Brookhall Mill - A GNR(I) Micro Layout

Rate this topic

Patrick Davey

Some CIÉ action from Brookhall this evening.  Apart from a protesting platform lamp everything is running smoothly!

Those of you with the vision prowess of a large bird of prey will spot that the Provincial Wagons CIÉ vans are as yet unfinished, with buffers and decals still to be added.

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 3
  • WOW! 1

Early UTA days at Brookhall Mill and Jinty No. 18 is still wearing her NCC livery as she arrives with a short goods train from the north. The consist includes two ex-NCC vans as well as a UTA coal wagon and brake van. The two Jinty tanks rarely ventured far from York Road and the Belfast dock lines but this was an occasional working which brought them a far as Antrim before taking the GN route towards Ballinderry and then into Brookhall.

Loco: Murphy Models/Bachmann

UTA coal wagon & van: RTR Provincial Wagons

UTA brown van: Provincial Wagons kit

UTA brake van: built by Gareth Brennan

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 8

When a train from the UTA (ex-NCC) section travelled to Brookhall Mill, it would first go as far as Brookmount station where the locomotive would run around before bringing the train onto the mill siding.  This meant that the brake van would be next to the locomotive on arrival.  Here is a short video showing the shunting movements that would take place after the train arrived, in this case to collect a consignment of linen for the Northern Counties Hotel in Portrush.  Earlier, one of the ubiquitous ex-NCC brown vans had been brought to Antrim, from where a Jinty tank loco brought the van to Brookhall.

• Like 4

Another short video showing a CIÉ train shunting at Brookhall Mill. The procedure was that a mainline goods train from the south would stop at Lisburn, where the vans for Brookhall would be taken off the train and along with the brake van, brought up the Antrim branch and into the mill. The locomotive would then return to Lisburn and bring the rest of the train on to Grosvenor Road Goods Yard in Belfast. The reverse procedure would apply for the return journey.

• Like 7

I had been looking forward to making this video but I was disappointed in the performance of the U class locomotive (OO Works).  Despite being a thing of beauty, it wasn't running smoothly at all but I guess I have been spoilt by the effortless running of the recent IRM diesels.  So I had to cheat a bit and slow some of the video clips down in order to get the desired effect, as the loco just wouldn't negotiate the (Peco) turnouts at anything other than a gallop.  But here's the video anyway!

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

35 minutes ago, popeye said:

If the loco is all wheel pickup it should go over points ok.

Have you cleaned the track recently? It can help a lot.

I don't think it is, I think it just picks up from the driving wheels rather than the driving wheels plus the pony truck, and sends the current back through the tender wheels.

Yip track is cleaned before every running session.

Edited by Patrick Davey

4-4-0s are notoriously hard to get right in model form, and various solutions have been advanced to assist. I won’t bore you with my own GN 4-4-0 weight plan as it’s not relevant to this situation. Try sticking some weight in the cab - temporarily at first - and see if that helps. Lovely work by the way - the late Iain Rice would have thoroughly approved. This thread may also help 

Edited by Galteemore

19 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

I don't think it is, I think it just picks up from the driving wheels rather than the driving wheels plus the pony truck, and sends the current back through the tender wheels.

Yip track is cleaned before every running session.

If the tender has pickup through the wheels it should get all the power it needs

over points. 🤔

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

4-4-0s are notoriously hard to get right in model form, and various solutions have been advanced to assist. I won’t bore you with my own GN 4-4-0 weight plan as it’s not relevant to this situation. Try sticking some weight in the cab - temporarily at first - and see if that helps. Lovely work by the way - the late Iain Rice would have thoroughly approved. This thread may also help 

Perhaps, but my J15 is a pretty weak runner too, I've never had such a problem with any other locomotive, it's jerky and has little torque unless you give her a good lick of power. Steamers do tend to be a bit more tempermental than diesels with running but her running is bad in a very unique way. She almost always needs a bit of a bump to set off and stalls randomly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, popeye said:

If the tender has pickup through the wheels it should get all the power it needs

over points. 🤔

00 Works have a most unusal method for power pick ups on the Us, the driving wheels pick up power while the power return is through the tender, meaning that while wired for power, annoyingly the tender doesn't aid in pick up. Been meaning to rewire mine as its only let down by its poor running abilities.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DoctorPan said:

00 Works have a most unusal method for power pick ups on the Us, the driving wheels pick up power while the power return is through the tender, meaning that while wired for power, annoyingly the tender doesn't aid in pick up. Been meaning to rewire mine as its only let down by its poor running abilities.

