Customs & VAT

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

37 minutes ago, spudfan said:

As An Post has passed the charges(minus collection fee) on to Customs and Excise, An Post cannot issue a refund. It will have to come from Customs and Excise. So if An Post has made a mistake they no longer have the money. It will not be easy chasing up a refund.

For around 2 quid not worth the hassle but if this was something with a larger price and they did not convert from USD to EUR then this would be worrying for sure.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

For around 2 quid not worth the hassle but if this was something with a larger price and they did not convert from USD to EUR then this would be worrying for sure.

Its not the money at all George. Its just the principle of the whole thing considering all the unnecessary fuss An Post made of the VAT changeover.

It seems they can do whatever they want & the poor customer just has to take it on the chin.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Simple solution people, buy your stuff at home, if the major retailers dont have it post on the for sale thread and see if you have any luck, or come to Bray Wheelers 😇

If only they could get the stuff, Order a Doublo MN and W1 from Marks, No show. Never got the MN and had to order the W1 from the UK. Its a bit hit and miss TBH. Maybe not Marks Fault as shops in the UK had problems too but does not give me much Confidence. Popped into the Cork shop the other day, Woeful stock from Paints, Glues, Rolling Stock etc...

as I said before massive opportunity there for him.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, amdaley said:

Are An Post still charging €3.50 Post fee ?

The reason I ask is that I got notified of Vat due on a package from Rails with no Post fee charged.

Tony.

Same here. I wonder if rails had done all the paperwork so an post didn’t charge on top?

Absolutely ridiculous two decades into the 21st century we have to put up with this. Packages being inspected returned to sender, disappearing into Limbo, receiving ransom notes from Revenue and An Post. Bloody 19th century Pony Express would have been more reliable, efficient, and cheaper! It's all very well to say buy local or buy EU but when the most popular scale most on here model in is by and large a uk thing.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

Same here. I wonder if rails had done all the paperwork so an post didn’t charge on top?

Yes but Rails don't collect the Vat & that's what the An Post fee is for.

42 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Absolutely ridiculous two decades into the 21st century we have to put up with this. Packages being inspected returned to sender, disappearing into Limbo, receiving ransom notes from Revenue and An Post. Bloody 19th century Pony Express would have been more reliable, efficient, and cheaper! It's all very well to say buy local or buy EU but when the most popular scale most on here model in is by and large a uk thing.

Its a pity that Revenue aren't so quick to take money from the big boys.

No when they go to court the big boys expensive lawyers tie them up in knots.

The ordinary person in the street is an easy catch 🙄

• Like 1

Has anyone had any orders or delivery's from Hatton's this year?   If so did you encounter any problems or delays?    Ordered an item on 5th January, posted 6th January, Royal Mail 3-5 day delivery, as yet 20th January nothing.   

Pity Hatton's don't use DPD to ship to Ireland. Ordered an item from Screwfix.ie on Monday, it being shipped from England and will be delivered today.  If DPD can deliver why can't Anpost?

Fcek! Ordered a couple of items from England today and totally forgot about the customs. Excluding bills, letters from my employer and, the hospital, it'll be the first time I'm not looking forward to getting something in the post. Before the majority of British voters put the 'X' in the wrong box it took up to 2 weeks for me to receive parcels from the main-land. It'll be interesting to see how lo g it will take now.

5 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Fcek! Ordered a couple of items from England today and totally forgot about the customs. Excluding bills, letters from my employer and, the hospital, it'll be the first time I'm not looking forward to getting something in the post. Before the majority of British voters put the 'X' in the wrong box it took up to 2 weeks for me to receive parcels from the main-land. It'll be interesting to see how lo g it will take now.

You might get lucky, I've ordered a few bits from different suppliers and have had mixed results. Took 2 weeks for an order from DCCconcepts to arrive plus i got hit with customs, however, it only took 4/5 days for a parcel from Provincial Wagons to arrive and didnt get hit with customs.

it must be luck of the draw because my order from Provincial was more than my order from DCC!

3 hours ago, skinner75 said:

I'm amazed that is the going rate - I would have expected £1 to be worth less than a Euro at this stage. 

Exports reportedly down 70% on pre B-word levels

Indeed! Sterling's value is a complete mystery to me at this stage. For each backward step their economy takes, its value seems to increase rather than decrease.

Mark

• Like 1

On 22/12/2021 at 9:27 PM, Georgeconna said:

Does not give any information though Tony on if it is prepaid or not, Technically if there is no postage fee or incoterms noted we would have to add that on to our customs entry. maybe the same here too.

i have challenged a couple of customs charges by providing proof of payment paid paypal is brillant for it the funny thing is ebay items are supposed to be duty paid here from ebay uk but some are still been charged for

3 hours ago, connollystn said:

It's hard to avoid buying items from the mainland, sometimes, it just has to be done. It's a bit of a nuisance but you should think about the value of what you're buying (are you happy with what you've bought) and not the price. 

There is no customs/VAT charges from the Mainland of Europe 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, amdaley said:

My wife got a Customs card from An Post last week for an item that was delivered about three weeks ago 
If not paid we'll send the package back.

Good luck with that one.

It was a help to light the fire 😂

Same here. Our eldest son who lives in the UK sent us a package of gifts for Christmas, he filled out all the necessary forms and the package still did'nt arrive until mid-January. We then received  a customs notice a week later; pay or else. Yeah, good luck with that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, irishthump said:

Same here. Our eldest son who lives in the UK sent us a package of gifts for Christmas, he filled out all the necessary forms and the package still did'nt arrive until mid-January. We then received  a customs notice a week later; pay or else. Yeah, good luck with that.

I only buy stuff from UK retailers where I know I won't have trouble with them.

I used to get a lot of items from E Bay but not any more as the postage & vat have gone crazy on that site now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irishthump said:

What retailers would you recommend? I've pretty much stopped buying for the UK completely since brexit.

I have bought recently from Rails, Hattons & Coastal DCC.

They have different ways of dealing with the Vat.

Hattons charge the Irish vat & the package comes straight through.

Rails & Coastal DCC deduct the British Vat & you pay the Irish Vat when the package comes in.

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

On 30/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, amdaley said:

My wife got a Customs card from An Post last week for an item that was delivered about three weeks ago 
If not paid we'll send the package back.

Good luck with that one.

It was a help to light the fire 😂

They should really describe on the letter they send you itself what your paying for. I got a customs letter in the post about a week ago for what I thaught was for Oxford wagons I already had received (hence I ignored it)…..i looked over it just now, and realised that it was for a JM designs Brake can I had pre-ordered in almost 2021! And had forgotten about it….the only reason I copped it was the tracking ID ended in “NZ” (New Zealand) 

All the letter offers you in terms of info of the item is the value of the item…..which wasn’t enough for me to realise what it was. It’s more then possible since once you input the information into the website, it says “MODEL TRAIN PARTS” or something along those lines and the origin “JM DESIGN TRAINS” or something. is it that hard to print this onto the customs letter 

• Agree 1