JM Design July 2021 Update

Rate this topic

Mayner

Our online store is now live!!!!!!!!!!  https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes since the first batch of brake vans arrived from our suppliers in April, the main upshot is that the business is developing its own 3D printing capability while working with our supplier to improve consistency and quality of the models. This will lead to some delay in releasing models to market but should result in a better product.

We have finalised the graphics for the next batch of brake vans and the bulk grain wagon with Railtec Transfers producing the transfers, we will probably use pad printing for the open wagon and more generic wagons in the pipeline.

We are likely to start shipping the 52 Class loco kits in late July with the final detail parts and bearings arriving this afternoon, with shipping of 4w vans expected August/September.

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Our online store is now live!!!!!!!!!!  https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/

There has been a lot going on behind the scenes since the first batch of brake vans arrived from our suppliers in April, the main upshot is that the business is developing its own 3D printing capability while working with our supplier to improve consistency and quality of the models. This will lead to some delay in releasing models to market but should result in a better product.

We have finalised the graphics for the next batch of brake vans and the bulk grain wagon with Railtec Transfers producing the transfers, we will probably use pad printing for the open wagon and more generic wagons in the pipeline.

We are likely to start shipping the 52 Class loco kits in late July with the final detail parts and bearings arriving this afternoon, with shipping of 4w vans expected August/September.

Now thats the job

Hopefully this website will host many more irish models to come

Are the brakevans out?

• Like 1

Great stuff John. Nice clean webshop there. I'd also be in the market for a couple of the flying snail brake vans and some of the other wagons which are available to preorder.

A question which I'll ask here rather than by PM as I reckon I won't be the only one wondering this...

Can the more patient among us order several different items and wait until everything is available before shipping as a single package to save on shipping costs?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Great stuff John. Nice clean webshop there. I'd also be in the market for a couple of the flying snail brake vans and some of the other wagons which are available to preorder.

A question which I'll ask here rather than by PM as I reckon I won't be the only one wondering this...

Can the more patient among us order several different items and wait until everything is available before shipping as a single package to save on shipping costs?

I'm in the same boat, and hoping it will be possible to consolidate an order.  I also have a couple of questions.  Is it possible to obtain appropriate lettering and logos for the bulk grain wagon and the open wagon? Also with regard to the bulk grain wagon the picture shown on the website displays this in a bauxite livery which is probably as they were at the end of their lives, However, for the greater part of their lives they were probably painted grey and it seems some of them were painted a bright red late '40s to early '60s, will these liveries be offered?  

Excellent stuff thank you

• Like 2

1. Currency: We have set up the option to display prices in Euro, Stirling, US, Canadian & Australian $ which should cover most customers under the Shopify Pay system, customers will be invoiced in NZ$, otherwise the banking and admin side of things becomes extremely expensive.

2. Duty & VAT: We originally planned to set up a DDTP system as an option for customers in the UK & Ireland and but have been unable to find a shipper who currently provides this service at a reasonable rate (for small shipments) to the European Union. Our shipper offers a relatively reasonably priced DDTP service to the UK and expect to have a DDTP option in place once we complete the UK VAT & EORI registration process, funnily enough we are already registered with the Irish Revenue but thats another story. 

3. Consolidated orders:  There should be no problem in consolidating orders or holding items until an order is complete.

4. Liveries and colour schemes: We are holding back on marketing certain models until the decorated samples are complete. 

I have prepared 5 different graphic schemes for the bulk grain wagon without considering the GSR period & 70s brown.

The unlettered wagons will be in light grey just didn't have a suitable photo.

• Like 5
  • Informative 3

Hi John,

Great to see this and well done. Hopefully this goes very well and expands with time. 

Question regarding preordering and small production batch of say 10 items required for the preorders of that particular wagon to be fulfilled.

Will it be possible to see the number of preorders presently existing on a given item so that one might anticipate when the production might run to go ahead?

e.g. 8 existing preorders ... if I go ahead and order 2 more wagons it would trigger a production run of that item etc

Site looks well. Best of luck with this!

