New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi driver301

I have been working on an N Gauge DART, but it's at early stage and I have to much in the works at the moment. I will get back to it sometime soon!

A flat shell could be possible- its less work. I just recently worked out a way to print the artwork on a transparent sheet, this gives windows! but I have not given the structure a thought at the moment- the roof curve is the problem.

I'll have a think about and get back

Have you got a chassis in mind?- if so send me the dimensions and a few photos

murrayec

Hi driver301

I have been working on an N Gauge DART, but it's at early stage and I have to much in the works at the moment. I will get back to it sometime soon!

A flat shell could be possible- its less work. I just recently worked out a way to print the artwork on a transparent sheet, this gives windows! but I have not given the structure a thought at the moment- the roof curve is the problem.

I'll have a think about and get back

Have you got a chassis in mind?- if so send me the dimensions and a few photos

murrayec

Thanks Murrayec.

It would be great if you could look into the n gauge one a bit further. Even if it is simply a flat plack kit I will build it.....saves me completely scratchbuilding! The chassis I had in mind is a Tomix one measuring 137mm in lenght x 17mm in width.

Chassis.jpg

Hi driver301

Where would one pick up one of those? I looked around on the www and there does not seem to be anyone in the UK!

murrayec

Hi Murrayec,

I got my chassis from Sean Ryan who is a trader at many shows. He also takes part in the Bray Wheelers swapmeet.

There is also a USA based online shop called Newhallstation. Here is a link to the model, http://www.newhallstation.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/23_25/products_id/634

With a bit of modifying the DMU could be turned into an IE 2800! Keep me posted on the possibility of the N gauge dart flat pack.:tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi All

My apologies for neglecting this thread of recent, I've been very busy building things!

Here are a few shots of the products of the labours, taken today at the MRSI show. The shots are of 2 sets just off the workbench and the display model on the modular layout of Seapoint

OTB-61 IMAG1338.jpg

OTB-62 IMAG1339.jpg

OTB-63 IMAG1341.jpg

Wow that many DARTs in the one frame, just had to post it up!

Eoin

I'd never seen a decent Dart model until seeing these at the show this weekend. Absolutely stunning models and an achievement beyond words. You are a very talented engineer and modeller. Fabulous attention to detail and quality. They looked better than factory produced products. Loved the little detail of the occasional flickering pantograph spark. Congratulations.

Just spent the last while reading through this thread, from the beginning. Inspirational stuff indeed. I really admire your perseverance. There has been such a huge improvement since the original design and I think the passengers are a fantastic addition, which should become the norm for all coaches. I saw it in person at the weekend and it looks incredible. The kids loved it too. I think it was the only model they recognised ... apart from Thomas. I'd love to get a few but I'll have to get a bigger piggy bank first.

I'm sorry but surely the skilled man hours that these lovely looking models take up is value in its self I'm very much an amateur at this game and don't know much about Irish models but to me they look as every bit as good as any of the large manufactures would produce I plan at present to build up all my collection on NIR but when I do stretch out to South of the borders collection I would surely pay the money. Well done to you sir its a fine specimen of the real thing

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here are a few photos of the new digital electrical system. All the leads are now connected with Micro connectors for easy build and dismantling, the sets can now be dismantled to separate parts without the need of soldering iron. The digital loom has an 8 pin connector for chip instillation.

Also the photos show the new etched brass bogie system I’m now making, all new DARTs will be sporting these. They are a bit easier to make than the old bush type, but they come into their own with pinpoint bearings- great running from the start where the bush type had to be run-in to achieve the good running- needing some tweaks and all!

OTB-64 IMAG1362.jpg

OTB-65 IMAG1368.jpg

OTB-66 IMAG1367.jpg

OTB-67 IMAG1361.jpg

OTB-68 IMAG1370.jpg

OTB-69 IMAG1376.jpg

The last shots show it all coming together and together- ready for a little run and its off to it's new owner

Eoin

Fantastic Eoin, the photos are a window to how much work goes into one of these models. The evolution from the beginning to where you are now has been amazing considering how you have kept pushing yourself to get the best possible model you could. You are a one man enterprise and I salute you for what you have achieved. When funds permit I will certainly invest in one.

Rich,

They look very neat. Although I'm not an electric traction enthusiast, I'm beginning to think a 2-car (unpowered) set of one of those behind a 141 would make for a nice 'DART transfer' style train.:D

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/3255092

Hi Eiretrains

I just took an order on Sunday for a CIE Livery Dart no. 8101 with a dummy 141 as per the photo for optional attachment at the front.

Eoin

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Just noticed I have not posted this year yet- well lets set that right!

Happy new year to all

Here are a few shots of the first 2 DARTs completed in 2015

First a 90's DART;-

OTB-70 IMAG1469.jpg

OTB-71 IMAG1471.jpg

Oops some tape still on the windows!!

OTB-72 IMAG1475.jpg

And a DART25;-

OTB-73 IMAG1508.jpg

OTB-74 IMAG1510.jpg

OTB-75 IMAG1511.jpg

OTB-76 IMAG1512.jpg

I'm now completing orders 16, 17, 18 & 19- scheduled to be complete at the end of the month. Orders 16 & 17 are going to be interesting to see with the new 2014 IR logo DART Livery

Eoin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Here is a little sneak preview of the development of an N Gauge Two Car 8100 Class DART.

This is my development prototype model hot off the bench with a number of things yet to be done. I showed it off at the Bray Show today and had great interest, so decided to post these photos up.

Laser printed body wrapped onto glazing body structure on a Tomix 2455 chassis

Next step is to finish off the moulds for the plastic detail parts and adjust the jigs a bit to take the rough edges off!

N-Dart-01 IMAG1565.jpg

N-Dart-02 IMAG1568.jpg

N-Dart-03 IMAG1566.jpg

N-Dart-04 IMAG1567.jpg

Eoin