Wagons based on the "ballast chassis"

Rate this topic

murphaph

Hi all,

I note that the new and very handsome magnesite wagons are going to use the ballast wagon chassis.

I'm guessing that means future wagons based on this chassis are also going to use this chassis.

Which other wagons that were still running in 1995 are based on this same chassis?

Cheers all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Hi all,

I note that the new and very handsome magnesite wagons are going to use the ballast wagon chassis.

I'm guessing that means future wagons based on this chassis are also going to use this chassis.

Which other wagons that were still running in 1995 are based on this same chassis?

Cheers all.

They would have to be hopper wagons... ;) 

• Like 2

Something that I've been wondering about the "Ballast" chassis, or what we can probably call the "Classic" IRM chassis, is if IRM have any plans to introduce an easy to re-gauge version at some stage?

Not wanting to remove the thunder of today's launch, by the way!

The stage that I am at, personally, is collecting. I work too much, then do voluntary work at night, so even running trains in often takes me months.

However, in ten or twenty years, that won't be the case, and I'll likely be faced with the mammoth task of re-gauging to 21mm...

If all of the junk food and lack of exercise doesn't kill me before then.

If IRM were to release a re-gaugable 22' chassis at some stage, onto which current bodies could be swapped, that would certainly remove some of the headache, but would probably be expensive for anybody with a large collection.

I wonder if re-tooling the "Classic" 22' chassis to make it easy to re-gauge at some point would be likely?

Then using the re-tooled re-gaugable version for future 22' releases, and offering it for sale with no bodies for anybody wishing to swap over the excellent bodies from any of the current 22' IRM range?

I imagine that there would be an additonal cost involved for the first batch of wagons released with the re-tooled Classic chassis, but the cost of subsequent 22' wagon releases shouldn't be affected too much, I'd guess?

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

You've lost me now lol. I'm not familiar with any 4 wheel hopper wagons (bar the bubbles) which ran as late as 1995, or is that perhaps the reference I'm not getting 😊

The hint being that we've now covered all the suitable variations for this chassis. :D 

The "Classic 22ft" is similar, but not identical.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Funny 1

1 minute ago, murphaph said:

You've lost me now lol. I'm not familiar with any 4 wheel hopper wagons (bar the bubbles) which ran as late as 1995, or is that perhaps the reference I'm not getting 😊

Ballast, Gypsum, Magnesite, Cement Bubbles are pretty much yer lot for that chassis!

Thanks be to God 🙏 I had reserved myself to my fate of regauging the gypsums, ballasts and bubbles. The magnesites are way out of era for me but as the only remaining wagon based on that chassis I can understand the economics of sticking with the original tooling. Thanks for the prompt answers chaps 🙂 That's good news.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Thanks be to God 🙏 I had reserved myself to my fate of regauging the gypsums, ballasts and bubbles. The magnesites are way out of era for me but as the only remaining wagon based on that chassis I can understand the economics of sticking with the original tooling. Thanks for the prompt answers chaps 🙂 That's good news.

Same here - I can go and do a food shop now - and knock the heating back on.

• Funny 3

4 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Were the little flats for the containers different to these flats?

The best answer is probably yes and no!

The Flats, Oil Tank , Hopper Wagons, Bulk Cement, Byrytes and Zinc Ore Wagons all share a CIE "Standard 20' Underframe" but there were significant differences between the individual types of wagon.

The Skeletal Flats and Oil Tank Wagons had different framing to the Bulk Cement and Hopper wagons, hence Garfield's and BosKony's comments about having covered all possible variants to the Hopper & Bulk Cement Wagon chassis.

The 'Standard" 20' flats break down into two groups 546 steel floored flats dating from the mid 60s which were eventually re-built into Bagged Cement and Beet Double Wagons and 200 Skeletals introduced in 1970

The 'Classic" 22'6" Flats were a new design introduced in the 1970s to carry 8'6" containers completely different in design to the CIE Standard 20' Underframe.

• Like 3
  • Informative 3

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

The Bagged Cements & Beet Doubles were mounted on 25436-25982 Steel Floor flat wagons built during the mid 1960s sometimes described as "Lancashire Flats"

Ah ok... so I take it the bagged cements were modified as such later on? I vaguely remember them as a toddler in the sidings at Arklow and Gorey, both curtain sided and the ones with the ribbed sides.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niles said:

Ah ok... so I take it the bagged cements were modified as such later on? I vaguely remember them as a toddler in the sidings at Arklow and Gorey, both curtain sided and the ones with the ribbed sides.

The Pallet/Bagged Cement wagons were introduced in the mid 1970s with ribbed sided vertically opening balanced doors, the balanced doors on some but not all wagons were replaced with curtain sides during the 1990s, both variations were in service until bagged cement traffic ceased in the early 2000.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2