Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2021 at 5:15 AM, patrick said:

A29r shunting beet wagons at Glen More. It seems like I spent any spare moment today running this stunning model back and forth across the layout. 

20211011_234236.jpg

20211011_234301.jpg

20211011_234726.jpg

Yes IMHO the finest livery combination of them all. Looks fab on your layout, right at home in B&T nostalgia gold heaven.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rush and Lusk said:

Absolutely wonderful Patrick - I feel transported back to a more relaxed time in 1967.

I am fortunate to have acquired 3 of these superb "A's" - I did however miss out on the lined green A46 (?) and have been seriously considering A42 - it looks really striking on your layout. Well done. 

I am developing a real soft spot for A42. There's something about that green.

• Like 1

The latest arrival on the South Waterford Line. I'm so glad I got my order in in time for these JM Design brake vans since I missed the earlier flying snail version and these two are no longer shown on John's website. Next project is to aquire more grey wagons for a 1967 operating session.

20211115_131519.jpg

20211115_131237.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUMmP-HTULw

My son Kieran Made this movie of an impromptu operating session on the South Waterford Line while visiting from Korea where he is learning the language and teaches English. I really should have taken the time to clean the track and tidy up the layout before we started. Please ignore signal indications as the signaling system wiring is a work in progress. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

2 hours ago, patrick said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUMmP-HTULw

My son Kieran Made this movie of an impromptu operating session on the South Waterford Line while visiting from Korea where he is learning the language and teaches English. I really should have taken the time to clean the track and tidy up the layout before we started. Please ignore signal indications as the signaling system wiring is a work in progress. 

Stunning, no other word Patrick!

• Agree 1

I can only agree with the comments above. I think it is important for those of us, who know how railways used to operate, pass this knowledge on the next generations so that they can operate their model railways in the correct manner rather than just play trains, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Stephen

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/11/2021 at 9:20 AM, StevieB said:

I can only agree with the comments above. I think it is important for those of us, who know how railways used to operate, pass this knowledge on the next generations so that they can operate their model railways in the correct manner rather than just play trains, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Stephen

Couldn’t agree more! Very well said.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally the  conversion to Kadee couplers has begun.  So far 165, four Bulleid opens and JM designs brake van have been done. The new couplers have greatly improved the running of the light Bulleid opens and I was surprised how much of a improvement in appearance the closer coupling made.

20220107_131911.jpg

20220107_131756.jpg

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, David Holman said:

For me, tension locks spoil many a good model and Kadees are probably as good a compromise as any for modern image and indeed most narrow gauge options.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of modellers I have heard complaining that Kadees are not prototypical for UK/Irish rolling yet are happy to use big ugly tension locks!

That aside, my main reason for liking them is their reliability and the added feature of hands free uncoupling and shunting.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

I have used Kadees in the past in my American HO days but am just getting round to converting the South Waterford Line now.  The opens have #5 in their own boxes as I had them on hand. I'm not sure yet about magnetic uncoupling. For now I will be using wooden skewers as I did on my previous US themed layouts. This system is extremely practical on a high level walk around layout.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 3

The Model Railway Society of Loughrea group standarised during the 1990s on Kadee No 36 couplings for locos coaches and wagons https://www.kadee.com/ho-scale-couplers-c-274_276_284/36-ho-scale-30series-plastic-couplers-with-gearboxes-long-2564-centerset-shank-p-270.htm which worked out very reliable under exhibition conditions.

The standard 30 Series dragbox and long center set shank worked out ideal for converted rtr, kit and scratchbuilt stock even a Push Pull set with Lima MK3 Coaches no problems with height adjustment as the bottom edge of the chassis/buffer beam provides a reliable datum for fixing the daftgear box, the coupler includes nylon fixing screws and washers which prevent the box rotating.

I fitted the MM 141s with body mount couplings by removing the draft gear box from the bogies and fitting the box to the pilot together with the little filler/piece supplied with the loco, the conversion takes me back to fitting Microtrain couplers to Atlas and Kato N Gauge diesels in the early 1990s before the manufacturers eliminated the coupler slot by switching from bogie to body mounted  couplings for N gauge American diesels.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I caught these images of mid seventies Irish goods trains while switching from a late sixties to a 1974 operating session. Hard to believe when I started the layout ten years ago the only rolling stock available which appear in the photos were the MM baby GM's, SSM open wagon Dapol Prestwin underframes and the Parkside 12 ton van. 

20220314_184057.jpg

20220314_184151.jpg

20220314_184127.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 13
  • WOW! 3