Customs & VAT

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Hi Everyone.

Anyone in the know about Customs declarations on items coming from the UK.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this Customs Declaration ?

The sender has sent it twice & now it's being sent back for the second time.

I would ask Customs but I can't find a place to ask the question.

Tony.

order-47682-cn.pdf

EDIT: 

I asked An Post online on X what the problem was & this is the reply I got.

It seems to me that An Post aren't getting the full information electronically from Royal Mail ?

Hi Tony, With items coming a non-European Union country to Ireland, it's required that a detailed Import Declaration with information about the exporter / sender and receiver is submitted. This data is then electronically sent to An Post for processing. But unfortunately, this item was rejected due to insufficient information being provided to us electronically. Due to the high daily volume being received, physical inspections are not possible, so the process heavily relies on automation. If the declarations are missing essential details, the system cannot generate a valid import declaration, leading to the item being rejected. The issue comes from the sending postal administration's failure to provide necessary data. When we lack the vital information for clearance, the only option is to return the item to the sender unfortunately. -Megan

Edited by amdaley

30 minutes ago, amdaley said:

Hi Everyone.

Anyone in the know about Customs declarations on items coming from the UK.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this Customs Declaration ?

The sender has sent it twice & now it's being sent back for the second time.

I would ask Customs but I can't find a place to ask the question.

Tony.

order-47682-cn.pdf 52.05 kB · 11 downloads

EDIT: 

I asked An Post online on X what the problem was & this is the reply I got.

It seems to me that An Post aren't getting the full information electronically from Royal Mail ?

Hi Tony, With items coming a non-European Union country to Ireland, it's required that a detailed Import Declaration with information about the exporter / sender and receiver is submitted. This data is then electronically sent to An Post for processing. But unfortunately, this item was rejected due to insufficient information being provided to us electronically. Due to the high daily volume being received, physical inspections are not possible, so the process heavily relies on automation. If the declarations are missing essential details, the system cannot generate a valid import declaration, leading to the item being rejected. The issue comes from the sending postal administration's failure to provide necessary data. When we lack the vital information for clearance, the only option is to return the item to the sender unfortunately. -Megan

I was about to reply and say the entry itself looks mostly fine except for the 0 value.. But the electronic info behind it is what really matters as An Post insist on a correct electronic entry since Brexit

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, amdaley said:

This data is then electronically sent to An Post for processing. But unfortunately, this item was rejected due to insufficient information being provided to us electronically.

This has happened to me several times with items being sent FROM Ireland to Las Canarias.

The AED (Advanced Electronic Data) has been missing or incomplete, even though there has been a physical CN23 declaration attached, and the parcel has been rejected up in Madrid automatically.

Both physical and electronic declarations must be complete for goods entering and leaving the EU.

I just got this back from An Post which explains that Royal Mail are at fault.

Hi Tony, The issue comes from the sending Postal Service failing to upload this necessary data electronically for customs to assess in advance of delivery. As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data, the item must be returned as a result to the sender. We understand this is frustrating however this is outside of our control. If you wish to discuss this further, you can contact our ecomm team, please provide the tracking number. You can call them on 017057600 opt.6, lines are open from 9:00 a.m. to 17:30 p.m. Monday to Friday & 09:00 a.m. to 14:00 p.m. on Saturday or email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie -Megan

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amdaley said:

I just got this back from An Post which explains that Royal Mail are at fault.

Hi Tony, The issue comes from the sending Postal Service failing to upload this necessary data electronically for customs to assess in advance of delivery. As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data, the item must be returned as a result to the sender. We understand this is frustrating however this is outside of our control. If you wish to discuss this further, you can contact our ecomm team, please provide the tracking number. You can call them on 017057600 opt.6, lines are open from 9:00 a.m. to 17:30 p.m. Monday to Friday & 09:00 a.m. to 14:00 p.m. on Saturday or email ecommchargequery@anpost.ie -Megan

That has been An Post's standard approach for a good while now, they put the onus on their overseas Postal partner to get the info correct and they won't deviate from it no matter what you tell them. It is massively frustrating being caught in the middle and seeing your package bounce back and forward across the Irish sea, but it is understandable in a way as otherwise they would be overwhelmed by a wave of mis-declared imports that would be very labour intensive to fix and clear. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I find that An Post's Address Pal service works very well. You get a UK address in Hatfield Herts and An Post forward the item to you in Ireland. AND they fill in all the customs paperwork correctly. 

