Customs & VAT

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

22 hours ago, murphaph said:

For generic stuff like craft supplies it makes little sense to gamble with a UK supplier these days and a lot of sense investing some time trying to find a reliable supplier in Ireland or failing that somewhere else in the EU. I can recommend https://www.architekturbedarf.de/versand as a satisfied customer. Shipping to Ireland is a flat €30 it seems so you'd want to get a decent order together to make it worthwhile. The good thing with hobby supplies like this is that you can always find more stuff that you will eventually need to make up a decent order. I am generally easily able to hit an €80 order to get the free shipping inside Germany, just by ordering a second of this or that.

The retailer we ordered from is registered for Irish VAT and the invoices show VAT at 23%  and not UK 20%.  Despite this we were asked for additional VAT from Anpost which we paid (the retailer did refund this additional payment straight away) then they decided to send it back.  It may well be still sitting somewhere in Dublin as retailer has now had any return of our package yet!

Quote from the web chat we had with Anpost on 20th September.

"This item was scanned as send for delivery on the 10th however it was then =scanned to be processed for return to
sender on the 16th, I would advise that you contact the Ecomm team on ecommchargequery@anpost.com and
they will be able to clarify what is happening with this item."

Also could you please tell me why additional VAT & customs charges had to be paid as the company concerned is
registered for Irish VAT.

According to customs there was Vat owed of €6.62 and the €3.50 An Post processing fee, you can query these charges
with the Ecomm team also."

Email was sent to this Ecomm and as yet still had no reply!!!

Yep. It is just too risky wasting time on GB retailers at the moment unless they stock a particular item you just can't get in the EU. This definitely happens in our hobby unfortunately but for generic stuff there's always an alternative. Maybe it'll improve as everyone gets used to the new barriers to trade and as more Irish people look elsewhere it should reduce the amount of stuff coming in from GB. Also the more freight the likes of DHL, DPD and GLS move between Ireland and the continent, the cheaper it should become. 

I've bought loads of stuff from other EU countries and it always arrived.

Below is the message I received from An Post this morning. The declarations attached to both my packages were exactly the same. The first one was stopped but the second package will be delivered in a couple of days. It seems to depend on who looks at your package 🙄 What's happening seems very haphazard. Who are "they" & who exactly is looking at these packages? 

HI Tony,
Apologies for the delayed response. Checking the tracking on the item RN764173590GB, it appears to have been cleared for delivery last night and is currently being processed to be sent down to the delivery office today. I would expect you should have it in the next day or two.
It appears that RN764173586GB is in a clearance delay I'm afraid. This delay would be due to the volume of items that would have been received over the last few weeks and they are working from a backlog and are behind on handing items back to us. 
According to our system there was no electronic customs declaration provided electronically by the sender. As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data, the item may be returned as a result to the sender. Items now do require both an electronic and physical copy of the customs declaration form to be provided. If the physical declaration is found sufficient by itself and the item is cleared, it would be handed back to us and will get an updated scan to say it has been sorted in our Parcel Hub and it will then be delivered soon afterwards from the local delivery office. For now just keep an eye on the tracking Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused.
- Sean

I reckon that a lot of blame lies with An Post. They are not capable of dealing with the logistics industry as it is today, not capable of training their staff, not capable of dealing with changes, and are generally still living in the eighties.

As an anecdote, shipping from Ireland to Las Canarias was suspended in March 2020 due to Coronavirus. Shipping resumed three months later when we came out of lockdown and the flights started arriving. (Yes, we've been out of lockdown since June 2020).

However, since then, the An Post website says that no shipping is available to Las Canarias. Yet if you walk into an actual An Post office, and they will send the stuff down here no problem.

That's a year and a half that their website is out of date, and they have been contacted numerous times by various senders. If they can't get something that simple correct, how on earth will they survive BrExit, customs, VAT etc???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I reckon that a lot of blame lies with An Post. They are not capable of dealing with the logistics industry as it is today, not capable of training their staff, not capable of dealing with changes, and are generally still living in the eighties.

