New DART 8100 Model

Rate this topic

murrayec

Hi guys

It was great to meet you both today at the show and thanks for your comments.

Since the windowed version became available just over a month ago I have taken 5 orders to build. I aim to have 3 of them complete for the Blackrock Show at the end of the month, coupled with the existing one we should see an 8 unit DART running- hopefully!

I'm going to be busy!

murrayec

Saw this in the flesh finally today and I have to say it looks stunning and runs beautifully. Pics don't do it justice. Top work!:-bd

That's high praise Fran. I know your attention to detail is a priority when comparing a model to the prototype. I also think that Eoin picked the right member of the Dart classes to model. I can see some very scenically beautiful waterfront layouts appearing in the future of Booterstown, Blackrock, etc. You could also have MK11's on a run to Rosslare or Connolly. Bagged cement, Anhydrous trains for Shelton Abbey, RPSI trains, the possibilities are huge.

Rich,

Hi

Following on from RedRich's vision of 'very scenically beautiful waterfront layouts appearing in the future'

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here or a bit mad, but;-

If people in the future are planning layouts depicting Booterstown, Blackrock, etc, (i have started on Seapoint and Dun Laoghaire station) would it be an idea that these layouts could come together at times to display at shows and the like? With a bit of forward planning I think this could be achieved and would create an amazing diorama of this line that has so many features that no one modeller could fit in one layout- but with several modellers it could be achieved.

My design for the Seapoint Martello Tower has this thought built in;- the design allows the Ordinance bridge to be changed so that I can use it on my two track layout I use to test the Darts and then changed so that it fits on Dave's single track we use at the shows!

Just imagine in the future a layout that could run from a station in Dublin out to Bray including all the key features along the way! and even getting madder, there is no reason to stop there, I'v seen a layout of Killcool (sorry I don't know the man's name). Its endless, well there is Rosslare!!

Mad or what?

Maybe this could go on a new thread and see what you all think or can contribute

murrayec

Hi

Following on from RedRich's vision of 'very scenically beautiful waterfront layouts appearing in the future'

If people in the future are planning layouts depicting Booterstown, Blackrock, etc, (i have started on Seapoint and Dun Laoghaire station) would it be an idea that these layouts could come together at times to display at shows and the like? With a bit of forward planning I think this could be achieved and would create an amazing diorama of this line that has so many features that no one modeller could fit in one layout- but with several modellers it could be achieved.

My design for the Seapoint Martello Tower has this thought built in;- the design allows the Ordinance bridge to be changed so that I can use it on my two track layout I use to test the Darts and then changed so that it fits on Dave's single track we use at the shows!

Just imagine in the future a layout that could run from a station in Dublin out to Bray including all the key features along the way! and even getting madder, there is no reason to stop there, I'v seen a layout of Killcool (sorry I don't know the man's name). Its endless, well there is Rosslare!!

Mad or what?

Maybe this could go on a new thread and see what you all think or can contribute

murrayec

A lot of American layouts are done in a modular fashion like that, designed to clip together and be portable. Worth looking up for ideas.

One of the lads in South Dublin Model Rail Club has created ( with many contributors) an n scale modular scale , this has been exhibited at some of the recent exhibitions.

Also CIE commissioned SDMRC to create a 00 scale layout based on Dun Laoghaire station in 1984 for the launch of the DART, this also included Dart rolling stock, the layout is in storage at present but would need to be updated the reflect the current Station layout.

Thanks

Paul R.

Hi

Mad or what?

murrayec

Good idea Eoin, you could be onto something here. It happens a lot on the continent. Pearse Street would be a good starting point.

Rich,

One of the lads in South Dublin Model Rail Club has created ( with many contributors) an n scale modular scale , this has been exhibited at some of the recent exhibitions.

Paul R.

Hi Paul

Yes, they call it T-Track, its a local and world buzz. Groups can set-up like at the DLR show or go abroad to set-up with foreign groups. Some schools are doing this- Newpark in Blackrock I know are doing this- it may not be T-Track but I'd say a similar design.

I love N Gauge and I have several 600x1200mm layouts that sit on the coffee table , but OO Gauge has to be the one to set-up I reckon because it fits in with what the majority are modelling. And for detail, the Irish models available, modelling ease and viewing enhancement.