Details at:

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

They also provide you with a USA address.

Only downside is if you are buying new items you end up paying both UK VAT and Irish VAT, but it is ideal for second hand items on ebay and avoids the high charges of their global shipping service.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I find that An Post's Address Pal service works very well. You get a UK address in Hatfield Herts and An Post forward the item to you in Ireland. AND they fill in all the customs paperwork correctly. 

Details at:

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

They also provide you with a USA address.

Only downside is if you are buying new items you end up paying both UK VAT and Irish VAT, but it is ideal for second hand items on ebay and avoids the high charges of their global shipping service.

I'd forgotten about them.

I used them a few years ago.

Edited by amdaley
  • Like 1

This is the reason I signed up for the parcel motel, my daughter tried to send me my birthday present three times and each time the same issue as @amdaley, generic replies from anpost blaming royal mail etc, my birthday was early May and she is getting it returned today so she will post it to Belcoo later this week, it's frustrating.

• Informative 1

I wonder if they're just making this up as they go along ?

I just had an email from the seller Richard Croft of Roads and Rails in Leeds.

This is the information he received from An Post.

"Hi, I know what the problem is now, I had an email back from AN Post

They won’t accept items with a value of zero, so because the 3 for 2 offer shows an item at zero, which is on the customs form, they won’t deliver the parcel, if I delete the free item off in future it should solve it.

Strange thing is I’ve had a 5 for 4 offer on speakers for around 5 years now and its never caused an issue, must be a recent change"

I've asked him to try with my package again just to see if the information is accurate as it seems different to what An Post told me yesterday ?

Tony.

Just a word from a supplier's viewpoint.

I've sent stuff to both Addresspal and Parcel Motel and they seem to work very well.

Getting stuff to John in the Canaries fell over when the last lot was returned after six weeks - more to do with local problems on the Island, it seems.

These agencies rely too much on Artificial Intelligence at times and it's not THAT intelligent. I suspect that another issue is that people (when they exist at all) are poorly trained, or take the easiest option. Service? Don't make me laugh!

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, amdaley said:

I wonder if they're just making this up as they go along ?

I just had an email from the seller Richard Croft of Roads and Rails in Leeds.

This is the information he received from An Post.

"Hi, I know what the problem is now, I had an email back from AN Post

They won’t accept items with a value of zero, so because the 3 for 2 offer shows an item at zero, which is on the customs form, they won’t deliver the parcel, if I delete the free item off in future it should solve it.

Strange thing is I’ve had a 5 for 4 offer on speakers for around 5 years now and its never caused an issue, must be a recent change"

I've asked him to try with my package again just to see if the information is accurate as it seems different to what An Post told me yesterday ?

Tony.

It probably tallies with what An post said to you, rather than being contradictory. The 0 value on his entry may have been the missing information on the electronic customs entry that An post were referring to. It was the only thing that I spotted that was wrong on the entry you posted..

Not sure about the 5 for 4 offer, maybe he hasn't shipped any to Ireland since An Post started insisting on correct electronic entries for overseas orders, which was about 18 or 24 months ago now if I recall..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MOGUL said:

It probably tallies with what An post said to you, rather than being contradictory. The 0 value on his entry may have been the missing information on the electronic customs entry that An post were referring to. It was the only thing that I spotted that was wrong on the entry you posted..

Not sure about the 5 for 4 offer, maybe he hasn't shipped any to Ireland since An Post started insisting on correct electronic entries for overseas orders, which was about 18 or 24 months ago now if I recall..