A friend of mine got a job in a sorting office a few years back, and only lasted a couple of weeks before he packed it in. He said the carry on was ridiculous - the boss & crew going off for hours long lunch breaks etc

He packed it in as his back isn't in great shape & they were expecting him to do all the donkey work being the new guy.

Not saying they are all like that, but the 80s mentality you mention was certainly the case in that centre!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

I have spoken to a customs officer 0n 01 7383685 picking the An Post option which I think is number 6.

They told me that anything to do scanning & collecting Duty or VAT on incoming mail is purely down to An Post & they (Customs) wouldn't be involved at all.

They said that An Post have been contracted to do this & receive a fee for each item.

So we know who to blame 😡

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

As an anecdote, shipping from Ireland to Las Canarias was suspended in March 2020 due to Coronavirus. Shipping resumed three months later when we came out of lockdown and the flights started arriving. (Yes, we've been out of lockdown since June 2020).

However, since then, the An Post website says that no shipping is available to Las Canarias. Yet if you walk into an actual An Post office, and they will send the stuff down here no problem.

That's a year and a half that their website is out of date, and they have been contacted numerous times by various senders. If they can't get something that simple correct, how on earth will they survive BrExit, customs, VAT etc???

18 minutes ago, amdaley said:

I have spoken to a customs officer 0n 01 7383685 picking the An Post option which I think is number 6.

They told me that anything to do scanning & collecting Duty or VAT on incoming mail is purely down to An Post & they (Customs) wouldn't be involved at all.

They said that An Post have been contracted to do this & receive a fee for each item.

So we know who to blame 😡

That just about sums it all up. An post just do not have a clue on how to deal with this.  I have two items which were supposed to be sent back, but I believe they are still sitting somewhere in Dublin.  

Still not had any response to my emails I sent to Anpost.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

This is a post from a UK supplier taken from the An Post Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/AnPost

"Same here. My customer's item arrived in Dublin, got through customs, got to the sorting office then disappeared. It's now showing as 'couldn't be delivered, being returned' but my customer never received a thing to say it was awaiting collection or whatever. Seems to be a common occurrence at the moment. I've sent items to Ireland from the UK before, not a problem. Everything was done through Royal Mail click and drop and all IOSS numbers were on the parcel. There seems to be huge problems with AN post at the moment." 

• Angry 1

8 hours ago, amdaley said:

The rules regarding VAT and importation are pretty well established in some statute, I'm sure. Based on what is being stated in this thread An Post would by a preponderance of the evidence likely to be in contractual breach due to its failure to correctly and fairly execute its obligations, without adequate remedy, redress or financial compensation to a large unknown number of users. The bottom line being the most important component of this to An Post is where appropriate resolution should be sought in the form of a class action as individual actions will not yield any satisfactory outcome ... just sayin' like

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, DiveController said:

The rules regarding VAT and importation are pretty well established in some statute, I'm sure. Based on what is being stated in this thread An Post would by a preponderance of the evidence likely to be in contractual breach due to its failure to correctly and fairly execute its obligations, without adequate remedy, redress or financial compensation to a large unknown number of users. The bottom line being the most important component of this to An Post is where appropriate resolution should be sought in the form of a class action as individual actions will not yield any satisfactory outcome ... just sayin' like

While An Post are responsible for customs clearance and collecting vat, Revenue and Customs set the ground rules and expectations of how An Post carry out these duties including expectations around minimum standards for customs declarations.

I had some interesting feedback from another carrier that indicates that the problem may not be limited to An Post.

Basically all carriers are experiencing problems delivering IOSS shipments to a small number of (un-named) EU countries, the problem is driven by national Customs Authorities taking their own interpretation of the new EU vat rules which is leading to inconsistencies within the EU.

This is leading to challenges for IOSS sellers applying standardised processes across all 27 EU States, sometimes resulting in IOSS customers being charged Vat & admin fees by the local customs authorities.

I was advised that the major shipping and logistics companies have raised the issue at high level with the EU in Brussels and across all 27 EU states.

Personally I suspect the Irish Government saw the new rules as a golden opportunity to collect VAT on every parcel arriving in Ireland and decided to plough ahead without considering the practical implications for An Post or its customers.

