Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 2:50 AM, patrick said:

Work progressed on three new new back to back ferts on the kitchen counter under carefully controlled conditions. Maureen was not home.......

20201006_213911.jpg

You need to be wary of Maureens. I've one too, and railway stuff is banished to small corners under executive orders from that source....... 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having completed the major scenic work and cleaned up the layout area it's a good time for a video showing how the layout fits into the available space. Our condo is split level, the stairs in the video comes down from the upper floor which is at ground level. This area has no windows, being a partial basement and the temperature remains constant throughout the year making it a perfect environment for a model railway. The area was originally intended as a storage room but the original owner had the builder omit the door and wall, finish the space, installed numerous electrical outlets and cable TV and called it a media room. Maureen agreed to me using the space for the layout "as long as it is tidy and looks good" 

Edited by patrick
  • Like 14
  • WOW! 4

The three back to backs are finally assembled and will be allowed time for the polystyrene cement to cure before washing and painting.  I would love to see more photos of the prototypes but unfortunately they seem extremely camera shy.  Does anybody know when they were introduced and finally withdrawn? 

20201030_134831.jpg

20201030_134923.jpg

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

46 minutes ago, flange lubricator said:

Love the wooden plank floor nice detail 

It's Plastruct  #91532 wood planking "painted" with a rail tie brown track weathering marker.

10 hours ago, StevieB said:

That Cork goods is an impressive length for a model railway.

Stephen

The Waterford fiddle yard and Grange loop have a capacity of twelve loose coupled wagons and a van. The Cork Fiddle yard and Glen More loop are considerably longer. Careful traffic management and some "fiddling" in the Waterford fiddle yard allow for running longer trains because its fun to do so!

• Like 3

The three new back to backs have been painted. On one the flat wagon was painted grey since many of the prototypes were still in this colour into the seventies. While working on this project I watched videos of trains on the Cork city railway and couldn't resist posing them with a bitumen tank to represent a typical transfer run between Kent station and Albert Quay in the late sixties and early seventies.

20201102_145531.jpg

20201102_145306.jpg

20201102_144852.jpg

20201102_144504.jpg

20201102_144300.jpg

• Like 9

Modern Pallet Wagon

There appear to have been two variations of the back to back and pictures of them seem to be rare. The photo from Brian Flannigan's excellent Flicker album shows one type. My models represents a more primitive version seen here on this video from which all details and dimensions were estimated from so they are really just representations of the prototype since I have been unable to find a photo of this type. If they pass the two foot rule I'm happy.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The first run for the new back to backs. They were picked  up at Glen  More by a 16 wagon Cork goods. The 20 wagons plus brake van train fouled the points of the Cork fiddle yard, the limit being 16 wagons and a van. I'm pleased with the new wagons. A unit train of them is a tempting idea.

• Like 9
  • WOW! 4

First effort to make a load for the back to backs. The IRM loads are too large for my wagons and in any case it would be expensive to load even a few of them. The load is made from modeling clay around a foam core. Now that I have figured out how to make them this one will be replaced with a neater one. The camera is cruel magnifing every flaw.

20201116_200231.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 10

Good work, some pics show shiny ratchet strap holders - perhaps a later addition but having straps over will give some colour and relief to the bags.   I wonder (not looked) if military modellers have anything of used in the way of sand bag walling that could make moulds if the unit train idea gets wings ?

Thanks for showing 

Robert  

• 4 weeks later...

I have not been able to spend time on the layout following foot surgery which unfortunately did not go as planned. Following my new podiatrists orders I am spending my days on the sofa with my foot elevated. A bright spot today was the arrival of a couple of 121's. I couldn't resist posing one on the layout and taking a few photos.

20201209_144659.jpg

20201209_144918.jpg

20201209_145159.jpg

20201209_145333.jpg

20201209_145434.jpg

20201209_145458.jpg

• Like 13
  • WOW! 6

1 hour ago, popeye said:

Looks great in the black & tan.

World class model. Hard to believe how far Irish models have come in the ten years since construction on the South Waterford Line was started. I was expecting to have to do a lot more scratch building with no way I could reach that standard.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...