Customs & VAT

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

I had an interesting response to a complaint I lodged with the Office of the Communications Regulator that An Post was misleading customers and postal authorities by advising that items were rejected by the Revenue Commissioners and items still in An Post's possession had been returned to sender.

The Irish Communications Regulator basically replied that they did not want to know, as I had not lodged an official complaint with an Post and were not interested in anything to do with customs.

An Post advised me early in September than an item was rejected by the Revenue and had been returned to sender, but managed to scan the item in the Dublin Mail Centre four weeks after it was returned to sender, eight weeks later I can only assume that An Post have lost the item as it has not re-materialised in the NZ Post tracking system or been physically returned.

On the positive side I am trialing DHL Express for a high value DTP shipment to the UK, our DHLs account managers advice was not to complete or worry about the customs declaration as they would complete it correctly as customs clearance is included in the shipping fee.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Mayner said:

I had an interesting response to a complaint I lodged with the Office of the Communications Regulator that An Post was misleading customers and postal authorities by advising that items were rejected by the Revenue Commissioners and items still in An Post's possession had been returned to sender.

The Irish Communications Regulator basically replied that they did not want to know, as I had not lodged an official complaint with an Post and were not interested in anything to do with customs.

An Post advised me early in September than an item was rejected by the Revenue and had been returned to sender, but managed to scan the item in the Dublin Mail Centre four weeks after it was returned to sender, eight weeks later I can only assume that An Post have lost the item as it has not re-materialised in the NZ Post tracking system or been physically returned.

On the positive side I am trialing DHL Express for a high value DTP shipment to the UK, our DHLs account managers advice was not to complete or worry about the customs declaration as they would complete it correctly as customs clearance is included in the shipping fee.

I see the communications regulator is as useful as the financial regulator we used to have 🙄

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Nice!

I have one of the regular production run of the Dapol Western. They're a cracking model!

Had to Scramble around the loft looking for a 21 pin for it from another loco. Runs Lovely. Has the Weird wiper on it but something a bit different,

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

customs clearance is included in the shipping fee.

Yes it is normally but does not mean the Taxes payable are covered. That would be the buyer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Had to Scramble around the loft looking for a 21 pin for it from another loco. Runs Lovely. Has the Weird wiper on it but something a bit different,

I installed sound from Legomanbiffo. There's a huge amount of room for a bass reflex speaker, and like you said they're a great runner. 

4 hours ago, amdaley said:

I see the communications regulator is as useful as the financial regulator we used to have 🙄

I worked for regulatory bodies in both Ireland and New Zealand, sometimes they end up in the pockets of the industries they are intended to regulate.

Large organisations such as Government Departments, regulatory bodies, the banks and An Post tend to behave as a living organism and tend to treat any challenge or criticism in a similar manner to our antibodies fighting an infection and are prepared to fight most challenges through the courts until the plaintiff either dies or runs out of money rather than admit to a mistake or error.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mayner said:

I worked for regulatory bodies in both Ireland and New Zealand, sometimes they end up in the pockets of the industries they are intended to regulate.

Large organisations such as Government Departments, regulatory bodies, the banks and An Post tend to behave as a living organism and tend to treat any challenge or criticism in a similar manner to our antibodies fighting an infection and are prepared to fight most challenges through the courts until the plaintiff either dies or runs out of money rather than admit to a mistake or error.

Well the last financial regulator we had in this country used to play golf with the very bankers he was supposed to be regulating & we all saw how that turned out 😡

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

To date, my customers have been lucky, to get kits, but don't try BOOKS!

We've just had a parcel returned to us (£10 of postage down the drain), the An Post docket said "unrecognisable customs code", or some such - my associate posted it, so I don't have the exact wording. Needless to say the Royal Mail aren't terribly helpful, suggesting that we send it again - are you kidding, another £10 on books worth £20?

As someone said earlier, exports UK to the Republic are reducing, because they're well-nigh impossible.

And here am I trying to raise money for a series of charities (like the RPSI, IRRS etc) .........

Time to retire and concentrate on being a grumpy old man!