He says he ships quite a few items to Ireland so it could be just potluck ?

Either way is very annoying that after all this time we still haven't got it right 🙄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, spudfan said:

Have a loco from ELLIS CLARK TRAINS on the way. Got an email from An Post this morning that there was vat of €23.78 and an An Post charge of €3.50 to be paid. Just paid it. Ellis Clark deduct UK vat.  

Is it a new or second hand loco ?

2 hours ago, spudfan said:

This is the description . Preowned as they say. Their grading is always good and I have bought from them in the past if they have something I want to get.

Hornby OO R3778 DB Schenker Co-Co Class 66 '66097' - Clark Railworks

Nice to know Clark deduct the UK vat.

Usually when buying second hand you end up paying Irish vat on top of the Uk vat which was already in the price.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, amdaley said:

Do TMC deduct the UK vat on second hand as well ?

Just tried a 'virtual' order from TMC for a pre-owned item, it looks like they deduct VAT.   Only niggle that I have when ordering from TMC is that for overseas, you have to request a postage quote which usually they send you via email the next day.   

Also you have to ask them for the tacking information after item has been shipped, apparently Royal Mail are supposed to do that but for some reason the system does not work, this is the email i had in response to my recent order. (just paid Anpost the VAT this morning, so hopefully delivered tomorrow). 

Hi John

The tracking is an ongoing issue with Royal Mail. We have chatted to our account manager about this but no resolve as yet.
When they scan your parcel into their van from their collection at our place each afternoon you are supposed to be sent a tracking reference.
I can only apologise that you are not getting this.
We do eventually get a copy of the reference number which is below but for us to send it out to customers would be a manual job every time and we just don’t have the time to do that.
We hope Royal Mail sort their automated tracking reference issue out soon

Hope that helps

Thanks and speak soon

Andy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

Just tried a 'virtual' order from TMC for a pre-owned item, it looks like they deduct VAT.   Only niggle that I have when ordering from TMC is that for overseas, you have to request a postage quote which usually they send you via email the next day.   

Also you have to ask them for the tacking information after item has been shipped, apparently Royal Mail are supposed to do that but for some reason the system does not work, this is the email i had in response to my recent order. (just paid Anpost the VAT this morning, so hopefully delivered tomorrow). 

Hi John

The tracking is an ongoing issue with Royal Mail. We have chatted to our account manager about this but no resolve as yet.
When they scan your parcel into their van from their collection at our place each afternoon you are supposed to be sent a tracking reference.
We do eventually get a copy of the reference number which is below but for us to send it out to customers would be a manual job every time and we just don’t have the time to do that.

Hope that helps

Thanks and speak soon

Andy

Royal Mail 🙄

As bad as An Post.

• Agree 1

When I was tracking my packet from Ellis Clark with Royal Mail, there was a link to continue tracking which automatically brought me to the An Post track and trace page. The packet number was there with the An Post status.

When the packet was ready for dispatch, Ellis Clark sent me an email with the tracking number. Clicking on this number automatically linked to the packet status on the Royal Mail tracking system.

As I paid the VAT to An Post today, it will be interesting to see when it arrives with me.

Edited by spudfan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, irishmail said:

Hi John

Hope that helps

Thanks and speak soon

Andy

I ordered from TMC yesterday and got it posted to Belcoo, simples.

• Like 1

How long would you normally wait for delivery after customs/VAT paid.  Last item I had was delivered next day but seems like Anpost have gone on a go slow again.  No update on tracking since yesterday morning.

Paid yesterday morning and got email receipt and conformation and stated they would now 'deliver' my parcel.  

04 July 2024 11:29

Customs charges have been paid. Your item will be processed and delivered as soon as possible.

04 July 2024 11:21

A customs charge has been applied to this item and details have been sent to you. The fee can be paid on our website, or at your local post office.

02 July 2024 18:25

Item information received from the sender/retailer

• Like 1