Brookhall Mill - A GNR(I) Micro Layout

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

6 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Some sneaky late night scratchbuilding…… two rickety looking picnic benches knocked up from the sprues of a now-built SMS laser cut product!  These will be suitably weathered and placed on the flat area outside the derelict tea room. 

5CB8C0DF-FF79-4684-81B4-029A8E09F65C.jpeg

Just realised this should have gone in my Clogherhead thread 😂

• Funny 2

On July 4th 1945, a visit was made to Brookhall Mill by a special publicity unit of the US Army, supposedly to acknowledge the role the mill played in the war effort.  The exact nature of this role has never been fully revealed and repeated attempts by historians to access closed government files have been thwarted.  There must be a story there somewhere......

IMG_4858.thumb.JPG.e9eb46763dfb43f9d232e38823e16e10.JPG

IMG_4859.thumb.JPG.13095a904ab1f15063807d02e436deb1.JPG

IMG_4860.thumb.JPG.cac8f0212288b555162e19e5e4d05ae5.JPG

IMG_4849.thumb.JPG.083d70f730cb8796ccb30e999be8f429.JPG

(Otherwise known as 'a flimsy excuse to build some classic Airfix models' (although the staff car actually came from a model company in Ukraine.....)

• Like 10

On 16/2/2024 at 10:17 PM, Patrick Davey said:

On July 4th 1945, a visit was made to Brookhall Mill by a special publicity unit of the US Army, supposedly to acknowledge the role the mill played in the war effort.  The exact nature of this role has never been fully revealed and repeated attempts by historians to access closed government files have been thwarted.  There must be a story there somewhere......

Yes. I have the files in my attic. I'm negotiating with the Irish Times, but they need to seriously up their offer. I can only reveal, at this stage, that the President was planning to have a bit of a party at the White House to celebrate the fact that a seventh cousin of his once met an African man in Missouri who had been to Fenit on a timber ship one time, and having set foot on the pier, was Irish. Thus, by association, the President was too. That's what he wanted new table cloths for.

I remain tight-lipped about the President's daughter visiting Mr Weaver, and that locked-up chalet near the beach in Clogherhead. I do not believe that the signalman on duty at the time was.....  Ah. I won't say any more.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2024 at 7:55 PM, Patrick Davey said:

Delighted to be bringing Brookhall Mill to the upcoming Bangor show!!  @Tullygrainey Alan Nixon of this parish will be giving me his generous assistance (look out for the snazzy red polo shirts!) so please come along and say hello!

Really looking forward to seeing Brookhall mill in person in Bangor, Hoping that Patrick will have lots of specials (that he will no doubt come up with a brilliant reason for). Any chance that @Tullygrainey will bring along some BCDR influence again?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Metrovik said:

Really looking forward to seeing Brookhall mill in person in Bangor, Hoping that Patrick will have lots of specials (that he will no doubt come up with a brilliant reason for). Any chance that @Tullygrainey will bring along some BCDR influence again?

100% to the BCDR visitors!  Looking forward to hopefully meeting you in person MV!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Metrovik said:

It’s been rumoured… Mr Weaver hasn’t said no😄

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Pensive Jinty.

D9BCDB30-14F0-4602-A6C8-97FCBF638342.jpeg

Nice one. You can almost hear it creaking and clicking as it cools down.

42 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Replaced the batteries in my lighting circuits in advance of the show this weekend.

157293F8-0C54-4133-BEBB-43E6BF47B717.jpeg

Five minutes after this shot was taken, Mr Weaver went round switching lights off and muttering about bills

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

17 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

I am assuming that’s ‘Brookhall Mill’ in French……..!

I hope so...

But, I am not reliable.

I once tried to explain to a French chap on a French campsite that there was a crowd of midges every evening, where he was pitching his tent. I'm not sure what I was actually saying, but it wasn't "flies", it might have been "handkerchiefs" or even "mountain goats".

I was also interrogated by an old boy at the last house half-way up a mountain. I think I got the tense slightly wrong in his question - I thought he asked me "Where are you from?", so I told him and he got very animated. Thinking about it later, I think he actually asked "Where have you come from?" which was only the town at the bottom, which would probably have been less impressive to him. I do believe that he thought I had walked across Europe specifically to go up his hill.

• Funny 4

45 minutes ago, Signal Post said:

Didn't manage to make it to Bangor today after all. Got up early and went down to the kitchen for breakfast only to discover the small matter of a leaking roof.......! Hopefully all sorted now and planning on getting up there tomorrow so hopefully will get to see Brookhall Mill and finally meet  @Patrick Davey and @Tullygrainey.

Oh dear. Hope tomorrow has fewer hitches for you. Look forward to seeing you. We're tucked away in a side room. From the entrance, turn left and sharp left again😄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Signal Post said:

Didn't manage to make it to Bangor today after all. Got up early and went down to the kitchen for breakfast only to discover the small matter of a leaking roof.......! Hopefully all sorted now and planning on getting up there tomorrow so hopefully will get to see Brookhall Mill and finally meet  @Patrick Davey and @Tullygrainey.

Jeepers that’s horrible - hope it’s all sorted now and that we’ll see you tomorrow! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

What a great weekend at the Bangor show!  Particularly great to chat to the following forum members:

@Kirley - thanks Kieran for your help!

@Signal Post - super to meet you Damien!

@Metrovik - and super to meet you too John!

@Dunluce Castle - great to see you again Nelson and to meet your dad!

@Dave - thanks again Dave for the BHM baseboards!

@leslie10646 - thanks for the two lovely new wagons, Leslie!

@WRENNEIRE - good to meet you again Dave!

And of course a special word of thanks to @Tullygrainey ~ thanks Alan for your amazing help over the weekend!

Here are a few photos of Brookhall Mill from the weekend, more to follow, along with some video clips.

6233D0B0-F728-4D45-BFB0-33DE026BA886.jpeg

7E3525C6-29FC-4B26-AB72-16127E7ED4C9.jpeg

3761D4B7-4D3C-48E8-8E2D-50623A0AB371.jpeg

E38CC235-BB98-4B8A-98E6-C01A3DE78B8B.jpeg

43C7ED70-817D-4DB3-9149-FC1B9490E700.jpeg

3F795414-9184-491D-BBAB-A2A661C4F6D1.jpeg

689D9B04-394E-482A-9E8F-4EE380422EEB.jpeg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1