The pick up system used by OO Works picking up power through the loco on one side with the return through the tender or the "American" system was commonly used for tender locomotives.

It would be worth while converting the bogie wheels to live axle pick up by fitting "Shorting out Brushes" part 4M52 available from Alan Gibson Works sales@alangibsonworkshop.com or by leaving a message for Colin Seymour on 0044-161-679-1607

The best option to improve running and pulling power is to add weight to the tender and modify the drawbar to transfer weight from the front of the tender to the rear of the loco using 'the weighted tender' system. 

The simplest step would be to add weight to the cab to check whether it improves running before carrying out modifications to the tender or drawbar.

Locos with metal chassis and gearing like the OO Works locos require some 'running in' preferably on a continuous run to allow bearings and gearing to bed in to achieve reliable running as there is less in built slop than rtr diesels with plastic gearing.

image.png.6a848fee6492be3cf339cd70b1b400cb.png

MGWR 2-4-0 with Weighted Tender weights in front of boiler, below motor and front of tender.

image.png.8fc40e034bb5b2dffc62c39c6d412a66.png

Chassis schematic rigid drawbar and floating leading and center axle tender

image.png.c6b1dc491be7cf64fc4002913699cffb.png

Location of weight in tender.

image.thumb.png.9c72526458bc82634295ef00928cf723.png

The 2-4-0 continually hauled 21 IRM 4w wagons on test

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mayner said:

The pick up system used by OO Works picking up power through the loco on one side with the return through the tender or the "American" system was commonly used for tender locomotives.

It would be worth while converting the bogie wheels to live axle pick up by fitting "Shorting out Brushes" part 4M52 available from Alan Gibson Works sales@alangibsonworkshop.com or by leaving a message for Colin Seymour on 0044-161-679-1607

The best option to improve running and pulling power is to add weight to the tender and modify the drawbar to transfer weight from the front of the tender to the rear of the loco using 'the weighted tender' system. 

The simplest step would be to add weight to the cab to check whether it improves running before carrying out modifications to the tender or drawbar.

Locos with metal chassis and gearing like the OO Works locos require some 'running in' preferably on a continuous run to allow bearings and gearing to bed in to achieve reliable running as there is less in built slop than rtr diesels with plastic gearing.

MGWR 2-4-0 with Weighted Tender weights in front of boiler, below motor and front of tender.

Very helpful thanks John!

I am a firm believer in small details making a big difference 👍

B71C627F-6642-44BD-A61C-AADE000BF89C.jpeg

3531181D-2DDC-431D-8781-1D94C0BE0D41.jpeg

3D4E7DB0-31C5-489F-86B9-1132D506F9B3.jpeg

712379CF-6AD8-49E9-981F-795CE77D4A4F.jpeg

3654037C-3A6C-44AC-93E9-7F4326AD818B.jpeg

3264A69F-BC3D-4EA8-B813-BDD377F2C76D.jpeg

165D8D26-5745-4E3E-82D0-BF40C1CDFE10.jpeg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Mayner said:

Interesting, thanks John for the information. Certainly something to ruminage on!

• Agree 1

Two video clips comparing the performance of the OO Works U Class negotiating a Peco Y turnout, before and after weight was added to the tender.  For consistency, the controller was set to '40' for each movement.

BEFORE:

Not great, but oddly better when running tender first.

AFTER:

Seems better to me but I can't run it with all those coppers on it.  Am also afraid to open the tender although obviously this will have to be done.  Any suggestions folks?  Cheers!

• Like 1