Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

The lack of progress on the layout in the last months was as a result of Maureen and I seriously considering moving. That is now no longer under consideration so work can resume once more. 

One project where some progress was made however is the conversion to Kadee couplers. At this point over half the loose coupled goods stock including all the opens used in beet service and the end wagons of the Bell liner and bogie fertilizer wagons have been fitted along with about half the locomotives. Kadee #5 couplers in their own draft gear boxes have been used on most wagons which prove to be extremely reliable.  #19 were used on locomotives, the bogie  fertilizer wagons and the JM brake vans. Operatuon is so much better and enjoyable with the Kadees. I don't use magnets but prefer to use cocktail sticks for uncoupling, a method I have used since my HO American modeling days. The accessibility offered by the high layout height and walk around design make this method very practical. I was skeptical about using this method at first but quickly found that during operation that operators are so engrossed in planning shunting moves that the introduction of "the hand of god" above the trains was not a distraction..

20220423_145619.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

Manual uncoupling of Kadee Couplers is quite common among American outline modellers', some people use proprietary tools produced by companies like Rix Products or Kadee, others use tootpicks or  interdental brushes https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/maybe-the-best-kadee-uncoupling-tool-for-me-anyway-12298153

Remote uncoupling is not really an issue with an American style Walk-Around layout where the focus is on the operators enjoyment as opposed to producing a visually interesting display for an exhibition. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 24/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, Mayner said:

Manual uncoupling of Kadee Couplers is quite common among American outline modellers', some people use proprietary tools produced by companies like Rix Products or Kadee, others use tootpicks or  interdental brushes https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/maybe-the-best-kadee-uncoupling-tool-for-me-anyway-12298153

Remote uncoupling is not really an issue with an American style Walk-Around layout where the focus is on the operators enjoyment as opposed to producing a visually interesting display for an exhibition. 

Thanks for the tip John. I picked up a pack of interdental brushes and am very pleased with the results. One issue I had with the tooth picks was them becoming jammed between the couplers occasionally causing derailments when trying to remove them. This was exasperated by the much lighter two axel irish stock compared to the much larger and heavier US outline models. This issue has now been eliminated. No need to adapt the brushes to fit on the end of a dowel as shown on the video. The protective cover fits on the end extending their length allowing plenty of room to clear the roof of any irish rolling stock.

20220427_135604.jpg

20220427_135431.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 5
  • Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With four Crossley engined A class and a grey 121 added to the roster recently more grey loose coupled goods wagons were needed for sixties operation sessions. Here three Provincial Wagons GN 12 ton vans, a Parkside 12 ton van, a Parkside palvan kitbash and a Studio Scale Models 30 ton brake van await the paint shop.

20220616_113912.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, StevieB said:

Have you bought any of Mayner’s wagons? They are quite delightful.

Stephen

Yes, three brake vans and they are indeed delightful however after acquiring  seven A class and a rake of magnesite wagons this year it will be a while before I can afford anymore!

• Agree 1

Also on the workbench awaiting some final details is the first of two ex GS vans which will be painted CIE grey. The chassis is from a Dapol meat van kit. The doors are adapted from the extra ones which came with the Parkside 12 ton van kit.

20220616_201944.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, patrick said:

Yes, three brake vans and they are indeed delightful however after acquiring  seven A class and a rake of magnesite wagons this year it will be a while before I can afford anymore!

That is the trouble these days, with so much good stuff being available, it wounds the wallet!

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, patrick said:

Also on the workbench awaiting some final details is the first of two ex GS vans which will be painted CIE grey. The chassis is from a Dapol meat van kit. The doors are adapted from the extra ones which came with the Parkside 12 ton van kit.

20220616_201944.jpg

A kit absolutely crying out to be made!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/20/2018 at 7:48 PM, Noel said:

OK change of mind. I've decided I'm not happy to compromise on the kadee height on the Ballasts I converted earlier. Aside from the trip pins being too high for magnets to operate uncoupling, visually the coupler in the NEM pockets are almost the same height as the buffers which visually clutters these lovely models and doesn't look right. I have now followed IRMs advice and glued the kadee no 18 under the NEM pockets.  This is much closer to the correct Kadee height gauge.

IRM Ballasts after conversion to Kadee No 18s GLUED UNDER the NEM pockets - gap greatly reduced enhancing the look of a rake. Coupling now matches loco heights and other stock on the layout which will facilitate shunting and marshalling. It took a while but I saw the light. I did some running tests today and this coupling distance runs runs perfectly on the layout including on the few short radius Peco streamline points I have. Also tested ok on some spare 2nd radius curves.  Happy days.

IMG_5684.jpg

Shows no 18s glued to underside of the NEM pockets. You will need to file off the thin IRM logo on one of the NEM pockets. Matches loco perfectly now so no risk of uncoupling at changes of gradients, or when coupled to other rolling stock.

Kadee18_IRM_ballast_01.jpg

Comparison between using the NEM pockets or IRMs recommended fix of gluing the kadee's to the underside of the NEM pocket.

Kadee18_IRM_ballast_02.jpg

This visually looks much better as the coupling is below buffer height.

IMG_5680.jpg

I'll have to weather all the newly installed kadee's now! :) 

IMG_5681.jpg

It really is worth the time to iteratively trail and error Kadee conversions especially extensive running tests on shortest radius curves on the layout, and with other rolling stock both being hauled and pushed. Will do the same fix with the IRM cement wagons and the ploughs in due course. I understand the Tara's have the NEM pocket at the correct height. 

PS: Kadee no 17s would only work on vary large radius track and only if also glued under the NEM pockets because they cannot plug into the NEM pocket without removing the lovely cosmetic coupling hook.

Hi Patrick , above is a qoute from Noel on his kaydee thread which should point in the right direction.

great pics of a domestic flow across your bit of Ireland.

Robert  

• Like 1

Every detail of that layout represents what we must all aspire to - from concept, to historical accuracy, to technical brilliance, to layout, to scenic splendour...... keep it coming!

All you need to complete it is a small blue mini car with a "VIM" registration on a platform, with a youthful Barry Carse taking pictures for a future book 40 years into the future!

• Like 2