• Informative 2

Well, managed to chat again to An post customer services via webchat,  it appears that both our packages are still in Dublin!   One since 10th September, the other since 20th September.  Just got a feeble excuse that there is a delay of retuning items.   

Part quote from the web chat.

"Chris 16:02
This item has been processed to be returned to the sender. The customs declaration which was provided electronically
was insufficient. As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data, the item must be returned as a result. Please
refer to the sender to arrange for the item to be re-issued with the correct customs information (as per the changes
introduced on 1st July) once it arrives back in the country of origin. Please find more info here http://anpost.com/Customs.
I am sorry I cannot offer you a more favourable reply today.

john 16:03 when is it going to be sent back? no update on tracking since 23rd sept.

Chris 16:06 all details will update as this is dispatched and received back to Royal mail

john 16:06  so is it still in Dublin or has it been sent back?

Chris 16:07 it is being processed for return

john 16:08 so when will it be sent back. tracking says return to sender on 23rd?
it was received in Ireland 10 days ago

This parcel we paid additional VAT and then found out it was due to be returned, I contacted ecomcharge but had not
reply. The retailer has not received this back yet.

Chris 16:18
there is a slight delay with returns t the moment , The tracking will update soon to reflect its most recent status. as soon
as this is received back to UK our tricking will update , I will raise this with our ecomm team in regards to the VAT paid

john 16:20
So as yet it had not been sent back? Originally we were told this one was mis scanned to be sent back and ecomm would stop it and get it delivered, but this seems not to be the case.

Chris 16:23
The status appears to be the same for this , they are in the process of being returned"

You couldn't make this up if you tried.

It now appears that the missing package hasn't been scanned at all 🙄

An Post is like Faulty Towers, without the comedy but with Manuel in charge.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your query This item RN764173586GB appears to be in a clearance delay providing all is ok with the customs data this will be released for delivery Unfortunately, I cannot advise on a clearance date. My advice for now would be to keep an eye on our tracking over the coming days, all tracking will be available on our track&trace when this item is cleared and accepted into our network for processing and delivery. I am sorry for the inconveniences caused and I hope this information was helpful! 

• WOW! 2
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, amdaley said:

You couldn't make this up if you tried.

It now appears that the missing package hasn't been scanned at all 🙄

An Post is like Faulty Towers, without the comedy but with Manuel in charge.

Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your query This item RN764173586GB appears to be in a clearance delay providing all is ok with the customs data this will be released for delivery Unfortunately, I cannot advise on a clearance date. My advice for now would be to keep an eye on our tracking over the coming days, all tracking will be available on our track&trace when this item is cleared and accepted into our network for processing and delivery. I am sorry for the inconveniences caused and I hope this information was helpful! 

I don't think there is a lot of difference between the standard of service offered by An Post and other national postal services, they are all struggling to cope with very high levels of parcels traffic international changes in customs clearance processes (not just Brexit) and recruiting/retaining enough people to do the work.

One of my shipments has been lost in the NZ Post system for a week because the Courier forgot to scan the parcels into the system following pickup, a Royal Mail package showed up yesterday with a 1/7/2021 postmark.

The United States Postal Service recently suspended deliveries to 21 countries including Australia and New Zealand due to the effects of the Covid pandemic and other problems.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have an IRM shipment that has been stuck in Miami for 10 days already. Stephen looked into this 👍and its due to a shortage of drivers to take the shipments any further (so apparently not some importation nonsense in this case)

I knew about this shortage but it's hard too believe they're just sitting there along with many others.

More worryingly there is significant concern that the global supply chain is reaching a critical point, a collapse of which would be very disruptive to put it in its best light.

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, Mayner said:

I don't think there is a lot of difference between the standard of service offered by An Post and other national postal services, they are all struggling

It's also worth noting that the US postal service is revising its' service standards. EG delivery standard for a first class letter will be 5 days. A coming trend everywhere?