K

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiveController said:

Hi John,

Great to see this and well done. Hopefully this goes very well and expands with time. 

Question regarding preordering and small production batch of say 10 items required for the preorders of that particular wagon to be fulfilled.

Will it be possible to see the number of preorders presently existing on a given item so that one might anticipate when the production might run to go ahead?

e.g. 8 existing preorders ... if I go ahead and order 2 more wagons it would trigger a production run of that item etc

Site looks well. Best of luck with this!

K

Kevin

You threw up a bit of a curved ball there with batch and pre-order quantities of rtr wagons w 😉

Because of the low level of demand minimum expressions of interest/order quantities applied to the production of etched loco and rolling stock kits.

We are committed to manufacturing the 3D printed wagons on our website (in much larger batches than 10!), the number of pre-orders will obviously influence the number of wagons produced and the number of models may be increased in response to demand.

One of the benefits of 3D printing over traditional manufacture is that its fairly simple to produce a repeat of a model or produce custom models or one-off prints, the main constraint is the time consuming nature of clean up process and removal of the support structure.

The anticipated release dates on the website are indicative only and are based on the current state of knowledge and will provide regular progress updates beginning with the decorated samples of Grain Wagons and Brake Vans with wheel logo expected mid-late August.

We are establishing in house 3D printing capability while our current supplier is working to improve print quality with test prints of the Grain Wagon in different resins for approval mid July.

We are planning to install in a high resolution desktop printer for prototyping and small batch production later this month with a production machine due late 2021/early 2022.

While there are likely to be teething problems developing in-house printing capability capability should result in greater level of control over production and quality of the finished models.

The ability to print in house with an external supplier as a back up for large orders will allow for more reliable production planning and manufacturing time frames.

Not bad considering I only had an "idea" of 3D printing models in May 2020. 

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, Mayner said:

Kevin

You threw up a bit of a curved ball there with batch and pre-order quantities of rtr wagons w 😉

Because of the low level of demand minimum expressions of interest/order quantities applied to the production of etched loco and rolling stock kits.

We are committed to manufacturing the 3D printed wagons on our website (in much larger batches than 10!), the number of pre-orders will obviously influence the number of wagons produced and the number of models may be increased in response to demand.

One of the benefits of 3D printing over traditional manufacture is that its fairly simple to produce a repeat of a model or produce custom models or one-off prints, the main constraint is the time consuming nature of clean up process and removal of the support structure.

The anticipated release dates on the website are indicative only and are based on the current state of knowledge and will provide regular progress updates beginning with the decorated samples of Grain Wagons and Brake Vans with wheel logo expected mid-late August.

We are establishing in house 3D printing capability while our current supplier is working to improve print quality with test prints of the Grain Wagon in different resins for approval mid July.

We are planning to install in a high resolution desktop printer for prototyping and small batch production later this month with a production machine due late 2021/early 2022.

While there are likely to be teething problems developing in-house printing capability capability should result in greater level of control over production and quality of the finished models.

The ability to print in house with an external supplier as a back up for large orders will allow for more reliable production planning and manufacturing time frames.

Not bad considering I only had an "idea" of 3D printing models in May 2020. 

Any chance with experimenting with 3d printed conversion kits (a shell over an existing rtr chassis) 

Or 3d printing 6 wheel coaches ect.

I remember myself and another fellow moddeller were considering models that can be made from rtr chassis from hornby, bachmann ect. And 3d print a shell for them. One of these exists for GSWR no.90 and were still fiddling with a bandon tank with a b12 chassis. Merlin from a GNR compound or T9, a CBSCR short boogy coach......ect. im sure many can suggest other locos that could be made from current chassis. 

20210409_225715.thumb.jpg.3a8040a0864aebac98a411db3f197ad9.jpg

29 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Got a text message today to say that my CIE brake van has been dispatched - wonder how long it will take to get to Ireland from NZ and I hope it survives the journey 😳

Generally 2-3 weeks at the moment, recently an Airmail package from Markits arrived within 7 days and one from Wizard Models took 4 weeks.