Another idea is- items that are constructed could be used on home layouts when not out on show. So the builder gets the benefit of the hard work all the time not just when the whole thing comes together. This is what I first thought when I saw T-Track.

murrayec

I thought that myself; indeed i have discussed with another member on here putting together a terminus in the style of post-1963 Kilkenny or Newcastle West, by joining our resources. This could go to exhibitions and be joined with another two, to produce two termini "out the line" - but each of the three could function on its own in the owner's house with a fiddle yard. Member L E, email me....

Myself and Jack Dunboyne have discussed this before, using modules of 1 mtr long x 500mm wide. I can make these modules for €50 each plus legs. This ensures all baseboards are exactly the same and are fitted with alignment dowels ensuring the modules line up exactly.

I would be interested in doing something like this.

Hi Dave

Yes that would be great but I feel that the board should be in the region of 2x.6m to be able to model some of the scenes! That's not to say they cant be smaller though- say if someone wanted to do Merrion Gates Crossing it could be on a module .6 x.6m. Some boards could have side tracks like Dun Laoghaire where rolling stock could be shunted and played with for main line trains to come and pick up but while that is going on the main line is open for the Rosslare RPSI excursion to do its own thing.

There would have to be an allowance for boards to line up in various configs- again say Dun Laoghaire Station that I have planned has the off-shoot down the Carlisle Pier, this would be a board situated 90deg to the incoming and outgoing main line track boards. Another situation is Dalkey Hill Tunnel- this would be a stunning section with a long run, say over two boards- one for the curve of the hill and the other for the straight run after the tunnel heading to Ballybrack station- imagine standing out in Killiney Bay watching model trains appearing out of the hill and down the long run!

Yes, BosKonay- see my previous post about a new thread

There is a couple of us on the forum that have CAD resources and design ability that with a little work could design a system- I'm one

murrayec

Sounds clever Dave....

Maybe worthy of starting a 'Modular' group layout thread in the Layouts section?

Yes I think we should start a new thread, if their is enough interest in this.

Eoin,

600mm wide is ideal but I would keep the lengths to 1200mm at most. This keeps the cost down as sheet material is 1220mm wide, its also easier to transport.

Broithe hit the nail on the head when he said Genius! I always imagined building the whole Northern Line but never like that. I'd love to build Donabate bordered by two estuaries, the beautiful strecthes of coast at the Lady's Stairs and Gormanston Airfield, a busy Drogheda station with Enteprrise,s Tara Mines and Cement, then Boyne Viaduct and beyond!

Hi IrishModelRail

I'd love to see that one of Donabate with the two estuaries, I'd love to see all your suggestions. You have the same problem I have, and I think most people into this idea- I want to build them all!!

Move over to 'Modular OO Layout' thread in Irish Model Layouts and input your ideas

Deadly we are up to Drogheda now- huge!

murrayec

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Now back to DARTS

Great to meet all who came to our table at the BR show, the complimentary comments about the windowed DART have humbled me! If one can say that and not sound to soppy!

Brilliant to discuss the building of it, and amazingly to talk about the story of it documented on this thread- everyone knows about it.

Check out What's On thread to see some photos of the show.

also...

For the forum boys- I have now taken 3 orders directly related to this thread, deadly!

murrayec

• 3 months later...

Hi All

Haven't done a post in a while, been busy! I am currently a month and a bit behind schedule so any of you with orders please hang in there. Orders 1, 5 and 7 are coming to completion and some parts for the next batch of orders- 8, 12, 13 & 14 are made.

Here are a few photos of the current build;

OTB-34 IMAG1106.jpg

This is a photo of the basic build steps in constructing the model.

OTB-35 IMAG1107.jpg

OTB-36 IMAG1111.jpg

OTB-37 IMAG1110.jpg

OTB-38 IMAG1104.jpg

This photo shows the new interior side print.

OTB-39 IMAG1116.jpg

OTB-40 IMAG1112.jpg

OTB-41 IMAG1119.jpg

OTB-42 IMAG1121.jpg

The production line!

OTB-42 IMAG1124.jpg

The passengers have to leave their feet behind!

murrayec

saw these babies in the flesh at a show in Dublin and the running model even had sparks comming from the pantograph as in the real thing when touching sections of the overhead power lines!- superb models and will get one when funds allow. as Steven commented a price guide would be good Eoin...so i can start putting by for one.