New Platform Signage

Rate this topic

Rob

They seem to change the whole lot every few months nowadays.

Would investing in Limerick - Waterford services not be a better use of money, along with a Foynes - Limerick - Athenry - Claremorris - Westport passenger service?

Bit of a difference in price, of course, but every step in the right direction is good..............

• Like 2

In UK attempts to "glitter" the unglitterable  is the focus of image managers and consultants to keep the "wheels" of industry turning. calling 800 class Azumas leads to Motezumas revenge and the Hull trains fleet of unsuitable express trains are Paragons which of course nicely mutates to Parody...       

When Arriva departed the scene on the Welsh Railways the Transport for Wales controlling body spent more than few quid expunging the Arrivaimage with  little bits of tape  on trains and with wide vinyl tape on station signs - and really  badly applied in the Cambrian coast stations I passed.  Now the signs got another layer when Transport for Wales decided on an image, which might have been an omen as recently TfW has dumped Serco and taken line operation underdirect rule - same managers  of course many ex Arriva employees who were slated for not running brewery  tours very well....  

Thus all this needs expensive publicity and imaging campaigns while the public want a safe on time arrival and at best a seat with fares as cheap as possible.   I feel sorry for Ireland if the same manics are now steering your railways!!        

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DoctorPan said:

NTA branding, bringing all PT services into line with a constant branding for the public. How long before we see an ICR or 29000 in NTA colours I wonder?

Yes, TFI branding on the bikes icon at the bottom.

Screenshot_20201204-195605_Gallery.jpg

6 minutes ago, NIR said:

At least it looks like they took the old ones down, I remember three different lots of signage at some DART stations twenty years ago

Indeed; that's something!

From when railways opened until the 1970s, the highly visible station signs with the name in large plain letters was deemed good enough - and it was. As others have mentioned, it's all about idiots with drawing pens and "creative" ideas now, screwing vast sums out of public companies for.....a change of font and colour.

Must be high time that IE changed their logo again. The "chequered flag" one has now been in use for over a year!

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Yes, TFI branding on the bikes icon at the bottom.

OK, that actually may make a bit of sense.......provided they keep it for a good while! That's why both the "flying snail" and CIE "roundel" became so instantly recognisable - each was in use for well over twenty years.

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

That’s the cheap part of it. The expense comes in hiring the image consultants who tell them what to make ! 

Exactly!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Oh dear, I might have missed my train if it wasn't for the natty green stripe.

For regular users the benefits are not visable, but for non regular users and tourists the benefits are more easily seen. One only has to look back at the launch of Go Ahead with the general public asking if they accepted leap card like Dublin Bus.

• Like 1

The new signs are ok and hopefully will last a bit longer this time. I have no problem with the idea of a common typeface and sign design for all PT nationwide. That's a good thing, but pick a design and stick to it.

I find the use of the "Platform" agus aris as gaeilge to be completely superfluous on a railway station. There's no need to clutter the sign with words that are not needed. There's even a pictogram of a train if it isn't clear enough with the numbers alone. Signs should convey information as quickly as possible and wherever possible words should be replaced by pictograms and numbers. There are people who have difficulty reading be it due to being sight-impaired or dyslexic or whatever. There's no need to over-complicate their lives and we can all understand pictograms.

Anyway I don't mean to be overly negative. The common "identity" is most welcome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

The new signs are ok and hopefully will last a bit longer this time. I have no problem with the idea of a common typeface and sign design for all PT nationwide. That's a good thing, but pick a design and stick to it.

I find the use of the "Platform" agus aris as gaeilge to be completely superfluous on a railway station. There's no need to clutter the sign with words that are not needed. There's even a pictogram of a train if it isn't clear enough with the numbers alone. Signs should convey information as quickly as possible and wherever possible words should be replaced by pictograms and numbers. There are people who have difficulty reading be it due to being sight-impaired or dyslexic or whatever. There's no need to over-complicate their lives and we can all understand pictograms.

Anyway I don't mean to be overly negative. The common "identity" is most welcome.

It's daft parrotting platform numerals in both languages, a "3" is a "3" whether it's Irish or English.

I wasn't fussed about the older orange/black ones. The orange lettering was hard to see against white background in poor light and made worse by signs fading, rendering orange nearly invisible. 

• Like 2

Yeah the orange/black on white were not really visually impaired friendly either. Barely any contrast between orange and white.

I hadn't noticed the platform number signs in the background in the image posted by Rob. They are exactly right, why they needed to use a different design between the two signs is a bit of a mystery to me. The sign in the foreground would be far easier to read if it just had the three platform number "shields" like the sign in the background!

Just a point on putting "Platform X" on the signs, the number of people I used to stay "it's on X" to and get a completely blank look back shows it's actually needed, and not the 6th train to depart )or whatever they think).

Then if you put it in English you have to put it in Irish as per the Official Languages Act 2003