O Gauge UTA Jinty

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

Yes, Jon, I saw No.19 regularly at work in my early visits to York Road in 1961, but no mention of her after that - by 1962, 0-6-0 tender loco No.13 was acting as pilot engine.

Comparing the picture on Hatton's website with a photo taken in 1962, they seem to have got the livery pretty well. A potential quick win for "O" Gauge folk?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Yes, Jon, I saw No.19 regularly at work in my early visits to York Road in 1961, but no mention of her after that - by 1962, 0-6-0 tender loco No.13 was acting as pilot engine.

Comparing the picture on Hatton's website with a photo taken in 1962, they seem to have got the livery pretty well. A potential quick win for "O" Gauge folk?

Yes, I believe she was withdrawn in 1963, though probably was stopped before that.

Livery - in NCC times, unlined, plain black.

In UTA times, the “roundel” device (she never got the later crest), with a red coupling rod and the attractive red and light beige UTA lining.

• Like 1

Correct 19 was lying stored in Maysfield Yard by early 1963.and its duties had effectively been replaced by the arrival of 27. Loco 18 had went by June 1956 and was the only loco built by Bagnall to operate in Ireland on the Broad Gauge. 18 was LMS 7456 and 19 LMS 7553 built by Hunslet.

• Like 1

Depends how much compromise you can live with! RTR is rather limited to Dapol stock in this area - some generic looking BR box vans and open wagons are available but would be a compromise eg number of planks used in wagon sides. You’d really need to scratch build a brown van or two, otherwise it will look just like another BR  layout....

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So what O Gauge rolling stock would be passable with them?

Mostly open wagons of coal from the quayside - ideal for a shunting-type layout. Also goods vans of ex-NCC and GNR origin, and of course one or two  NCC “brown vans”.

All loose-coupled, so a goods brake van obligatory.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Suitable(ish) rolling stock can be easily found through Slaters O gauge wagon kits. 

They have a number of MR and LMS vans (outside framed) along with open wagons, that could easily pass off without too much work. 

Paintwork could also make a big difference with plenty of browns/greys with patches of paint work covering old lettering. 

• Like 2

Absolutely Nelson - I’d stuck to RTR suggestions.....Slaters’ kits are quite straightforward to make and unsurprisingly some of their old Midland stuff has a vaguely old style NCC look about them. I made one a few years ago as my first 7mm kit. Do make the chassis up on an old mirror or glass cutting mat though or it may rock about. Don’t ask how I know.....and sorry about the black running gear. I didn’t know any better ! 🙄

0A4F8293-F5AD-47C5-9ACC-A972D00F5129.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 1

• 2 months later...

We're OK with many CIE models now for good stock - but the NCC & UTA have always been neglected! Like CIE or the GNR, British parallels are few and far between. Most open wagons are fine - if not perfect - but cattle trucks and goods vans are different - and brake vans are totally different.

Scratch building for "0" gauge, I suspect, is really the only option for much goods stock. But a shunting layout won't need much of it - half a dozen or 8 wagons, one brake van, and a "Jinty"?

• Like 1

The Slater's tank wagon appears to be pretty accurate for 'over the water', while Alphagraphix card kits can get you started for other wagons. At £3 or so, plus £10 for a chassis and another tenner for wheels, they are good value, or do what I do and use the card kit as a drawing/template to build the model from plastic. Bodywork is pennies - chassis and running gear costs the money in this scale!

Dare I say, the recent Scalescenes micro layout download, as outlined by Ken in that section would make an ideal project to start off in 7mm scale.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Now we need NCC wagons to go with them - and virtually nothing of any other company, especially across the pond RTR stuff, looks remotely like NCC goods stock, with a tiny few exceptions.

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

JB

You must remember that most blokes are a bit colour blind, so it looks OK to me ( and I’ve seen the real thing!!!!).

So have I, but it ain't right!  😉

Nothing a bit of weathering won't cure, anyway............!

Edited by jhb171achill

9 minutes ago, DiveController said:

It’s hard to believe that there’s a market for an O gauge model from NI when relatively few RTR models have been released in OO.

Nice model though I have no track to put it on

Well thankfully, not much has to be done to get an LMS  jinty looking like an NCC one 

no need for all this big horrah about new toolings for small markets 

And if JB is to be believed….there research wasn’t even thorough enough to get the correct colour of lining 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Well thankfully, not much has to be done to get an LMS  jinty looking like an NCC one 

no need for all this big horrah about new toolings for small markets 

And if JB is to be believed….there research wasn’t even thorough enough to get the correct colour of lining 

I'd stake me IRM "A"s on it. Saw them daily, and I know where an actual example can STILL be seen.....

• Like 1

Given that 9 are still in existence on the big island, never say never - it’s still feasible to rerun the conversion! Fairly useful little loco for preservation - and allegedly capable of 60mph. Although I think that the Irish preservation movement has quite enough on its hands already ! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

So…where is the secret barn you’ve been hiding your 5’3 Jinty under straw bales for years.

Now THAT would be telling!

When the RPSI’s No. 4 was last being repainted, traces of the UTA lining could be seen when rubbed down, plus, if you look at the erstwhile Royal Saloon in Downpatrick, one end remains in original UTA green, with traces of the lining colours on it.same colours on coach lining, though different style.

• Like 2