Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

2 hours ago, Irishrailwayman said:

I like the C with the yellow panel - is that a Silver Fox model?

Looks like it - I have one like that, and I'm noticing - also a Morris Minor like that!

Must fix the loco fuel tank which has come apart.....

I've a green one too, but it needs livery alterations as the "snail" on it is white!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, patrick said:

That is a Silver Fox C class. Let's hope IRM  will do one, but first hopefully a Birmingham Sulzer!

I would love to have a Sulzer! For a producer, seven options would be there - silver, green, black, black'n'tan with full height tan, and with low band, and a few ended up in "Supertrain" livery, though most assuredly never pulled any "supertrain" - nor, probably any passenger train in that livery, apart from the IRRS special in 1978. Also, of course, with and without tablet snatchers.

• Like 1

"I would love to have a Sulzer! For a producer, seven options would be there - silver, green, black, black'n'tan with full height tan, and with low band, and a few ended up in "Supertrain" livery, though most assuredly never pulled any "supertrain" - nor, probably any passenger train in that livery, apart from the IRRS special in 1978. Also, of course, with and without tablet snatchers. "

106 remained in servile until 1976 in Supertrain colors often working ballast trains.  I wasn't aware that any were fitted with tablet catchers, presumably for the Rosslare express. 

Edited by patrick

Here you go John. Prestwin underframe, styrene body Dart Castings buffers. Dimensions guesstimated from the few photos and videos I could find online. Three more are in the works which will make a nice block of wagons for the pick up goods to drop off for Glen More co op.

20200929_091415.jpg

20200929_091202.jpg

20200929_091344.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, patrick said:

Here you go John. Prestwin underframe, styrene body Dart Castings buffers. Dimensions guesstimated from the few photos and videos I could find online. Three more are in the works which will make a nice block of wagons for the pick up goods to drop off for Glen More co op.

20200929_091415.jpg

20200929_091202.jpg

20200929_091344.jpg

They have a very homemade look to the sides which is exactly how the real wagons looked following repairs to them . they look spot on too me size wise 

184 Cork City

• Like 4

Having finally got most of the messy scenery work on the layout out of the way it was finally time to clean up. Tools and materials which were left on the layout were put away, the floor swept and washed and the layout set up for an October 1974 operating session, the first in a while. The photos show the first train run, the Waterford Cork goods. The train dropped off three wagons and picked up two. The train then continued to Grange where it met the Cork Glen More beet special which will be the covered in the next post.

20201001_211151.jpg

20201001_212529.jpg

20201001_212222.jpg

20201001_213705.jpg

20201001_213228.jpg

20201001_213913.jpg

20201001_214219.jpg

• Like 8

That must have taken a while to shunt, hope the crew had time for a drink  !  great pics, station looks pretty well complete I think you were looking at a good store for the siding where the car flat sits, did that plan proceed?

I do think that the loading dock surface has captured that elusive natural rolled stone look

As always thanks for sharing this little part of Ireland!

Robert  

Could the shunt at Glen More be recorded on video? I think this is the best way of showing the intricacies of shunting, what railwaymen did to make their life as simple as possible and also the length of time it took. Nowhere as long as the real thing but but more than just a few minutes if you build in the time for coupling/uncoupling, etc.

Stephen

I have spent from before 10 this morning until 8 this evening writing lengthy captions for a selection of photos like this!

Here’s how realistic this layout is; I open this post, see the first picture and without thinking, my mind starts saying:

”OK, what date, what loco, where’s he going, anything interesting among the wagons, what time did he leave Waterford, anything unusual?”

......then onto the keyboard and me eyes are cross-eyed as I type:

”On 3rd December 1986, Locomotive no. 142 approaches Glenmore with empty beet wagons for Wellington Bridge. Later that day this loco was seen passing in the other direction, paired with 188 and with a maximum load of 43 laden wagons for Mallow.....”

I’m even still scanning the train of vans to see if there’s one worth commenting on specifically.....

Yes, lockdown has me scribbling again. Keeps me off the streets.

”Rails Through Glenmore”!!!!

• Like 4

Once the Waterford passenger train left Glen More the beet train completed its shunting and began its return journey shunting Kielys cross on the way. There is no work at Grange so the train rolls straight into the Cork fiddle yard ending the operating session.

20201004_122924.jpg

20201004_123005.jpg

20201004_123221.jpg

20201004_123758.jpg

20201004_124343.jpg

20201004_124503.jpg

20201004_124801.jpg

20201004_125107.jpg

20201004_125327.jpg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 3

The views along the line are just magical. As 142 comes out of the tunnel and goes along past the telegraph pole, the scenery is especially realistic - the sort of hillside covered in ferns that you see all over the place. How did you do the ferns type of stuff on the slope?

(I can feel the midges coming after me already.............!)

• Like 3

On 4/10/2020 at 2:45 PM, jhb171achill said:

How did you do the ferns type of stuff on the slope?

The ground cover is Woodland Scenics light green coarse turf scattered over wet tan paint. Further applications roof turf is added as needed to cover bare spots or build up texture. The bushes are Woodland scenics light green Clump Foliage. While it is often recommended to mix different color scatter materials I found it did not work for me at least on this layout. 

While running a few trains this morning I caught the Cork passenger behind 141 at Grange.

20201006_115655.jpg

20201006_115835.jpg

• Like 6