JM Design July 2021 Update

Rate this topic

Mayner

39 minutes ago, DiveController said:

I guess I got a bit confused here also and wasn't expecting a sell out when i returned to the thread today.

As long as there are more coming there's no problem in that. It's interesting how the grey 1950s are first to be sold out. It seems like the level of consumer interest in anything in 1950s- grey or BnT (A class) seem to be underestimated.

As for boxes, with green and orange in use by other manufacturers, maybe Black with one yellow face and possibly a red buffer beam?  

Interesting comment. Thinking about it, that 50s-60s crossover era is arguably the most interesting decade and a bit on Irish Railways. Almost everything was still running in 1950, from Antrim 3’ gauge to the Dingle specials, from 800s to classic 4-4-0s, whilst by 1963 the GM-run railway that all of us remember was taking shape. Great to see trade support for it.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, DiveController said:

It's interesting how the grey 1950s are first to be sold out. It seems like the level of consumer interest in anything in 1950s- grey or BnT (A class) seem to be underestimated.

Very much so.

If we look across the pond to Brexitstan, we see 1930-70 models having held sway from that time to the present. Flying Scotsmen, GWR 4.6.0s and any amount of tank engines all over the model shops. You don't think wooden four-wheeled trucks were still in traffic.

BR Mk 1 and (early) Mk 2s still rolling off the production line.

This is nostalgia-driven.

However, people don't fully KNOW the nostalgia here. Apart from the almost total dearth of railways north of the Sligo line and all over the west, there was never the level of interest here "per head" as in Britain.

i firmly believe this is changing. There is growing awareness even on this board of things historical, and the many books with good pictures of the "grey'n'green" era ave helped. When I pored over the black and white pics in Colin Boocock's book in the 1970s, it was the only "picture book" of Irish railways available.

More commercial models will, absolutely without doubt, generate more interest in this fascinating period. Half a dozen particular prototypes replicated as models would, I remain convinced, act as a huge catalyst.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Interesting comment. Thinking about it, that 50s-60s crossover era is arguably the most interesting decade and a bit on Irish Railways. Almost everything was still running in 1950, from Antrim 3’ gauge to the Dingle specials, from 800s to classic 4-4-0s, whilst by 1963 the GM-run railway that all of us remember was taking shape. Great to see trade support for it.

Agreee fully on the 50s-60s being the thr most diverse and *imo* the most interesting

The amount of lines open, different steam and diesel locomotives, how colourful it was and how much important irish railway landmarks were happening at the time. 

Of course, I'm bias cause my local line closed in that era but still. This was a time when you could travel from baltimore to letterkenny, from valtentia harbour to strabane, from tramore to kilkee ect. 

When GM locos clashed buffers with J15s, A and C classes clashed buffers with 800s and so on

132_19610608_001_CC_JA.jpg.7dd145af5d507d7573d048efeafb5801.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Holy moly that was quick. I will have to be faster on the second batch. Congratulations!

John I presume the open wagons are intentionally unnumbered so they can be renumbered using transfers. Why have you decided to number the brake vans? Will you be doing similar to IRM and with each rerun/batch issue a new number or will the number remain the same?

If you plan to release renumbered versions every so often I would just order one each time but if you don't plan on doing this I'd order a few in the next batch.

The first production batch of brake vans is substantially smaller than originally planned as a result of issues at the 3D printing stage which did not show up at the prototyping and test print stage. A small batch of 1950s vans is currently with our tampo printers waiting a slot in his production schedule.

I am expecting to release the 1960/70s versions of the vans which are currently in the paint shop during September with transfer lettering as it would have been uneconomic to reproduce the ducket warning stripes using tampo printing.

Pre-orders provides a reasonably accurate estimate of demand which will allow batch quantities to be increased/decreased as necessary.

23543 was lettered using tampo printing, alternative numbers would require a new printing tool and separate set up prohibitively expensive on small batch quantities.

We are planning to finish the Ranks grain wagon with transfer lettering with running numbers (1-8) which may be applied by the customer (running numbers).

We are not expecting to release the open wagons until the 1st quarter of 2022 and will certainly consider releasing these and other 'ordinary' goods wagons in fully decorated form with alternate running numbers or unlettered with a sheet of transfer lettering.

Our 3D printing bureau is currently completing a number of test prints of the grain wagon to establish a representative sample of prints to identify potential production and quality assurance issues before we produce the production batch, we have also bought a high resolution desktop printer for prototyping and small batch production with a larger production machine expected late 2021 early 2022 which will give us greater control and predictability of our production schedules.

I would forget speculating on our wagons we can always produce a  batch of a particular wagon with minimal tooling and set up cost if there is evidence of sufficient demand.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

On 14/7/2021 at 4:26 AM, DJ Dangerous said:

I have a limited edition JM Designsbrake van for sale, €1,000, p&p not included.

If you want to sell this you're going to have to change you member signature😄

"A fool and his money are soon..."

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

Edited by DiveController
  • Funny 1

My Brake Van according to the Tracking has now reached Qatar so hopefully depending on the customs at Heathrow it should be arriving here soon. At least it will be acclimatised to the weather, it was 32 Centigrade in the loft yesterday slightly more than the 30 degrees in Qatar er  oh that was in the middle of the night though.

• Like 2

On 23/7/2021 at 7:59 AM, Irishswissernie said:

My Brake Van according to the Tracking has now reached Qatar so hopefully depending on the customs at Heathrow it should be arriving here soon. At least it will be acclimatised to the weather, it was 32 Centigrade in the loft yesterday slightly more than the 30 degrees in Qatar er  oh that was in the middle of the night though.

32C? Lucky you! Temp in my attic the last week was around 45C!!

• Like 2

Can someone please check their tracking and give me the number of days from collection in Hamilton to delivery or first attempted delivery in Europe. I'm slightly concerned I won't be back from our holiday to take delivery and that the parcel will be returned to NZ. My post office keeps stuff for 1 week before returning to sender. I may need to take steps to get a neighbour to go round there and plead my case.  

18 hours ago, murphaph said:

Can someone please check their tracking and give me the number of days from collection in Hamilton to delivery or first attempted delivery in Europe. I'm slightly concerned I won't be back from our holiday to take delivery and that the parcel will be returned to NZ. My post office keeps stuff for 1 week before returning to sender. I may need to take steps to get a neighbour to go round there and plead my case.  

Mine was shipped on July 12th and is now in transit to my local depot, so just over two weeks, which is what Mayner estimated 👍

• Informative 1