Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Patrick,

Good to see more trains running and yes the beet empties do look good.   I guess ballasting and the back road around the signal cabin next on the long to do list. Meanwhile I wish you and the family a happy new year .  I noticed that you have 4 pawed manager in one shot of the fiddle yard, hopefully respectful of the running of trains.

Robert 

Hi Leslie, here are four more of your Bulleids and three more SSM opens, all of the opens on the layout on one train. The beets are sesame seeds which are flat rather than round or fat but look well at normal viewing distances. They are also very cheap! They could use some weathering though. the cat Robert mentions seen in one of the photos is Kate, We have three, the other two being Molly and Finbar.  None have ever given me any problem with the layout. This I attribute th the layout height and the drape underneath the benchmark which gives them nothing solid to hang on to and climb. Liberal use of a spray bottle filled with water early on probably also helped!

IMG_20191226_185544.jpg

IMG_20191226_185407.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, skinner75 said:

The ferts look amazing behind that A.

That's how I remember them, behind an A class in Supertrain livery. The last time I saw an A or ferts for that matter was during a visit back to Ireland in 1992. While visiting friends in Farranfore I wandered down to the station in time to see the arrival of a fertilizer train behind a decrepit A class in IE colours, The A ran around its train and shoved it into the Kerry Co Op siding before continuing  light engine to Tralee. The condition of the A saddened me and in my opinion the Tipped stripe did nothing for them.

Edited by patrick
  • Like 1

My job as a night shift nurse can be stressful, however coming home at 8am putting Horslips Celtic Symphony on the stereo, cracking open a draught Guiness and looking for new photo angles on the layout.make everything just fine.

IMG_20200227_103118.jpg

IMG_20200227_103141.jpg

IMG_20200227_103530.jpg

IMG_20200227_103806.jpg

IMG_20200227_103250.jpg

IMG_20200225_104024.jpg

Edited by patrick
  • Like 13
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...

Three cattle wagons were put into service tonight. Leslie's kits generally don't gather much dust on the work bench but these have been an exception taking several months to complete. Two more are in the works, both being adapted to the Vac Brake version.

IMG_20200420_003812.jpg

IMG_20200420_003613.jpg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, StevieB said:

Do you add brass wheel bearings or are they free running enough without?

Stephen

None of the 29 Provincial Wagons on the layout have brass bearings. While they are not the most free rolling wagons out there they perform fine on the layout which has no gradients and trains are 15 wagons or shorter.

5 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

I bought GP9 handbrake wheels from  Details West  in the USA for my cattle wagons and before Leslie produced his kit, still not yet fitted!. I cannot put my hand on them to post a picture but I'm sure you can find  an illustration.

Mic

I thought I could get away with using Athearn freight car brake wheels which I had in the scrap box but not only are they the wrong style but also too large and looked totally wrong on the wagon. I think I will cut to the chase and order the correct ones from Des.

7 hours ago, patrick said:

Progress so far on the Vac Brake version. I need to order some brake wheels from Des at SSM. 

IMG_20200420_010317.jpg

Looks great Patrick I have three to do all you need is the transfer saying '60MPH and VAC Brake ' I find it incredible the thought that those wagons were past for 60 mph on the back of a passenger train , one can only imagine what the journey was like for the poor cattle .

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, patrick said:

Ah yes, the transfers, or lack of! I wonder if anyone could be persuaded to produce them. 

(Oh dear, Patrick, you should have been sent them with the kit!

Mea culpa.

I'll get some to you asap.)

Oh, just read the post properly - maybe I should do a "Vac Pack" for you guys who want to treat the poor animals to a frightening ride?

Bad enough that they probably got soaked in the Irish weather with those planked roffs!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

(Oh dear, Patrick, you should have been sent them with the kit!

Mea culpa.

I'll get some to you asap.)

Oh, just read the post properly - maybe I should do a "Vac Pack" for you guys who want to treat the poor animals to a frightening ride?

Bad enough that they probably got soaked in the Irish weather with those planked roffs!

The transfers came with the kits Leslie. It's additional transfers for the Vac Brake version we are referring to here.

• 2 weeks later...

Nicely Ex Works! Neat construction and a good add to the roster. Hopefully when newness wears off some weathering where crew have battered it a bit and the soft rain has fallen and started the gentle decomposing of the tin! 

Thanks for showing and glad to know almost all ok and life grinds on !  Modelling hopefully gives a get-away period for you.

Robert  

4 hours ago, Midland Man said:

Wow.

Is it a easy kit?

I personally found it a bit of a challenge but then again it is only the second brass kit I assembled. The first was a similar  SSM brake van which  got completed last month after being on my work bench for about six years! The buffers are from Dart Castings which are a big improvement on the ones supplied with the Dapol underframe which comes with the kit. Since the model will receive frequent handling in the fiddle yards at the end of its run styrene running boards were cemented to the underframe which are much more durable than the brass ones provided with the kit not to mention far less fiddly to assemble. Some cleaning up still needs to be done on the model before getting a coat of matt varnish and weathering. 

Edited by patrick
  • Like 4