Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

12 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Thanks for the reply Dave. I view the forum on a laptop and holding the cursor on the video while holding down the button is doing nothing. Its strange cos I can view older videos, as I said. I will have to  get my IT department (my son)😀 on to it. Thanks again

• Funny 1

19 minutes ago, derek said:

Thanks for the reply Dave. I view the forum on a laptop and holding the cursor on the video while holding down the button is doing nothing. Its strange cos I can view older videos, as I said. I will have to  get my IT department (my son)😀 on to it. Thanks again

Hi Derek

I am like you I have not ben able to see any of the videos for sometime, I am not sure if this is a win10 thing or not but I have tried the various suggestion and nothing works I have talked about this to my tech department at work and he can not fine a reason either why it does not work.

Regards

Colin    

1 minute ago, Colin R said:

Hi Derek

I am like you I have not ben able to see any of the videos for sometime, I am not sure if this is a win10 thing or not but I have tried the various suggestion and nothing works I have talked about this to my tech department at work and he can not fine a reason either why it does not work.

Regards

Colin    

Hi Colin, thanks for that. I am running Windows 8 (couldn't be arsed updating as I only really use laptop for forum business) , so it probably not that reason. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, derek said:

On 26/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Same thing happens to me very very often with videos hosted on the forum.

If using a device with a mouse, right-click on the video and choose download from the pop-up menu.

If viewing on a touchscreen device, tap and hold your finger on the video until the menu pops up, then choose the download option.

This is what I see, and what I see after tapping and holding. Obviously in Spanish but "guardar" means "download" .

Screenshot_20230826-161807.png

Screenshot_20230826-161814.png

Good old right-click!

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Good old right-click!

Nah, nothing doing Dave. Right clicking gives me a range of options to do with the audio only. Seems to be recognising video as a sound file only maybe? I wonder if @patrick uploaded latest videos differently from earlier work? Over to you Patrick.........

• Informative 1

14 minutes ago, derek said:

Nah, nothing doing Dave. Right clicking gives me a range of options to do with the audio only. Seems to be recognising video as a sound file only maybe? I wonder if @patrick uploaded latest videos differently from earlier work? Over to you Patrick.........

So you don't get a "Save As" option when you right-click?

"Guardar como" in Spanish on my PC, but it should follow the same layout.

Using Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2, instealled three and a half years ago.

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 01.jpg

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 02.jpg

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 03.jpg

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 04.jpg

I cannot view (or hear) these videos either, nor will they download. I'm using a google notebook. After I click on the three vertical dots (to the right of the play bar), it goes through the motions of downloading and shows the video as a file in the download folder, but all I get when I open the file is a black screen. Something is incompatible.

• Informative 1

On 26/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

So you don't get a "Save As" option when you right-click?

"Guardar como" in Spanish on my PC, but it should follow the same layout.

Using Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2, instealled three and a half years ago.

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 01.jpg

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 02.jpg

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 03.jpg

2023-12-26 IRM Forum 04.jpg

21 hours ago, Ironroad said:

I cannot view (or hear) these videos either, nor will they download. I'm using a google notebook. After I click on the three vertical dots (to the right of the play bar), it goes through the motions of downloading and shows the video as a file in the download folder, but all I get when I open the file is a black screen. Something is incompatible.

Dave I get a "save audio as" option only. Also @Ironroad when I click on the 3 dots on the right I can download and play video, but I only get about 2 seconds of clear viewing then it greys out . Strange

• Informative 1

I have found a solution to playing the videos that works for me on an iPad. Hold your finger on the grey play button for 5 seconds or more. Then double tap. The video shows up and starts to play, tap again if it is slightly dark to get the full colour. I hope this works for some of you.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, TimO said:

I have found a solution to playing the videos that works for me on an iPad. Hold your finger on the grey play button for 5 seconds or more. Then double tap. The video shows up and starts to play, tap again if it is slightly dark to get the full colour. I hope this works for some of you.

Nope. Gonna have to give up on this thread- too frustrating. Pity cos I love Patrick's stuff😢

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, derek said:

Nope. Gonna have to give up on this thread- too frustrating. Pity cos I love Patrick's stuff😢

Hi Derek

Not sure if it is just me, but I am now getting a reply saying this video is not encoded in a recognized format but I can not find out what the format is anyway?

Regards

Colin 

• Informative 1

On 27/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, derek said:

Dave I get a "save audio as" option only. Also @Ironroad when I click on the 3 dots on the right I can download and play video, but I only get about 2 seconds of clear viewing then it greys out . Strange

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help, @derek.

