CIE Supertrain era films

Rate this topic

Eiretrains

I discovered this website via link that was posted on Broadsheet earlier today, has some vintage films from RTE, including a few on transport. I had seen these on TV years back but it's nice to see it again online.

Preparing a Dublin - Cork train 1979, too bad loco 084 doesn't look as good nowadays as she did back then!

Behind Scenes of the Railway 1979, featuring all random stuff including signalling and snatchers.

There are other much shorter clips, but not as interesting as the above.

Might be of interest as we near the release of the Supertrain 071s.:cool:

Fantastic.

Not sure which I prefer, the hair, the uniforms or the peaked caps. Ní bheidh a leithéad arís ann - buíochas le Dia.

Great continuity too - 084 on shed (but was it in the diesel shops rather than the running shed?), 083 backs onto the train, and 076 takes it away.

Thanks for posting, Ciaran,

Alan

Fantastic.

Not sure which I prefer, the hair, the uniforms or the peaked caps. Ní bheidh a leithéad arís ann - buíochas le Dia.

Great continuity too - 084 on shed (but was it in the diesel shops rather than the running shed?), 083 backs onto the train, and 076 takes it away.

Thanks for posting, Ciaran,

Alan

Hope everyone noticed that the 071's main headlights were painted orange too, proof again that Mr Murphy researched them well

Hope everyone noticed that the 071's main headlights were painted orange too, proof again that Mr Murphy researched them well

Absolutely, think this was discussed elsewhere on the forum too. Also the lack of yaw dampers shows good research! We never doubted him for a second.

Absolutely, think this was discussed elsewhere on the forum too. Also the lack of yaw dampers shows good research! We never doubted him for a second.

There are loads of detail differences on the various 071 and 111 class locos and these have been excellently researched by PM for the models. Some locos have token catchers, blanking plates on the cabsides, and others don't. Sinclair antennas are correctly modelled on some variants while others have the more modern IE type antennas. It shouldn't be to difficult to model the various receptacles on the cabfront of 112 if anyone wishes to.

A lot of the time mistakes are made in the livery and printing departments at the factory and Murphy Models aren't the first manufacturer to have suffered that in their pre production products. I am sure that these errors will be corrected before release. The freight livery 071's have some differences across the class in livery and detail application. 075 was released from Inchicore without any IE logos on the cabfront. Some of the locos have white cabside numbers with black shadows and some have black numbers with white shadows. There are locos with cabside blanking plates and those without them. A few of the locos have orange roof horns and 075 has a 141 cabside window fitted at one end. One of them also has black doors on the cab instead of silver.

072's livery looks correct and it is correct in the number color on the model. The blanking plates are correctly modelled also, but the IE logo on the bonnet is to large. However I can also see this (hopefully) being corrected on the production release. The black chevrons with white stripe also need to be corrected on the IE & IR locos and I have no doubt these will also be corrected along with the bonnet side IE logo.

I have just had a look at some photos this morning and from what I can see 077, 078, 087, were still in the IE orange livery in 2010. I have compiled a list of the detail differences on the freight livery locos and if anyone is thinking of re-numbering some of their locos I'll be glad to give them any info they should need.

I can't wait to get mine so roll on October.

Rich,

• 5 years later...
On 8/8/2012 at 9:10 PM, Eiretrains said:

I discovered this website via link that was posted on Broadsheet earlier today, has some vintage films from RTE, including a few on transport. I had seen these on TV years back but it's nice to see it again online.

Preparing a Dublin - Cork train 1979, too bad loco 084 doesn't look as good nowadays as she did back then!

Behind Scenes of the Railway 1979, featuring all random stuff including signalling and snatchers.

There are other much shorter clips, but not as interesting as the above.

Might be of interest as we near the release of the Supertrain 071s.:cool:

Great stuff, I know this is an old post but it's still good to watch, thanks lad.