New Members

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Thank you all for your friendly welcome, that's really great. I made up a first thread about building a SSM kit on Monday.

About the layout: This will take time, the plans are not yet drawn at all and we first need to make a concept what all should be integrated. I saw there once was an iriish railway station offered, but browsing throug the internet I realized that for the Clonmel station the main Building is not part of that offer. Any Ideas how to put together an ensemble that could be regarded as irish?

About my nick: I also have one of those Sentinels, hence the nick name. I will show a picture when I manage to make one. Alas the masters of the exhibition I participated last weekend always turned off the light just a few minutes after the end of opening times so I did not have enough light to make pictures of it on a (continental H0) layout. I improved the outer apperance by replacing the couplers and by adding real coal to the tender openings which in my eyes needs to be done on nearly all steamers with open coal storage. To all of you that consider ordering one: The Sentinels are sent from Kernow, in my case the package just covered the original box of the model without any aditional smoothening material, which led to the loss of a sand box which I needed to reglue (no problem as the breaking point of the plastic was in an invisible place). What I am really unhappy about is the construction itself. The brake assembly consists of one part with four legs that are glued in one hole each at the bottom of the chassis. Because of that the brake assembly is not removable and the whole chassis must alwas remain together. It is not possible to take out the axles or have a look at the gear without destroying the brake-assembly. Maintenance hopefully is not necessary hence impossible. Just my 2 cents.

So thanks again,

Gerhard.