• Like 1

I am now in the same quandary. Items from Scotland doing several laps of the D12 sorting facility. They say that its not marked correctly and the onus is on the sender who I've been in contact with to classify it correctly. If the seller does this does it need to go back to its country of origin or can an post go on the information they can be given. I'm thinking the former only.........

16 minutes ago, Blaine said:

I am now in the same quandary. Items from Scotland doing several laps of the D12 sorting facility. They say that its not marked correctly and the onus is on the sender who I've been in contact with to classify it correctly. If the seller does this does it need to go back to its country of origin or can an post go on the information they can be given. I'm thinking the former only.........

Apparently if An Post can not read it, in other word their scanners do no work, it will be sent back.  We have just had an email from a supplier that one of our orders has been returned to them.  No communication from An Post what so ever in relation to this. The following is a quote from the web chat I had with one on their service agents.   If its like ours it will be in Dublin 12  for at least two weeks before they decide to send it back.

"This item has been processed to be returned to the sender. The customs declaration which was provided electronically
was insufficient. As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data, the item must be returned as a result. Please
refer to the sender to arrange for the item to be re-issued with the correct customs information (as per the changes
introduced on 1st July) once it arrives back in the country of origin. Please find more info here http://anpost.com/Customs.
I am sorry I cannot offer you a more favourable reply today."

Good Evening,

"As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data"

Seems to me that it is the info from source that is wrong here. Some Clearing systems use the Data transmitted from across the water to Create the entry here, if it is incorrect then your goosed it seems.

Given postal stuff cant be tracked normally if it is not registered I am not surprised that cant tie up with the sender.

A colleague told me a ball of wool was stopped from the UK and RTO. I will buy from Europe these days, bit longer but I got some CDs in the door today no hassle.

Ask them can a broker clear it for you?

George.

Edited by Georgeconna

17 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Good Evening,

"As we cannot amend or rectify any electronic customs data"

Seems to me that it is the info from source that is wrong here. Some Clearing systems use the Data transmitted from across the water to Create the entry here, if it is incorrect then your goosed it seems.

Given postal stuff cant be tracked normally if it is not registered I am not surprised that cant tie up with the sender.

A colleague told me a ball of wool was stopped from the UK and RTO. I will buy from Europe these days, bit longer but I got some CDs in the door today no hassle.

Ask them can a broker clear it for you?

George.

they stop eu stuff too i had stuff sent from the netherlands stopped for vat untill i emailed asking when did the netherlands leave the eu

• Funny 3

I no longer trust An Post.  Latest saga on the packet from my brother - in law.   This is what it now says on the Royal Mail tracking.  I have never refused to accept it as Anpost never made an effort to deliver.

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver this item at 11-10-2021 as the recipient refused to accept it. It will now be returned to the sender."

• Angry 2

54 minutes ago, irishmail said:

I no longer trust An Post.  Latest saga on the packet from my brother - in law.   This is what it now says on the Royal Mail tracking.  I have never refused to accept it as Anpost never made an effort to deliver.

"Sorry, we were unable to deliver this item at 11-10-2021 as the recipient refused to accept it. It will now be returned to the sender."

Sounds like they haven’t bothered training any of their staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

After my previous comments, my two Guards Vans arrived safe and well from New Zealand today.

Not a cent in customs charges nor VAT was I charged!

That's great news, & reasonable transit time! 

I thought a shipment of vans was 'lost in the post" your order and other orders in the shipment are still listed as "Printed" in the NZ Post e-ship system, the Courier apparently forgot to scan the packages into the system following pick up on the 29th Sept.

We have updated the TARIC codes on the customs declaration to the required 10 digit format should minimise the risk orders being returned to sender.

• Informative 1

Things are going from one extreme to the other.

The UK retailer sent out a replacement order for the original package which I was told had failed the Customs scan & has been sitting in Dublin since Sept 17th. I paid the charges on this replacement package on Tuesday.

This morning a package was delivered but it was the original package which was supposed to be sent back to the UK. I didn't pay any charges at all on this package.

It seems An Post are just dealing with the backlog by just delivering the post without checking it at all 🙄 

I can't complain I suppose as it saved me €26 but its still crazy 😄

• Like 2