Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

1 hour ago, Midland Man said:

Wow diesels go lore. All you need is a RPSI steam engine with vintage GSWR and NCC carriages. How did you build the buildings?

The signal box is a Ratio kit with the stone steps replaced with shortened ones which came from the Dapol box which it replaced. The goods shed is scratch built from foam board covered with Plastistruct embossed stone sheet. I still have to get around to finishing the roof. The station building is a Dapol kit. None of the buildings are accurate models of any prototype but capture the atmosphere of a small station in the South East in the seventies. A prototypical paint scheme goes a long way to achieve this.

• Like 2

What started yesterday as a minor buffer repair on one of my palvans turned into a rebuild and repaint of two of them. The wagons were some of the first Irish rolling stock constructed about 10 years ago to evaluate the practicality of building an Irish layout. Does anyone know if the roofs of the prototypes were painted black?

20200513_214346.jpg

20200513_212306.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 4

On 5/14/2020 at 6:40 AM, patrick said:

What started yesterday as a minor buffer repair on one of my palvans turned into a rebuild and repaint of two of them. The wagons were some of the first Irish rolling stock constructed about 10 years ago to evaluate the practicality of building an Irish layout. Does anyone know if the roofs of the prototypes were painted black?

20200513_214346.jpg

20200513_212306.jpg

Superb little vans!

Regarding roofs, none were painted black. Always brown exactly as you have them, though weathering turned them a dirty exhaust colour after a while!

I saw a few newly painted and they looked just like that. If you were going to weather them, just give the roof a heavy dose of it rather than painting greyish. CIE were economical with liveries as were there predecessors - whatever colour one bit of a wagon was, the whole lot was!

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

The footbridge looks so much better lowered to the correct height. Well done. When I did this to my footbridge, I found that you have to be very careful with the plastic latticework when cutting bits off. Also, the surface areas available for sticking the pieces back together are very limited. What colour did you repaint it in?

Stephen

4 hours ago, StevieB said:

The footbridge looks so much better lowered to the correct height. Well done. When I did this to my footbridge, I found that you have to be very careful with the plastic latticework when cutting bits off. Also, the surface areas available for sticking the pieces back together are very limited. What colour did you repaint it in?

Stephen

This is the paint I used Stephen. I don't remember where I got it, possibly an auto parts store but it was chosen because it matched the gray trim on the Bachmann Irish station building. The colour is described as Machinery Gray on the can. At some stage the bridge will get weathered with an overall wash of very diluted black and drybrushed  with white.

IMG_20200520_093230.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 2

20200525_125805.jpg

20200525_125744.jpgThe recently (almost) completed footbridge at Glen More has spurned on progress on the stalled rebuild of the station. The bank for the yet to be built goods store is well underway and room has been found for an end loading dock, a perfect destination for Leslie's flat wagons.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 7

20200526_122640.jpg

20200526_122607.jpg

20200526_122559.jpgAnyone who has attempted to lay out a station platform with a bay on a curve will appreciate my relief on getting the job done. Much cutting and adjusting was done to make a template from craft paper for the platform surface to get the clearances right before it was cut from a sheet of 1mm back card. This was then supported on  a base made from blue Styrofoam insulation sheet brought up to the height of Peco platform edging using more card. The wall behind the passenger side of the platform is a mock up to evaluate appearance, I may go with a fence here. The surface is not yet glued in place to facilitate blending in the platform edging on the goods side with the goods store which will be faced with the same embossed styrene brick sheet.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

A few more, the second showing the new goods bank without wagons blocking the view. The first shows an extension to the siding serving the gantry crane and tar depot. The field which was in this area was too small to look convincing, at least to my eye and the gantry was too close to the main line. 

Edited by patrick

20200529_120828.jpg

20200529_120641.jpgFollowing the successful assembly of the brake vans I finally plucked up the courage at attempt the SSM level crossing, a kit I have had for the last 8 years. A fiddly kit to assemble but painting was probably more difficult, at least to me but then again I am much more comfortable with Scultamold  ballast and carving foam. Overall well worth the effort though, the kit really captures the look of CIE level crossing gates.The crossing keepers cottage is meant to be a temporary place holder adapted from a Scalescenes lock keepers cottage, its been there at least 5 years! Hopefully it will get replaced by a better model soon.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 7