O Gauge UTA Jinty

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
9 hours ago, DiveController said:

That would be me! Nabbed the last one thanks to a heads up from some cat lover among the Canaries thanks 😊 

Speaking of cats...

I literally didn't turn my back for a second while setting up for the photos, and still...

Nothing was harmed during the photo shoot, feline nor railway related.

IMG_20231130_1527164.jpg

IMG_20231130_1528399.jpg

IMG_20231130_1527326.jpg

IMG_20231130_1527388.jpg

IMG_20231130_1527426.jpg

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 5

An interesting point in relation to this loco.

Many times, in 00 gauge, never mind the lesser used 0 gauge, conversations like this take place:

"It's a pity they don't make a RTR model of _____"

"Well, it wasn't common / wasn't used widely / wasn't on the go in real life all that lonjg, so the market is so limited it wouldn't be worth it"

There were but two of these things. One only worked a few years. The other only worked a bit more than a decade. Neither, with the exception of a one-off trial run to Carrickfergus, ever did anything on this island other than shunt trucks round Belfast docks - they didn't even pull actual "trains", as such.

And yet - here we are; not just a model, but a RTR one; and not just that, but 0 Gauge! And superb it is too.

Yes, I know it's just a re-liveried "British" engine - but - food for thought....?  (did I mention UTA "Jeeps"?)

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

6 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

An interesting point in relation to this loco.

Many times, in 00 gauge, never mind the lesser used 0 gauge, conversations like this take place:

"It's a pity they don't make a RTR model of _____"

"Well, it wasn't common / wasn't used widely / wasn't on the go in real life all that lonjg, so the market is so limited it wouldn't be worth it"

Yes, I know it's just a re-liveried "British" engine - but - food for thought....?  (did I mention UTA "Jeeps"?)

I think a high proportion of Irish rtr models are bought by collectors because of their high potential re-sale value, rather than to something to run on a layout. So in a way the numbers used and use becomes irrelevant, customers tend to buy 1 or 2 models of each variation produced.

Paddy Murphy once used models selling out and potential re-sale value as a marketing ploy on the Murphy Models website.

In a way the NCC/UTA Jinty is a no brainer if you can find a factory that's willing to slot a few "Irish" Jinties into a production run.

Bachmann produced a OO gauge version for MM and Marks appear to have commissioned a Railroad version of the Jinty from Marks.

What next a Hornby Royal Scot masquerading as an 800 class?

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2