fac854ecfdc6d49d74e5bf21d71c907.jpg

Taken on some RPSI tour, of course. I took the station building as well, Noel, if of use?

Good luck with the model. Now I know how I should have done mine!

Leslie

• Like 4

6 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Pity about the nameboards.

I'm trying out a new slide scanner (for the Legal Appendage to scan my slides of our sons) and just happened to lift this out - 288323715_Gortnameboard.thumb.jpg.1fac854ecfdc6d49d74e5bf21d71c907.jpg

Taken on some RPSI tour, of course. I took the station building as well, Noel, if of use?

Good luck with the model. Now I know how I should have done mine!

Leslie

Hi Leslie. That’s really useful, thank you. If by any chance you also had a photo of the station building facade from the line side that would be a great help, as I can only find photos at an acute angle taken from the north.

Waiting for glue and paint to set on other items, so made a start to the facade of Gort station ticket office building. The window surrounds will be tricky to fabricate. Guessed the dimensions as I could not find any half decent photos or drawings of this building from this angle (ie perpendicular elevation from track side). The ceilings on the RHS should be about 8ft and 10ft for the centrals section. Another micro project to chug away at.

IMG_9060.jpg

• Like 7

Test fitting the remade goods platform. I wasn't 100% happy with the original versions shape so when remade this one added embossed high grip cobble at the cattle dock end. Was able to adjust the track to give it a better flow while enabling stock to get close to the edges for loading and unloading. Now have to make a small loading dock crane. The original platform will get recycled and reused on the other layout.

IMG_9127.jpg

Peco platform edging strips make it really easy to make platforms from plastic card.

IMG_9126.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the main structure of the station house buildings done

IMG_9319.jpg

Will test fit on the layout tomorrow

Photo below of the station courtesy of Leslie (thanks). 

Gort_Station_building_Leslie.jpg

Dam - I just noticed the roof has lead flashing instead of ridge tiles! Grrr will have to change that. :) 

• Like 5

Buildings of Gort montage. Its the first time I've scratch built model buildings for a very long time (ie Kingsbridge loco shed), but its been fun having a go. Now I can go back and focus on electrics for a while.

GortBuildings20210129.jpg

Edited by Noel
typo brain freeze
  • Like 10
  • WOW! 1

It was this photo by Barry Carse in 'Rails Through the West' book by himself and Jonathan Beaumont ( @jhb171achill) that put the idea and inspiration to do a layout of Gort into my head 3 years ago. Slowly getting near modelling that scene. Once the scenics are done will retake the layout photo in good daylight and see how they match up. The layout design was pretty much done using this photo.

Gort_1974.jpg

• Like 12

A few more pics from this evening of the buildings dry fitted just to see how the whole thing is coming together before any glue, nails or scenics used. Working from photos was really fun and challenging too, but I've really enjoyed the process so far. Thanks to buying JHB's fab book 'Rails Through the west' a few years ago this has been on my heart since then. 

IMG_9364.jpg

IMG_9362.jpg

IMG_9356.jpg

• Like 10

A few daylight photos of prorgess on Gort. I'm really looking forward to shunting stock on this layout when its finished and operational. Only two kadee uncoupling magnets should be needed to shunt the entire yard.

DSC_1612.jpg

B165 about to pick up wagons and join them onto the holding goods train for onward trip to Galway via Athenry. Two wagons will be dropped off at Athenry for later collection by the Claremorris bound afternoon working. The layout only needs 7 points.

DSC_1608.jpg

DSC_1607.jpg

Gort circa 1970'ish a golden era for CIE and Irish railways. A hint of the transition era to containerisation with 20ft Bells. Goods train arrived from Limerick via Ennis collecting some wagons from the loading dock before proceeding to Athenry and then on to Galway

DSC_1603.jpg

Overview shot of the overall station. Two loops made for interesting goods traffic operations. Gort was primarily a station that handled goods traffic rather than passengers being connected to agri heartlands out west.

DSC_1605.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 14

• 3 weeks later...

Few more pics. Got the guttering and down pipes done. Used a ratio guttering kit. Now just need a fews sacks of produce and a few wooden barrels outside. No pallets in this era, no fork lift trucks. This was before modern era, bogies and containers. All manually loaded produce in the CIE golden era.

IMG_9583.jpg

The ratio guttering accessory kit was handy, saved me forming realistic gutters from heated plastic strips. A bit of fiddling here to figuratively ensure water would flow downhill from the overhang into the main roof down pipe. Will have to put drain traps on the ground below these.

IMG_9580.jpg

Overall pleased to have a unique scale model of a real building as it was back around 1970. The basic structure of this building still exists but its all boarded up now.

IMG_9582.jpg

• Like 16
  • WOW! 3

Platforms under construction. Gort's platforms had edging stone, but no over hang nor recess, just a right angle vertical side to platforms from rough stone. This will be the goods yard platform, loading dock and cattle dock. Cattle pen to be constructed shortly.

IMG_9608.jpg

Platform structure starts with Peco platform edging kits, plastic card sheets bought from graphic design art suppliers, and faced with greenstuffworld smooth stone embossed card as well as being packed out to the edge of the platform.

IMG_9610.jpg

IMHO Peco platform edge kits are the easiest and most accurate way to make model platforms at correct height and without meandering edges.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 10

31 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

All coming together really well now Noel!

Cheers Gerry, I was just rooting through my off cuts box looking for pieces that could be cut up for the cattle pens and a small crane for the main loading dock platform. Looks like the walls will have to be a triple layer laminate of plastic sheed to get the correct thickness with round balsa capping.

• Like 1

Gort Cattle dock has simulating that a few cattle have been there. Luckily weathering powders do not also come with synthetic smells! :) A few heifers seem to have had a woeful dose of the scutters after getting off the train.

IMG_9696.jpg

Also test fitting decorated platforms on Gort. Had to ensure they still fitted between track bed after the sides had been padded out.

IMG_9698.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 6

Some emerging Gort scenes as buildings test fitted dry after decoration, platforms test fitted and tested for loading gauge fit. Important to check all this sort of stuff out now, before wiring is complete and before ballasting.

IMG_9709.jpg

View North towards Athenry. Slowly getting into some sort of shape.

IMG_9717.jpg

View south towards Ennis/Limerick direction. Loading dock weathered a bit today.

IMG_9704.jpg

View through Gort Goods shed

IMG_9713.jpg

All loading gauges tested so ready for ballasting next after a wiring test.

IMG_9715.jpg

I so looking forward to shunting on this layout which was inspired by the book "Rails Through the West"

IMG_9708.jpg

• Like 13

Some platform walls constructed today. Capping stone done via strip of balsa shaped to half round and scored to represent each capping stone. Will weather these in a day or so when the paint is dry. These small walls are a distinctive feature of Gort. Now to find the right Gaelic font on my mac for the station board name.

IMG_9733.jpg

Gort's essence is an overall greyness from all the stone.

IMG_9734.jpg

Will weather these walls tomorrow. Pleased with the way the balsa worked into the wall.

IMG_9735.jpg

• Like 18