Customs & VAT

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Has anyone ever used the DHL option with order value over €150.00 and if so how did it go?  According to Hatton's it should be shipped with out any additional fees.  Following is a quote from Hatton's website.

DDP

For orders placed via DHL to countries listed below.

Delivered Duties Paid
Charged on orders over €150 in value.

We have VAT registration in the countries listed below, so VAT, admin fees and duties fees are included when your order is placed and processed using DHL.

Royal Mail & DPD are not applicable, and are covered under the DAP section to the right.

Countries affected:

Belgium

France

Germany

Ireland (Republic of)

Italy

Netherlands (Holland)

Spain (mainland)

United Kingdom

If you are charged by DHL for your order to any of the countries listed above, please get in touch.

• Informative 1

29 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Has anyone ever used the DHL option with order value over €150.00 and if so how did it go?  According to Hatton's it should be shipped with out any additional fees. 

Recently got a package via DHL over the €150 and no issues. Delivered in 3-4 days.

• Informative 2

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

Has anyone ever used the DHL option with order value over €150.00 and if so how did it go?  According to Hatton's it should be shipped with out any additional fees.  Following is a quote from Hatton's website.

This is the one I use all the time and have had no issue

There are two options for shipping by DHL DTP (Delivery Duty and Tax Paid as offered by Hattons where DHLs customs clearance fee and the VAT is charged up front in the price.

The second option is DHL DIP (Delivery in Place) where the customer pays the Customs clearance fee and VAT to DHL upon arrival.

I have used both systems for shipping items >€150 to Ireland and the EU. 

The DIP option actually works out between €5-10 cheaper per order for the customer than the DTP option after paying the DHL fee and Vat upon arrival. Hattons include a margin in their pricing for the additional overheads in using the DHL DTP system and EU Vat registration/IOSS system, which adds to the total price paid by the customer.

Royal Mail-An Post is the cheapest option for orders above €150 as the fee charged by An Post is a lot lower than DHL provided the overseas shipper uses the correct Taric Code.

It would be worth checking with Hattons or other UK suppliers whether they offer a DIP rather than a DTP option shipping by DHL.

Edited by Mayner
  • Informative 1

Has anyone ever ordered something from accuascale.com and had it posted to Ireland? Standard international shipping costs £5.95 so I presume it's with Royal Mail. So maybe there would be similar problems as with royal mail post from Hattons?

I'm interested because the cie intercity 4 coach pack is listed at 217 euro, potentially quite a saving.

There is no saving as far i know as the price you are seeing on accurascale.com is ex VAT and dispatched from the UK.... IRM prices are inc VAT.

Customs will still sting you for that VAT on arrival into Ireland plus the delivery will take a little bit longer. the sites are configured to show different prices based on the users location based on tax payable.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, raymurph said:

Has anyone ever ordered something from accuascale.com and had it posted to Ireland? Standard international shipping costs £5.95 so I presume it's with Royal Mail. So maybe there would be similar problems as with royal mail post from Hattons?

I'm interested because the cie intercity 4 coach pack is listed at 217 euro, potentially quite a saving.

I ordered a class 92 from accuascale.com, they just take off vat and you pay it on delivery , no issues on my side when I ordered from them

you can also buy the item you're looking from https://irishrailwaymodels.com and it will come from the UK, this is part of accuascale just based in Dublin I believe

Edited by Chris Morris
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sean said:

There is no saving as far i know as the price you are seeing on accurascale.com is ex VAT and dispatched from the UK.... IRM prices are inc VAT.

Customs will still sting you for that VAT on arrival into Ireland plus the delivery will take a little bit longer. the sites are configured to show different prices based on the users location based on tax payable.

That explains it.

Got a delivery from Hattons this morning to Dublin via DHL Express. Had a few items in my trunk so the total value of goods was over £200 (the most expensive individual item was €125 ex VAT). Irish VAT was applied by Hattons and there were no additional customs charges etc. 

DHL option is more pricey than Royal Mail but I wanted peace of mind after the issues people have had. I placed the order to ship them on Wednesday evening, so that was a fast turn around too.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a loco from Hattons on 20 March. Dispatched 21 March but has not arrived yet. Royal mail say as it is untracked to allow 25 working days for it to arrive. That will be 28 April. I ordered something from Hattons before Christmas and it was dispatched on 13 December 2022 and it came just after Christmas. Hattons said if it has not arrived by 29 April to get back on to them and they will open a missing package case with Royal Mail for me. Never had any issues with Hattons, their service is first rate. Anyway I will keep the parish updated on how things develope.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, amdaley said:

Is it still £23 with DHL ?

£23 is the lowest price, it’s goes up in small increments as the weight increases..

I got a loco, a coach, some containers and a few diecasts sent over and it was £28 for 3-4kgs.. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, MOGUL said:

£23 is the lowest price, it’s goes up in small increments as the weight increases..

I got a loco, a coach, some containers and a few diecasts sent over and it was £28 for 3-4kgs.. 

Used to be £17 but had increased the last time I looked.

Hattond had lots of stuff returned back to them over documentation problems. Probably AnPost again.

