Back on Board

Rate this topic

GNRi1959

18 hours ago, GNRi1959 said:

Have I missed much!

A very comprehensive range of RTR GNRI stock, produced by IRM. Now long sold out and commanding very high prices. They were produced due to One person said they were leaving the hobby due to a lack of RTR GNRI stock and they obliged that person

Edited by Blaine
  • Funny 2

31 minutes ago, GNRi1959 said:

Are there are any ready to run Irish rolling stock  on the market yet?

In terms of RTR, not a big lot that wasn't there when you were here before, though IRM have several modern-image wagons since. Naturally, we're all keenly awaiting the A class locos this week!

Provincial wagons brought out a CIE cattle truck and "H" van as kits in comparatively recent times, and Murphy Models had the 121 class diesels. Can't think of others....

• Informative 1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:39 AM, Blaine said:

A very comprehensive range of RTR GNRI stock, produced by IRM. Now long sold out and commanding very high prices. They were produced due to One person said they were leaving the hobby due to a lack of RTR GNRI stock and they obliged that person

OK, THAT's IT! I'VE HAD ENOUGH!! I'M LEAVING THIS SITE IF WE DON'T GET SOME CIE BUILT STOCK TO GO WITH THE EARLY A CLASS

(God knows how many likes this is going to get, what HAVE I done!.... 😟)

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice plan. I’m leaving the wiring to the experts, but that right hand crossover would probably look better a bit further right - allow a decent 4-4-0s worth of headshunt as a loco release. Otherwise you will have to leave the passenger stock out in the bondu every time you run round, creating a shunting move that would be both unlikely on the prototype and inconvenient to you!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Nice plan. I’m leaving the wiring to the experts, but that right hand crossover would probably look better a bit further right - allow a decent 4-4-0s worth of headshunt as a loco release. Otherwise you will have to leave the passenger stock out in the bondu every time you run round, creating a shunting move that would be both unlikely on the prototype and inconvenient to you!!

Station looks familiar and the tracklayout is prototypical!  It will be interesting to see if Tony models a working Horse Tram. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

It’s up to you really. At shows it’s often hidden to aid ‘the willing suspension of disbelief’. The idea being that you’re effectively putting on a stage show so the backstage area is off limits to the punters!

Some modellers have now, however, incorporated the FY into the layout proper for a mix of aesthetic/artistic/practical reasons. Giles Favell, a stellar modeller who works in theatre in real life, has his FYs on full show, simply painted black so the audience can immediately tell what’s stage and what’s offstage….looking at your set up there I think you’ll need to be able to access it from the front so personally I wouldn’t put a cover on it……

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

I, and possibly a good few others. like to see the fiddle yard for many reasons, not least of which is the opportunity to see all (or most) of the stock that is available, if not actually in use on the scenic section at the time.

Also, the various arrangements that people use for interchanging stock can also be a great interest, some can be quite ingenious, keeping the size down, but not suitable for the 'real' part of the layout.

In an exhibition setting, a passing viewer may get a better sense of the whole possibilities of the layout than he might by a watching few minutes operation via the scenic section. having seen other stock in the yard, he may make a point of passing by later, in order to catch it in use.

However, it is your layout.

• Like 3

At exhibitions, what Galteemore and Broithe very much applies. Many layouts are operated from the rear at shows and some blank off the fiddle yard to use as information and display boards. A shame, I think as I not only want to see what trains will be used, but also how they are being managed.

Giles Flavell's set designs really do work, because of clever lighting and so on - you really don't notice the fact everything is in the open.

The more conventional approach is to frame the scenic area, like a picture. This means adding side frames and a pelmet across the top. The side frames only need to be about 10cm wide, but can be very effective at hiding where track exits the scenic section, if planned carefully. Iain Rice the master at this of course and his book 'Cameo Layouts' explores the presentation side of things in great detail.

A pelmet doesn't just hide the top of the sky, it can help with lighting. Another Rice idea, my pelmets sit about 2cm out from the front edge of the layout and have an LED strip which means the front edge is well lit. If you only have light coming from the back of middle, this part of the scene can be in shadow.

The moral of the story is the more thought given to the start of the project, the better chance it has of succeeding in the long run. It is also probably why I keep building new layouts, in the hope of eliminating mistakes made in the previous ones!

• Like 4

A concealed fiddle yard works well where a layout is operated from behind such as at exhibitions, but can be a nuisance if a layout is operated from the front.

The fiddle yard on my Irish narrow gauge layout is partially concealed and all the shunting/fiddling has to take place on the scenic part of the layout.

IMG_2229.jpg.f60215401adbbfdd56d17b726894ff3d.jpg

IMG_2230.thumb.jpg.6183ca07e19a5a1839e6ca71251a024c.jpg

• Like 3

Use a view block like a building at front of the layout - that will help disguise the transition. Here’s an old N gauge layout I built. You can see how the factory essentially distracts from the line exiting stage leftimage.jpeg.0a6cc5552d25e09d6674866acd1b6a9d.jpeg

The same principle was used on my 7mm layout - seen here under construction. The white building essentially disguises the brake van about to leave ….even a siding with a wagon strategically parked can work.

image.thumb.jpeg.39cf24c094ee21eb98410aaf4387b419.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GNRi1959 said:

Great idea, I think there is a goods store I can use, what do your actual opening look like them, if you don’t mind 

Here you go. Note how the holes are only as big as they need to be, and how the skyline is higher than the holes. This is an old Richard Chown dodge / a ‘hole’ in landscape strikes the eyes as less odd than a hole in the sky! The layout is built to be viewed side on so this area is designed to be within peripheral vision and not viewed full on like this! 

image.thumb.jpeg.e23882de0ec15b2e34f41ffe074a21b8.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3