Leslie

PS My late father was a Customs Officer (UK) so I can hardly start smuggling now ........

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

We've just had a parcel returned to us (£10 of postage down the drain), the An Post docket said "unrecognisable customs code", or some such - my associate posted it, so I don't have the exact wording. Needless to say the Royal Mail aren't terribly helpful, suggesting that we send it again - are you kidding, another £10 on books worth £20?

As someone said earlier, exports UK to the Republic are reducing, because they're well-nigh impossible.

And here am I trying to raise money for a series of charities (like the RPSI, IRRS etc) .........

Leslie

PS My late father was a Customs Officer (UK) so I can hardly start smuggling now ........

are books not vat exempt

• Agree 1

On 3/12/2021 at 12:23 PM, leslie10646 said:

Leslie

I’ve been posting books to people in Ireland, U.K. and further afield. One got lost in post (to USA), and two were delivered in England with (British) charges whereas others went OK ; one was sent back to me from England.

Edited by jhb171achill

Be warned Kernow are Classifying their shipments under a Tariff code with duty, I have a parcel with DPD I am playing Email tennis with them on. Who ever advising them need to be sent away somewhere dark.

Electrics trains have their own code 950300300, See arrow in the pic below, Kernow advise it is 95030075 which is 4% in the circle.

Doing me head in.

image.thumb.png.fea1e3efaf34dea017e13d89e3ebac9b.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It's a bit of a minefield, why don't Kernow just use the electric trains code, I don't think the Customs people

would know the difference and it would be better for their customers.

Sometimes you might buy several items that fall into both categories, so which code do you use then? :facepalm:

Its a W1 Hush Hush so 0% applies.

I've explained the reasoning behind the codes to them, Ie other toys with Motors, Not sure if it is HMRC has advised them or a consultant.

Man Alive If they are importing their Railway stuff from China into the EU before and now the UK with this code then they are due some Claw back on duties.

Wonder could I get a cut!! :)

• Funny 3

42 minutes ago, popeye said:

It's a bit of a minefield, why don't Kernow just use the electric trains code, I don't think the Customs people

would know the difference and it would be better for their customers.

Sometimes you might buy several items that fall into both categories, so which code do you use then? :facepalm:

If you buy Railway stuff you are fine, Other toys  etc would have to be declared under their own codes and duty applied if need be.

and this is a year on....Man Alive.

• Like 3

So, what happens if some things are motorised like a loco and you buy some coaches to go with it,

all bought together.

Is there one code used or two?

I bought some coaches from Marks Models in Dublin to be sent to N. Ireland and no problems.

But it does make buying from the EU a bit scary. And also for anyone in Ireland buying from England.

Just now, popeye said:

I bought some coaches from Marks Models in Dublin to be sent to N. Ireland and no problems.

Seems no probs with that.

Those who live in the north may not be aware that down here the postal service treats all of Ireland as one unit; thus, if I post a letter from Cork to Coleraine, or Lifford to Strabane, it's local rate. I am aware that a letter coming the other way has to be treated as "international" postage.

Same for parcels. Now, as far as actual customs are concerned, it seems that so far anyway, the "protocol", the Common Travel Area, either or both, results in no issues for parcels posted south to north - not sure about the other way round.

It's when they travel from Ireland to Britain or vice versa that problems seem at arise. The only sure-fire way around it is for those of us who can, get anything ordered in Britain to be delivered to a friend or relative WITHIN Britain or the north, and for those who live in either, vice versa.

I now have routine that whenever a relative (who lives in the UK) visits me, anything I've ordered online from a British supplier appears too! 

• Like 1

The TARIC coding depends a lot on the shipper or logistics business sending the item.

I use DHL Express for the more high value DTP shipments, my DHL shipments go under 9503.00.9990 which basically accepts any type of kids toy as the "Electric Trains" 9502.00.3000 code is not on their data base.

Interestingly my Account Manager suggested searching under Train Set which would have incurred a 4% duty.

