Brookhall Mill - A GNR(I) Micro Layout

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Now there’s a lot of familiar faces! Wonderful event - thanks for sharing. Last time I had a running day with Norman was about 25 years ago when we ran our live steamers on each others lines. Is that a GN 4-2-2 he’s built lurking in the background behind the NCC 2-4-0? Lovely models. And a fabulous setting. Know anyone who could compose a Planxty in its honour ? 

Yes indeed good spot, in a tasty green livery!

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Yes, it was length of traverser and the size of the shops - 39’: Glover tanks needed their buffers removed to fit in! Whether the GN actually needed a 4-6-0 is also a moot point….the proposal came along in 1911, before Glover’s arrival and the design of the S class. As a NER man, Glover was well used to 4-6-0s but obviously chose not to build his own. Indeed, on the NE Glover would have seen how Worsdell’s R class 4-4-0s took over work that the 4-6-0s struggled with! Pic by M Peirson.

The S proved that a large 4-4-0 could effectively do anything the GN asked of it and an S on form with a top crew was even a match for the V and VS. And unlike them, it could also work the Derry Road - and even reach Enniskillen if the civil engineer wasn’t looking….. 

Sorry Patrick - thread creep!! What would Mr Weaver say? 

83A611C8-6F21-4A60-8396-8CDA7C8FAA97.jpeg

I’d like to think he would appreciate the informed post! 

• Funny 1

So the 'open day' at Brookhall Mill last Sunday was a great event, and one of the many nice things to come out of it was to have my OO Works UG locomotive fixed!!!  It had been showing a tendency to jerk and stall around turnouts and it took the keen eye of Mr. Gareth Brennan to spot that this was simply due to the rear coupling hanging too low and fouling the rails at the turnouts!!!  Quickly fixed by Gareth and now the locomotive runs like a dream - here she is in a short shunting video to celebrate her restoration to full working order!

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, the Bandon tank said:

Really like those three GN linen vans. They look really well. nice line up of CIE locos.

Thanks tBt - thankfully Leslie approved of the fantasy colour scheme I applied to the vans!!  I'm looking at upgrading the decals though to red lettering with black shading:

Decals.jpg.30a287d9709bd8c05c91012b491cc89b.jpg

A little project for this year!

On 22/2/2023 at 7:46 AM, Galteemore said:

Great stuff Patrick. Always a relief when the wheels turn properly again! Might you consider swapping out the red water bag for a dun-coloured one? The rest of the scene is so nicely muted that such a small change might help it blend in even more.

Yes 100% - that's on my snag list :)

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

A SPECIAL VISITOR TO THE MILL TODAY

Mr. Weaver famously doesn't like diesels..... however a little chap came to visit him at Brookhall Mill today and I think Mr. Weaver has been smitten......!

With grateful thanks to Alan (Tullygrainey) for making the trip to the mill today and for bringing his exceptional locomotive and beautiful BCDR covered van too.

IMG_0328.thumb.JPG.c74addd3277990010024ce4bfc04282a.JPG

IMG_0322.thumb.JPG.3b3a876ab45d5ccf2cfe9c8ec42ab8f1.JPG

IMG_0331.thumb.JPG.c0124528f6e993931ad6b693f0ce0d57.JPG

IMG_0327.thumb.JPG.aa40a61276252aebec2e1193bf89072d.JPG

IMG_0329.thumb.JPG.5214e960b05f52a4eb6aa3142f04e277.JPG

IMG_0333.thumb.JPG.7c7462d19f7ba8694baa3ada09f20f73.JPG

IMG_0334.thumb.JPG.330e8b29e364a4200e77a1cb250125a1.JPG

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

There was relief on the footplate when Mr Weaver relented and allowed a non-steam interloper to call at the mill. What may have swayed him was the order from the Slieve Donard Hotel for a significant quantity of the finest Brookhall Mill damask which we'd come to collect. 

Many thanks Patrick for the invitation to visit this exceptional location on the GNR(I) network. We had a grand day out. Looking forward to welcoming your UG, or one of those fine diesels, to Loughan Quay soon.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a little video I've been working on this week - it takes the form of a 'walk' around Brookhall Mill plus a journey through time from the 1940s to the 1970s, showing the different rolling stock that will run on the layout. There is no music on this video, but do turn your volume up - I'm not digital yet but I couldn't resist adding some appropriate sound effects just this once.......!! Many thanks to Paul Chapman and Eamonn Redmond for their help!

* Apologies, the video is high quality so might take a while to load.......

