New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi Broithe

Not fully, the driver is standard but the passengers are an option.

This driver is Oisin McDonald by the way, they are named!

murrayec

That's great - even better, actually - passenger density could be specified?

(I know, I know - most passengers are really dense...)

This thing just gets better and better...

I have to admit I succumbed. Too good to miss!

Hi BosKonay

You've come out! I'm starting on yours next week in an initial batch of six, I'll work on the six until I'm frustrated again and then work on individual orders at a time. Construction will go a lot faster this time as I have some new jigs and things to help.

murrayec

That's great - even better, actually - passenger density could be specified?

(I know, I know - most passengers are really dense...)

This thing just gets better and better...

The standard is 24 passengers. They are a nightmare, always arriving late, leave their feet behind, and require Trans7 to stay in place....

murrayec

The standard is 24 passengers. They are a nightmare, always arriving late, leave their feet behind, and require Trans7 to stay in place....

murrayec

It's the basic problem with any public transport system - the public.

Possibly a special order for one with his feet on the opposite seat?

Hi

Here are a few shots of the business side of the DART model. Sporting my new cast white metal boxing and screw on lid. As you can see its getting pretty tight in there with chip, pantograph arc light control, socket and connectors, and an MS weight! Yet to try and fit a speaker....

The skirts are cast white metal also.

OTB-51 IMAG1192.jpg

OTB-52 IMAG1194.jpg

OTB-53 IMAG1195.jpg

OTB-54 IMAG1197.jpg

murrayec

Hi All

Here is a short video of two DART25's on the test track...

[video=youtube_share;ZvqIV9ozQ6o]

I run them for a few hours, starting with Mr Rice's recommendations- run slow for 10 mins stop and let the motor cool down, then run other direction slow for 10 mins, stop and let the motor cool down. Repeat this until up to half speed and then add the van and run both directions for 10 mins at half speed. Any problems that show up in the beginning stages are sorted and final running in is up to the owner.

It takes a few good runs to bed in the axle bearing bushes in the bogies

Both ran very nice from the onset

murrayec

Hi

Thanks guys for the comments

closetmodeller- an electrical pick-up pantograph would be great, but both the track and the catenary would have to carry power which adds more complex matters to peoples layouts. So far all DARTs sold run on tracks without catenary- though I could be corrected on this. Some intend to install it.

I looked at powered pantographs and they have their problems with their springie joints and the like. The best ones are the diamond type as seen on the German models but so far I have not seen one like a DART

murrayec

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Here are a few shots of Order-01 DART No. 8101 (the first!), which was completed this week and on the way out to it's owner.

There are now 17 Model DART Trains completed.

OTB-55 IMG_4538.jpg

OTB-56 IMG_4516.jpg

OTB-57 IMG_4542.jpg

I have now commenced into the next batch full time! Some items have been fabricated over the last 3 months, all stored away in boxes and jars-n-things. This new build of 8 sets includes orders;- 08, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 18 & 19. The sets will be released from the works according to their order numbers.

My apologies to people whom have been waiting several months on their trains, I underestimated the time it would take to make the tooling for the builds and the time it takes to assemble each order. As I have mentioned before, now that the tools are done this new build will be quicker.

murrayec

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here are a few photo composites of the S-Bahn motor coach, prepared for a chap whom is placing an order. The images are of an old body type without windows overlaid on the DART interior to represent a windowed S-Bahn.

OTB-58 S-Bahn-00.jpg

OTB-59 S-Bahn-01.jpg

OTB-60 S-Bahn-02.jpg

The red colour is slightly washed out by the lighting in the workshop but I think it is a nice livery in the flesh.

You'll notice there is no pantograph- they use a ground supply line on the S-Bahn which connects into the bogies on a number of coaches throughout the train. I think its such a pity we didn't go this way when introducing the DART in the 80's. Catenary is such a mess!

murrayec