At this stage I am seriously considering DHL Express for all my Irish shipments as I am still experiencing problems with NZ Post and An Post despite using the correct TARIC codes.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2

On 16/12/2021 at 6:43 PM, Mayner said:

The TARIC coding depends a lot on the shipper or logistics business sending the item.

I use DHL Express for the more high value DTP shipments, my DHL shipments go under 9503.00.9990 which basically accepts any type of kids toy as the "Electric Trains" 9502.00.3000 code is not on their data base.

Interestingly my Account Manager suggested searching under Train Set which would have incurred a 4% duty.

At this stage I am seriously considering DHL Express for all my Irish shipments as I am still experiencing problems with NZ Post and An Post despite using the correct TARIC codes.

Taric is for Europe John. you might be on the HTS set up there.

An Post always have an answer for everything 🙄

I'm completely puzzled by what happened with a package from the Ukraine sent to my wife last week.

The total value of the contents was $30 including postage as can be seen by the customs declarations & what was on the invoice as well.

declaration.thumb.jpg.b936b2927f30317aea7a73b55255fb64.jpg

She received a customs charge for €11.88 as they valued the contents at €36.47 ?

2110476881_Customsvalue.thumb.jpg.d1df2b88605826abd5547a27e3a2e0ab.jpg

I queried it with them & this is the reply I got back today.

"Thank you for your email.  

The customs charges that have been applied to your item are generated off the declared value and postage that the sender provides.   

This is beyond our control as we cannot amend any information provided on the electronic declaration. 

I would advise you to contact the sender / exporter regarding this issue as we can only go by the information supplied to us at source.    

Below I have attached a below breakdown of how the customs charge was calculated.   

Total Contents in (EUR)
€30.00

Postage in Currency (EUR)
€6.47

Contents Total
€30.00
Postage Total
€6.47
Total
€36.47

Import Duty
€0.00
Excise Duty
€0.00
VAT
€8.38
An Post Fee
€3.50
Total Payment Due
€11.88
There is no refund due on the below item from An Post as the charges were applied based on the information An Post received from the sending country.

Kind regards "

Why would a seller put one value on a customs declaration & invoice & then have a different value sent electronically ?
I smell a scam here as it seems An Post can put whatever value they like on a package & there f**k all you can do about it 😡

Tony.

Edited by amdaley

As far as I know postage is taken in to account so €30 plus €6.47 would put the packet over the €30 limit. You packet was listed in dollars but comes in at €26.50 and postage of €5.30 puts you over the threshold. However you were charged in Euro initially instead of dollars which is wrong. You can appeal this but it will be a long process depending on who you are dealing with.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, spudfan said:

As far as I know postage is taken in to account so €30 plus €6.47 would put the packet over the €30 limit. You packet was listed in dollars but comes in at €26.50 and postage of €5.30 puts you over the threshold. However you were charged in Euro initially instead of dollars which is wrong. You can appeal this but it will be a long process depending on who you are dealing with.

I don't know where they got the €6.47 postage from as the total including postage was $30 ?

We don't mind paying as long as its fair & above board.

I have queried it with them but I don't expect to get anywhere as it seems they can do as they like.

Edited by amdaley

If you can get the correct person who is willing to take the time to sort this out  it can be done but it is pot luck. Bureaucracy can be annoying and time consuming. You will probably spend many an hour on hold dealing with this but best of luck.

Edited by spudfan
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, amdaley said:

I don't know where they got the €6.47 postage from as the total including postage was $30 ?

We don't mind paying as long as its fair & above board.

I have queried it with them but I don't expect to get anywhere as it seems they can do as they like.

Does not give any information though Tony on if it is prepaid or not, Technically if there is no postage fee or incoterms noted we would have to add that on to our customs entry. maybe the same here too.

• Thanks 1

Most customs/postal agencies seem to have the common sense to pad the CN number out to the local TARIC (for example 10 digits long in Ireland, 11 digits long in Germany, etc., clearly not a uniform EU standard) but An Post made a meal of it. Hopefully they have made some changes as returning masses of parcels that other countries' agencies have no problem delivering clearly wasn't sustainable. It is actually damaging to Ireland's international reputation. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1