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 5

That's a wonderful layout Patrick, I've watched quite a few model railway videos over the years and yours of Brookhall Mill are amongst the best, many others have equally stunning buildings and landscape etc, but your videos take things to a new level largely because of the wonderful music that fits in so well with the video photography. I was a little disappointed when I read your introduction to this video that there would be none of your fine music to accompany it, until I watched and listened to it.....wow, what a masterpiece from the first sounds of the river onwards....This has now gone to the top of my list of favourite model railway videos. Very well done and keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

That's a great video Patrick, really catching the moods. Well done you.👏

Thanks GL - a lot of fun putting it together :)

3 hours ago, Billycan said:

Excellent soundtrack too.

Cheers Billycan!

3 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Its a wonderfully atmospheric video!

Thank you :) glad you enjoyed it!

2 hours ago, Signal Post said:

That's a wonderful layout Patrick, I've watched quite a few model railway videos over the years and yours of Brookhall Mill are amongst the best, many others have equally stunning buildings and landscape etc, but your videos take things to a new level largely because of the wonderful music that fits in so well with the video photography. I was a little disappointed when I read your introduction to this video that there would be none of your fine music to accompany it, until I watched and listened to it.....wow, what a masterpiece from the first sounds of the river onwards....This has now gone to the top of my list of favourite model railway videos. Very well done and keep up the good work!

Wow that's a bit overwhelming SP, thank you very much!!  Am delighted you enjoyed it, it was enjoyable working on it!!  Thank you for those very kind words :tumbsup:

2 hours ago, LARNE CABIN said:

Excellent video, Patrick, and great sound effects. 

Very much appreciated thank you John!  Loving your own progress too - hope it's going well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Nice one Patrick. The soundtrack is spot-on and really adds atmosphere to all the images. You've woven a totally convincing story around Brookhall Mill. So much so, I'm resisting the temptation to start looking for it on the OS map!  

Cheers, Alan

Something like this perhaps Alan? 🤣

116714216_576019533087288_4038984515166926972_n.jpeg

• Like 3

My favourite CIE livery.

0DEC5DDD-EAFF-4EF7-9B5E-4AF10B36E6EF.jpeg

A283691C-B7D0-4F2D-8FDB-65B49F19D2AE.jpeg

AAE3E27B-8843-47AB-97F4-EED6C5E52553.jpeg

And just to counterbalance the above sensible post….. 

Mr. Weaver’s grandson is having his 10th birthday party at the mill and Mr. W has arranged for suitable play equipment to be installed in front of his house for the occasion.

828D0D3C-E40F-4375-AB31-F21D3CFCD417.jpeg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 6

Clearly the young lad is cut from the same cloth as Mr W…..

Totally agree with the livery. Just recalls that immediate post steam era when the railway was still run with proper goods trains, semaphore signals, and little byways such as Ardee and Loughrea still saw trains. And you could get a decent meal on the Sligo Mail….

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

It's 1965. Left to right, first track. Courtaulds coal wagon and ex-NCC loco now used to shuttle between Lisburn and Brookhall Mill. The 121 came as far as Lisburn with the Derry goods, as the "Derry Road" closed a few weeks ago, whereupon that train was taken over by a "Jeep" to go up the NCC. B125 will return light to Dundalk, but has been told to come into the mill en route to collect two linen vans to go eventually to Dugort Harbour via the North Wall and the Tralee goods. The GNR van is also being used to carry linen products out of the mill - it must be the last still not in UTA green.

A46 has two old coaches on an IRRS "outing" (visions of men in white coats when the IRRS talks about "outings"!). It did a farewell run into Newry (Edward St) this morning, this also having closed a couple of weeks ago, and then for the track bashers into Brookhall Mill before proceeding to Bangor via the soon closed Belfast Central line.

The GNR 4.4.0 remains in store, having been withdrawn by the UTA five months ago. It will be destined to remain there for some months longer while the RPSI consider whether they can afford to buy it from the UTA. Sadly, despite being cleaned up in anticipation, this will not come to pass as the UTA requires a price of £800, well beyond the RPSI's ability to raise; besides, it needs two new boiler tubes.

The Woolwich was towed north three days ago by a dirty grey and yellow B130, as the Belfast Transport Museum is interested in it. Like the GN loco, it's been cleaned up too - unfortunately it will end up being scrapped as Witham St. has no room for it. Various wagons are in the background, being loaded or unloaded off the Portadown - Grosvenor Road goods, the B141 from which idels in the background.

Mr Weaver ponders over his cup of tea. "I wonder", he thinks, "would there be ANY mileage in me purchasing one of those old steam engines as some sort of an exhibit here?"................

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

Which is your favourite IRM A class loco........?

I know which is mine!

I recently took my Irish Railway Models A class loco A46 out for a spin on the layout and I realised that I had forgotten just how stunning she looked in her dark green livery, so of course I had to make a video of her shunting at the mill, to a soundtrack of some appropriately 'green' music!! There'll be more from this beautiful loco shortly......

So here's four minutes of glorious green gorgeousness, in glorious HD!

Enjoy!!! 💚

• Like 7