Van is packed in a presentation box within a stout cardboard shipping box with foam or bubble wrap packing.

Packaging was a challenge as the traditional model railway style box with lid were unavailable and a vacuum formed insert prohibitively expensive, we used a medium density foam rubber to secure and protect the model.

IMG_1615.jpg.b2de234f29acf0993fd26229adf14753.jpgso should be ok.

IMG_1614.jpg.34cdd35bae5e1983e8546df369df0678.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg.843002f764ce274fb0a280bde5d99dcb.jpg

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

23 hours ago, Mayner said:

Generally 2-3 weeks at the moment, recently an Airmail package from Markits arrived within 7 days and one from Wizard Models took 4 weeks.

Van is packed in a presentation box within a stout cardboard shipping box with foam or bubble wrap packing.

Packaging was a challenge as the traditional model railway style box with lid were unavailable and a vacuum formed insert prohibitively expensive, we used a medium density foam rubber to secure and protect the model.

IMG_1615.jpg.b2de234f29acf0993fd26229adf14753.jpgso should be ok.

I knew I'd seen that box style before, could you not have chosen a different colour........

Box.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1

Would could would you like Blaine, Maybe JM can do a Blaine limited issue box for you in a different shade.

2 hours ago, Blaine said:

I knew I'd seen that box style before, could you not have chosen a different colour........

Box.jpg

All Johns hard work to do this and there is a Crib about the colour of the box. 

• Funny 4

7 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Would could would you like Blaine, Maybe JM can do a Blaine limited issue box for you in a different shade.

Well dont forget, there are a lot of newcomers to the model railway hobby, who may get confused that 2 products are in the same colour box, ever notice all the mainstream manufacturers use different colour boxes? 

Or is that too advanced for you

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Georgeconna said:

I'm sure he's joking, sure what other colour could you choose?

Green, black, white or Bunreacht blue are the only options, really, and green is the most attractive by far.

No publicity is bad publicity...

Just ordered a few and had them shipped to somebody up in Ireland for re-shipping to me!

17 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Im still confused as weather these models are released or not! 

The models can be ordered/pre-ordered on our on-line shop https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/.

The first batch of Brake Vans in the 1950s grey are now sold out, the second batch (50s Grey)are currently with our tampo printers & we will start accepting orders once they are complete and assembled.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • WOW! 3

Holy moly that was quick. I will have to be faster on the second batch. Congratulations!

John I presume the open wagons are intentionally unnumbered so they can be renumbered using transfers. Why have you decided to number the brake vans? Will you be doing similar to IRM and with each rerun/batch issue a new number or will the number remain the same?

If you plan to release renumbered versions every so often I would just order one each time but if you don't plan on doing this I'd order a few in the next batch.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:16 AM, Mayner said:

I guess I got a bit confused here also and wasn't expecting a sell out when i returned to the thread today.

As long as there are more coming there's no problem in that. It's interesting how the grey 1950s are first to be sold out. It seems like the level of consumer interest in anything in 1950s- grey or BnT (A class) seem to be underestimated.

As for boxes, with green and orange in use by other manufacturers, maybe Black with one yellow face and possibly a red buffer beam?  

Edited by DiveController

5 hours ago, Mayner said:

The models can be ordered/pre-ordered on our on-line shop https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/.

The first batch of Brake Vans in the 1950s grey are now sold out, the second batch (50s Grey)are currently with our tampo printers & we will start accepting orders once they are complete and assembled.

.............oh dear

I guess ill be waiting another few months

24 minutes ago, DiveController said:

It seems like the level of consumer interest in anything in 1950s- grey or BnT (A class) seem to be underestimated.

Consider8ng there has been only 2 early CIE locos released in the past rtr by lima and bachmann. Im suprised at the upturn the era is getting. The grey 121s and the A's are the only "up to date" rtr models that can be used with the van

Of course if you can settle for silverfox stuff like myself, there is a bit more