I had a look around online and the most common suggestion is to try an alternate browser.

If you're using Firefox, try Chrome, Edge, Opera etc instead.

Can't remember Windows 8 myself, it's been a few years since the free upgrades to WIndows 10 now.

Haven't a clue about iPods and iPads and iStuff, just Windows and Android, really.

Have just started using an iPhone for work, and by default, it is set to use exclusive / less common video and image formats.

If @patrick is using an iDevice, that may explain part of the issue.

Maybe @BosKonay can shed some light...

If it helps I was able to download the videos to my computer. Then I went to Downloads and played them with "VLC Media Player". They played perfectly. I find VLC a good programme for playing a wide range of videos that other programmes don't play, and it was free to download.

They are well worth watching, as always. 

• Informative 1

46 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help, @derek.

I had a look around online and the most common suggestion is to try an alternate browser.

If you're using Firefox, try Chrome, Edge, Opera etc instead.

Can't remember Windows 8 myself, it's been a few years since the free upgrades to WIndows 10 now.

Haven't a clue about iPods and iPads and iStuff, just Windows and Android, really.

Have just started using an iPhone for work, and by default, it is set to use exclusive / less common video and image formats.

If @patrick is using an iDevice, that may explain part of the issue.

Maybe @BosKonay can shed some light...

19 minutes ago, Brendan8056 said:

If it helps I was able to download the videos to my computer. Then I went to Downloads and played them with "VLC Media Player". They played perfectly. I find VLC a good programme for playing a wide range of videos that other programmes don't play, and it was free to download.

They are well worth watching, as always. 

@DJ Dangerous, I appreciate your efforts Dave. My browser is Chrome so I might try Firefox. Thanks. @Brendan8056, My son , who is pretty techy minded played a video on VLC, commenting " if it doesn't run on this  it will run on nothing". And it didn't. Sigh....... He makes out the problem could be on Patricks end- however he is uploading. Thanks for the help  again lads.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate everyone who is trying to sort this issue out. I am extremely bad at tech issues and the best I can offer is that I'm using a Samsung android phone to record and post the videos. Maybe there is something I can do at this end to help.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, patrick said:

I appreciate everyone who is trying to sort this issue out. I am extremely bad at tech issues and the best I can offer is that I'm using a Samsung android phone to record and post the videos. Maybe there is something I can do at this end to help.

Patrick, I am sure that my videos have the same issue, but once you let them play through (with stops while the computer draws breath), I found that by restarting once it had downloaded they ran as one would hope they would! Yes, a painful process, but to see a good video .....

UPDATE. Tried again, NOTHING. I'm on a new iMac.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A42 on a sugar beet train waits for the Waterford goods at Grange.

My locomotive fleet really needs weathering however while I have no problem mucking up anything I have painted myself I have  a mortal fear of touching anything else.

20240228_101442.jpg

20240228_100730.jpg

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, patrick said:

A42 on a sugar beet train waits for the Waterford goods at Grange.

My locomotive fleet really needs weathering however while I have no problem mucking up anything I have painted myself I have  a mortal fear of touching anything else.

20240228_101442.jpg

20240228_100730.jpg

I'm the same, I will do sometime though 🤞🫣

Hi Patrick, lovely photos, particularly A42 on the beets. Can I ask you what’s the secret behind your painting on these Bulleid wagons?  Is your base colour a silver or a grey colour and what have you used for the ‘rusting’. 

I presume your grey on the wooden opens and vans comes from a range of rattle cans?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TimO said:

Hi Patrick, lovely photos, particularly A42 on the beets. Can I ask you what’s the secret behind your painting on these Bulleid wagons?  Is your base colour a silver or a grey colour and what have you used for the ‘rusting’. 

I presume your grey on the wooden opens and vans comes from a range of rattle cans?

All my grey wagons, including the Bulleid opens are painted with grey primer from rattle cans. The Bulleids then recieve washes of very diluted black poster paint with a few drops of dish washing detergen sprayed on with a spray bottle. The wash should look like very dirty water. A paint brush is used work the wash into corners and crevices. This process is repeated allowing wash to dry between applications. I have found that it is best to place the wagon upside-down while drying  to avoid unrealistic water marks in the interior caused by water pooling.

Once the desired effect is achieved and the wagon is totally dry it is dry brushed with white paint. Using prototype photos as a guide the axel boxes get a wash of black paint to represent oil stains and rust applied using weathering chalk, again consult prototype photos as a guide. 

Edited by patrick
  • Like 4