Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Every detail of that layout represents what we must all aspire to - from concept, to historical accuracy, to technical brilliance, to layout, to scenic splendour...... keep it coming!

All you need to complete it is a small blue mini car with a "VIM" registration on a platform, with a youthful Barry Carse taking pictures for a future book 40 years into the future!

What a great idea!

• Like 1

Superbly detailed atmospheric modelling Patrick - congratulations.

I spotted your placement of the "more sporty" or "premium" versions of cars - the cream/white & green striped Cortina - was the livery of the special "lotus" version, while the orange Austin 1300 (guessing here) has the sports wheels and special colour of the better versions. Lovely memories 🙂 - (I also like older cars !).

George  

• Like 2

On 22/6/2022 at 11:57 PM, patrick said:

What Kadee  works with the mags? 

Kadee NEM No 18s but you will have to superglue them to the underside of the NEM pockets rather than plug them in, if you wish to have them at the correct heights for interoperability with other Kadee fitted stock and if you wish to use kadee uncoupling magnets. I did this with the IRM ballast and cement wagons no problem as they share the same chassis as the mags and the ploughs. There was an argument just to correct the height at each  end of a rake using the NEM pockets for the wagons within a rake, but I could not stomach the lack of interoperability.

Some pics below of Ballasts with Kadee no 18s fitted

Kadee18_IRM_ballast_02.jpg

Correct height below. Tongs of NEM super glued to underside of NEM pocket is perfect height for Kadee matching its specified height gauge.

IMG_5684.jpg

Kadee18_IRM_ballast_01.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very little modeling was done over the summer months but the arrival of fall weather has led to a resurgence of activity in the wagon shop. Work is progressing on two ex GS wooden bodied vans and Dapol Prestwin underframe is being modified to better represent a CIE container flat for an IRM container. 

20220928_115026.jpg

20220928_111614.jpg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 2

On 29/9/2022 at 4:59 AM, patrick said:

Very little modeling was done over the summer months but the arrival of fall weather has led to a resurgence of activity in the wagon shop. Work is progressing on two ex GS wooden bodied vans and Dapol Prestwin underframe is being modified to better represent a CIE container flat for an IRM container. 

20220928_111614.jpg

The timber frames GSR Vans appear to be a double-skinned or insulated version of the standard IRCH Covered Wagon intended for "perishable" traffic such as bacon or butter traffic.

1554579369_Hdoubleskinnedvan.jpg.87fa6698596f38d78cc3c6e889a73670.jpg

1312969451_IRCHVan.thumb.jpg.1520a60911adda2ea1faaccdfa7e01b3.jpg

16586 is basically a doubled skinned version of 15903 also a GSR built van

A possible traffic from the Glenmore Co-Op?

These vans appear to have been in traffic up to the Mid 70s until replaced by Insulated containers or the traffic was lost to rail

• Like 6
  • Informative 2

Almost ready for the paint shop. The IRM and C Rail containers have easily removable floors allowing them to sit on the Dapol floor avoiding the need to remove the base for the silos. The white plasticard was added for stability and strength and thee cent coins were added for weight. The buffers are from Dart Castings. 

20221002_172709.jpg

20221002_172643.jpg

20221002_174747.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

On 2/10/2022 at 5:09 AM, Mayner said:

The timber frames GSR Vans 

These vans appear to have been in traffic up to the Mid 70s until replaced by Insulated containers or the traffic was lost to rail

Indeed. There was a cull of them in the early 70s - they were commonplace up to then, but a few did survive in use. I saw one in use in Kilkenny I think in 1976.

Same with wooden opens and, indeed, other wooden vans - quite a few 1970/2, but no wooden opens at all after that, and few if any wooden vans like ex-GNR ones, for example.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Indeed. There was a cull of them in the early 70s - they were commonplace up to then, but a few did survive in use. I saw one in use in Kilkenny I think in 1976.

Same with wooden opens and, indeed, other wooden vans - quite a few 1970/2, but no wooden opens at all after that, and few if any wooden vans like ex-GNR ones, for example.

I saw one grey (double skinned) van apparently in service in Westport Good Yard in 1975. Was on holidays with my parents and did not get a chance to check out the station or yard.

The IRCH Standard Wooden vans like the ex GNR seem to have gone by the early 70s, quite a few grounded bodies floating around on farms and factories.

The remaining GSWR/GSR steel framed planked version of the H Van seem to have ended up in Departmental service by the mid 70s at least one a long term resident at the Sheriff Street crossing end of the Dardanelle Sidings, the vans in Departmental service had a small window in the end.

• Like 2

After a week of rain today is warm and dry so I took the opportunity to do some painting in the garage. Shown are the Dapol Prestwin container flat conversion, an ex GN 12 ton van built from a Parkside kit, a Provincial Wagons ex GN van and scratchbuilt ex GS insulated van.

20221005_151256.jpg

20221005_151231.jpg

• Like 9