Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

More JM Design wagons waiting for couplers before entering service. All will be weathered when I'm so inclined. These are great models and it's good to see the full range is currently available. The most difficult part of completing these models was applying the tiny tare transfer to the planked vans.

20230820_125328.jpg

Edited by patrick
Additional information.
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Colin R said:

Hi Guys for some reason I was unable to see these videos in the UK any help to see them would be welcome 

Same thing happens to me very very often with videos hosted on the forum.

If using a device with a mouse, right-click on the video and choose download from the pop-up menu.

If viewing on a touchscreen device, tap and hold your finger on the video until the menu pops up, then choose the download option.

This is what I see, and what I see after tapping and holding. Obviously in Spanish but "guardar" means "download" .

Screenshot_20230826-161807.png

Screenshot_20230826-161814.png

Edited by DJ Dangerous
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend Maureen and I traveled to Stratford Ontario for the annual Shakespeare Festival. While there we saw Spamalot, Dark Magic and King Lear, all wonderful productions. I also got to check out the railroad activity.  Stratford is served by the Canadian National RR which runs a daily freight daily in each direction and two Via Rail trains each way between Sarnia and Toronto. It is also the interchanged point for the Goderich Exeter Railway whose main business is hauling salt from a mine at Goderich and grain from online elevators.

On Saturday we caught the Toronto bound Via train and a Goderich Exeter GP15 at Stratford, the Goderich bound train having already left. Monday morning we caught the Goderich power, two GP's in the yard. 

It was a great weekend getaway which we hope to do again next year. 

20230904_102807.jpg

20230903_113445.jpg

20230903_113330.jpg

20230903_113113.jpg

IMG_20230909_143434.jpg

20230904_102111.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 8

Track work on the curve outside Grange. There were two bad rail joints on curves on the main line. Put it down to my inexperienced laying flex track on insulation foam when I started the layout. These areas were prone to occasional derailment especially when trains were propelled around them. Today I finally got around to fixing it. Here East of Grange a section of track was replaced to fix the problem. 

20230912_172351.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest addition to the fleet is this Provincial Wagons GN brake van. After the dissolution of the GN in 1958 CIE acquired several of these vans. They didn't last long on CIE however I recall seeing one arrive in Tralee on an afternoon goods about 1966. I plan  to run it occasionally during mid sixties operating sessions on the South Waterford Line. 

Does anyone know if any of these vans were repainted by CIE or if they retained their GN lettering till the end?

20231211_151419.jpg

• Like 5

Someone told me once that they thought only one was repainted by CIE, but I have no way of verifying that. What we do know, however, is that very few of them survived long with CIE, as they were churning out brand new 20T vans like nobody's business. many without doubt went to the scrappers still with "G N" on them.

I never saw one in use other than with the UTA / NIR, but I would say the one mentioned above in 1966 has got to have been about the last of them on CIE.

You've got me thinking about the one that ended up on the Dugort Harbour branch! Next time I see Leslie, I'll see what coins I have..........!

• Like 4

There's a photo of one at Liffey Jct in 1970 (IRRS Flickr), which shows no sign of new ownership at all. The one behind no.184 in John Dewing's famous photo at Islandbridge Jct appears to still have its "GN". We did this paint job on one for a customer some years ago and I would suggest that it largely fits the bill. CIE tended to slosh paint over the original owner's lettering and add a snail (no disrespect intended, it was a practical thing to do). They then added a small "N" after the number for ex-GN, "M" for ex MGWR, etc. Plenty of evidence of this done to other wagons.  We didn't do that here, but I suspect that it SHOULD have been done.

GNRI_20t_asCIE._GNRI_006.thumb.jpg.837cdbff4dab41ead1e9383454f45ba7.jpg

Hope that this helps - nice build, Patrick.

No charge for the consultancy ......

Happy Christmas - off now to sort out getting my octagenarian wife back onto the road - the (deleted expletive) people at Nautical Insurance wrote off her perfectly roadworthy car. Insurance? Don't make me laugh!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 8

11 hours ago, patrick said:

Thanks John. The interior looks grey in the O'Dea photo. 

It is. They all were.

The RPSI has a beautifully and expertly preserved van if this type at Whitehead, but as so often, livery details are wrong. It has this cream-painted inner balcony; this should be grey. It’s right inside the van - out of sight - that was cream, at least on the upper half. Worse, all of its vertical steel framing is painted black, none of them ever having tin like that - it looks like a zebra!

Not just CIE, but the GNR too, painted them all grey.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Informative 2

I

21 hours ago, patrick said:

Crossley power on the South Waterford Line. A42 leads an empty beet special through Grange and meets A55 shunting the pick up goods at Glen More, 

21 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Just brilliant! 

19 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

That's lovely, very effective.

I cant view these videos for some reason. Just sound. I had no problem seeing Patrick's previous footage, but not these latest two. Any help?

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2023 at 7:44 PM, derek said:

I cant view these videos for some reason. Just sound. I had no problem seeing Patrick's previous footage, but not these latest two. Any help?

On 30/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

In case anybody has problems viewing @patrick's videos, as I do, if you hold your finger on the video on a mobile device, the option to download should appear, and once downloaded, you can then view it.

Not sure why, it only happens sometimes with some videos, where only the audio plays while trying to view via the forum.

Lovely stuff, Patrick!