Brexit has really messed things up for modellers in Ireland.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I must have been lucky with Hattons this past 18 months. No Delay's no glitches, no additional duty nor vat to be paid. Their DDP (ie Delivery Duty Paid) seemed to work like clock work. Because of DDP Hattons is the only UK retailer I still use. Everything else has been direct with German online retailers in the Eurozone so no hasssle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/4/2023 at 1:50 PM, spudfan said:

I ordered a loco from Hattons on 20 March. Dispatched 21 March but has not arrived yet. Royal mail say as it is untracked to allow 25 working days for it to arrive. That will be 28 April. I ordered something from Hattons before Christmas and it was dispatched on 13 December 2022 and it came just after Christmas. Hattons said if it has not arrived by 29 April to get back on to them and they will open a missing package case with Royal Mail for me. Never had any issues with Hattons, their service is first rate. Anyway I will keep the parish updated on how things develope.

Well the loco failed to arrive this week so I contacted Hattons yesterday. The paperwork for the missing loco was completed by them. I was offered a refund or to have another loco sent to me. I opted for a replacement loco, to be sent to my daughter in N. Ireland. This was sent today. The service and communications from Hattons has been superb, especially as it was an issue not of their making.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Description on electronic customs declarations is usually automatically generated by the TARIC number entered on the postal service/couriers on-line portal.

Its possible someone in Rails inputted an incorrect TARIC number in preparing the order or  because of the limitations of the portal.

The 'my-DHL" portal does not accept the TARIC code and "Electric Trains' description, so my DHL Express Shipments are described in the declaration as "Tricycles, scooters, pedal cars..............." as the description also included "reduced-size (scale) models', though we havent shipped any tricycles or scooters yet any!

• 5 months later...

Back to this ol chestnut again

A buddy of mine informed me he

"bought a crew for my new Manor last week. Price €9.95 plus €5.95 P & P."

Notice from dpd yesterday. VAT €3.67 Brokerage €5.00. Vat on brokerage €1.15. Total €25.72. 

The end price is pretty ridiculous for 2 figures. I know AS have their reasons for not having these on the EU site but a cost like that is crazy.

AFAIK there should be no VAT on Brokerage Services either so are DPD chancing their arm here.

image.thumb.png.9b7eef6d73a2c67b0d1ec5327c488869.png
  • WOW! 1
  • Angry 1

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

AFAIK there should be no VAT on Brokerage Services either so are DPD chancing their arm here.

Have you contacted DPD for an explanation of the €1.15 VAT on their custom's brokerage service? 

Coincidently I had a parcel from Hattons delivered by DPD last week. I was charged the same €1.15 VAT by DPD for DPD's own customs brokerage service - I've just raised a query on the VAT for the customs brokerage service this morning, so we'll see.

It's not much, but every little helps as Tesco says 😀

Edited by Flying Snail
Edited to clarify that I'm referring to VAT charged by DPD for its customs brokerage service, and not VAT charged by Hatton's (or DPD) for the contents of the parcel.
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Hey George

The €9.95 is vat exclusive and we do provide free EU post when you spend over €100 so you should have saved the €5.95 and then just effectively paid the vat on entry (making it all the same as if you were in the UK). Unfortunately we just can’t subsidize the postage on smaller spends and even €5.95 is well below cost. 

2 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Have you contacted DPD for an explanation of the €1.15 VAT on their custom's brokerage service? 

Coincidently I had a parcel from Hattons delivered by DPD last week. I was charged the same €1.15 VAT on their custom's brokerage service - I've just raised a query on the VAT for the customs brokerage service this morning, so we'll see.

It's not much, but every little helps as Tesco says 😀

You should not pay any VAT or customs from Hatton's s they are registered for Irish VAT, have you contacted then and asked if they will will refund you?  They have always been helpful when I used to have items sent via Anpost who kept wanting to charge Customs duty when they felt like it!

I now use their trunk service and when sufficient items ship via DHL, more expensive shipping but so far no hassle or bother with customs or VAT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Hey George

The €9.95 is vat exclusive and we do provide free EU post when you spend over €100 so you should have saved the €5.95 and then just effectively paid the vat on entry (making it all the same as if you were in the UK). Unfortunately we just can’t subsidize the postage on smaller spends and even €5.95 is well below cost. 

Thanks Boskany thats perfectly understood. Its the non benefit of Brexit that is pushing unrealistic cost on modellers. 

Not an AS issue, DPD charging VAT on the Brokerage fee. AFAIK should not be doing so. Going through the motions with DPD now.

If any one fancys a Manor best get them here to avoid customs messing.

Steam Locomotive Manor Class GWR 7808 Cookham Manor | OO gauge (modellbahnunion.com)

2 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Thats a separate issue @irishmail - I'm talking about the VAT DPD charge for DPD's own Customs Brokerage Service (and I believe @Georgeconna is too).

EDIT: I've edited my previous post just now to make this a little clearer. Apologies for any confusion

No Me tis a Buddy of mine, Not way I'd pay that sort of money for 2 Figures!! Grand price on their own but all the custom malarkey pushed it beyond sensible.

Again no fault of AS. As Stephen says order the Figs with the locos and get them with Free postage.