Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

20200602_150359.jpg

20200602_150317.jpg

20200602_145959.jpg

20200602_145907.jpgFinally Glen More is coming together. A major reason to rebuild the station was to provide more shunting possibilities. There are now seven spots to spot wagons. The track behind the passenger platform has an end loading dock, cattle pens and a spot for a yet to be built goods shed. The siding on the North West side has a hard standing, a gantry crane used to load containers of produce from the local co op and a tar bitumen depot. The siding on The South side has a bank for beet loading. John Mayner asked in a previous post which I did not get around to reply to (sorry John) if a card forwarding system was used during operation. Not at present, I write up a switch list  telling the train operator which wagons to drop off and pick up at each station. Wagons are blocked in the fiddle yards to facilitate shunting. There is plenty of interesting operation running a pick up goods without resorting to shunting puzzles which I find get tedious quickly. Beet specials drop off an empty for every load picked up.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 6

50 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

Are those sunflower or sesame seeds that you are using in the beet wagons?

The are sesame seeds. They are flat rather than round but look well at normal viewing distances. I must try mixing in some earth colored chalk powder to provide some weathering.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Edo said:

Patrick - you have the timber beet loading platform just perfect.

Amazing what can be achieved with a fistful of coffee stirrers and a tube of glue! It was painted/weathered with Woodland Scenics rail tie the marker.

Inspired by the Scalescenes downloads I found a picture of a factory online,  printed up two copies spliced them togeather to extend the length and glued them to a piece of foam board. I will add some roof and sides to give it depth. It may get replaced some day with a more detailed structure. Meanwhile well worth the effort for an hours work!

20200604_184507.jpg

20200604_184544.jpg

• Like 6

The cattle pens were painted using a Woodland Scenics rail tie brown weathering pen and dry brushed with white poster paint. The cattle are rubber figures I found at the checkout of a local Hobby shop. I dont know if their livery is correct for the geographic location or era.

20200605_180034.jpg

• Like 7

Patrick, as always it's a treat to see your railway.

Watching a few of the videos what struck me was your excellent lighting - you probably told us how somewhere earlier, but maybe you share the info again?

Thanks to the lighting, the triangulated chassis on the Bullied opens shows up to advantage.

You're one of the few people to have my little Ballast flat and using it as they did - AS A CAR CARRIER.

Keep well and prosper

Leslie

The lighting is done with fluorescent light bulbs in cheap holders about 2 foot apart. The layout is located in an area of our condo the previous owner converted from a storage room to what was described as a media room with a multitude of electrical outlets. The bulb holders were wired in parallel using cheap extension chords which provided the wire and plug when I discovered this method was cheaper than buying wire and a plug separately. There are three such circuits covering the layout, each with it's own  on/off switch so the entire layout doesn't have to be illuminated when I'm working on it. This assembly is fixed to the pelmet framing and plugged in to one of the many electrical outlets.

20200612_163436.jpg

20200612_171139.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:11 PM, leslie10646 said:

You're one of the few people to have my little Ballast flat and using it as they did - AS A CAR CARRIER.

Leslie

I remember them used along with open wagons in the late sixties and early seventies on timber traffic from Fenit pier to McCowns siding in Tralee. Due to weight restrictions on the causeway a Deutz was used to transfer wagons from the pier to the Fenit station. The ships were unloaded by the rail mounted steam cranes on the pier directly onto the wagons. The trains were handled by a mainline locomotive between Tralee and Fenit. My father worked for the Department of Agriculture visiting farms in North Kerry from the 60's to the 80's and during the summer months he would often drop the family off for a day at the beach at Fenit  where I got to see the rail activity first hand. His job also required him to spend time at  Mc Cowns who were a large agricultural supplier in Tralee and on many occasions when I accompanied him to work during the school holidays I got to see the shunting  and unloading of the timber trains there.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Patrick

Thanks for the background - we were tempted to take 186 down the pier in 1972, but the crew had more sense!

I wonder did your Dad know the Gleasure family at Tullig / Kilflynn - two of my cousins married into the family.

I was on that trip from Tralee to Fenit and back, all of 12 years old! My father did know Gleasure's in Tralee but then again between his job and the Tralee Development Association he seemed to know half the county.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The layout lay.practically dormant the last few months due to health issues which had me literally off my feet, a complication from an injury to my foot which occurred years ago. Work has resumed this week and ballasting has begun on the rebuilt section of Glen More. Having made some progress I couldn't resist taking a few photos. Here we see a Waterford bound passenger  train crossing a pick up goods train which is shunting the yard.

20200828_100653.jpg

20200828_100630.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 9
  • WOW! 1

3 hours ago, flange lubricator said:

Glad to hear your getting back to full health , we are all looking forward to seeing Murphy models grey and Black and Tan 121 class  locos visiting Glen More in the coming months . 

Fortunatly my health issues are a very minor inconvenience compared to some including members of this forum. Nevertheless I very much appreciate the the support expressed here.                                                                                                   

Both black and tan and super train 121's and A's are ordered and fortunately paid for since my disposal income has dried up due to being unable to work.   Since the arrival of the IRM ferts the era depicted on the layout is now October 1974 but I was hoping to acquire appropriate stock for an early to mid sixties eating session with grey goods stock, some green coaches and black and green diesels. 

Edited by patrick
  • Like 4

Looking at the previously posted photos I became more and more dissatisfied with the low relief factory building behind the signal cabin at Glen More. It was intended to be a stand in until something better came along but it seemed to overpower the scene. The building was made from a downloadable image mounted on foam board in order to give it some dept. A little experimentation showed that mounting the picture directly to the backdrop and adding some detail to the foreground would look far better.

The displaced building did not go to waste. It joined a few surplus buildings which have been placed at the entrance to Cork fiddle yard just for fun and provide some intrest before transitioning to the scenic part of the layout. The structure looks like it could be a loco shed which is appropriate since the track in front of it which in not connected to the layout serves as a dead line for locos which are not yet chipped. 

20200829_131518.jpg

20200829_131658.jpg

20200829_131926.jpg

• Like 3