Barrack Street Yard

Rate this topic

Dempsey

45 minutes ago, irishmail said:

If you are using set-track then the Peco track geometry is the same as Hornby. As previously mentioned, Peco much better quality track than Hornby.

41 minutes ago, Sean said:

The larger express type points are far more reliable than hornbys little points, they also plumb into set track geometry without issues. you cant do this with any of the larger peco points from what i have found however for smaller points peco ones are very reliable and hornby ones are the devil. 

I think the peco curved point may be the same as the hornby one but im not 100% sure, peco have a template you can print on their site. 

railmodeller express will allow you to plan the layout in peco.

I will look into it further, maybe down load some of those templates off peco. I do have peco track and some points I was collecting for when I build my actual layout but the way that is unfortunately a long way off. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Dane,

You need a copy of "Across the lines" compiled by Charles Friel where a lot of Dundalk men talk of their railway experiences - a lot of them worked in Barrack Street Goods.

Good luck with the project - I see a few more kit sales to you ......

Thank you I'll definitely look at getting a hold of that. 

Spent the morning designing using peco set track. I had hoped to use my stock of code 75 trackage and points I had for my actual layout as a cost saving option but the available points would not have allowed me to use the space. The set track by peco that was suggested in earlier posts has given me more room and some longer sidings and run around tracks and I must admit it think it'll add more value running wise to the layout. Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm glad I went back and took the time to revise these plans.  

Screenshot (3).png

Edited by Dempsey
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Dane,

You need a copy of "Across the lines" compiled by Charles Friel where a lot of Dundalk men talk of their railway experiences - a lot of them worked in Barrack Street Goods.

You are correct about kit sales Leslie, but I believe you may have used the wrong 'D' name in thise case 😂

On 7/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, leslie10646 said:

Dane,

Indeed; excellent book.

• 3 weeks later...

Layout update. 

Track has started to arrived with must of the points and the slight curved sections having been purchased. 

Having had the opportunity a few weeks ago thanks too @jhb171achill to meet various others from the hobby who were extremely helpful and more knowledgeable, the layout will be powered DCC wise by the NCE Powercab control system with points being operated by tortoise  point motors.

Also did a rough fit of the points leading into the yard. The unpowered scenic section leading off the board I decided to recycle some old hornby track and point I had has nothing will run on it and it doesn't need to be prefect. 

IMG_20220727_195931.jpg

IMG_20220727_204053.jpg

Edited by Dempsey
Additional information
  • Like 16

• 1 month later...

With most of the track having arrived save for the last three remaining pieces the track plan has begun to reach it's final stage. Some slight changes have been with some lengthening of curtain sections to expand the width as it seems too comprised. I think even though the changes are slight it makes a huge difference. 

IMG_20220917_115835.jpg

IMG_20220917_115829.jpg

• Like 9

For some perspective here are three keg wagons on one of the storage sidings 

IMG_20220917_194127.jpg

On 7/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, leslie10646 said:

Dane,

I've been searching following your suggestion. Any idea where it might still be available as I've come up empty? 

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Good progress- taking shape nicely-  good levels of planning which will stand to it later.

Look forward to the next stage 👍👍

Slow and steady rob, slow and steady 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update.

The first two pictures show the work to the internal scene within the large shed. Not yet finished awaiting figures, forklift, lighting and drums and pallets.

The second pair of pictures show the shed with its basic paint applied and a test fit and clearance test of the canopy which over hangs the first track.

20221116_171433.jpg

20221116_194855.jpg

20221120_124727.jpg

20221120_124732.jpg

• Like 16
  • WOW! 1

I wonder if it would be possible to get a sound chip, not for the locomotives or rolling stock, but for the yard itself to make it a bit more authentic?

In Last train to Barrack Street at about 13.35 there is a view of St Joseph's Church and Monastery which is just across the road from Barrack St Yard.                                                                               In the years before it closed, the predominant sound coming from the yard was the siren from the gantry as it moved up and down the yard loading and unloading containers on and off the train underneath it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      However, in the days of steam engines and loose coupled four wheeled wagons, the sounds were quite different.   As trains arrived in from different parts of the country they were 'broken up'.   The wagons were uncoupled and loose shunted into the different sidings to wait until they were unloaded.   The shunter(s) uncoupled and coupled the wagons with a shunting pole and ran beside the moving wagons, using the hand brake on the wagons to control the speed until they bumped into the wagons already in the siding with a clanging of the buffers.  The shunters changed the points and told the drivers where to put the wagons.  The engine drivers would always give a short whistle before they would move forwards or backwards.                                                                               In the evenings, until about 2.00 am, wagons from the different sidings were assembled into trains and departed. Then there was about a two-hour break until about 4.00 am when trains began to arrive, and the shunting would begin again.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Another sound coming from the yard then, was the language of the shunters, especially on a cold wet winter's night.                                                                                                                                      For many years the monastery across the road was a Novitiate House and young novices, some fresh in from the country, were living on the top floor of the house, overlooking the goods yard and their tender ears were assailed by this language.  According to the Monastery folklore, after one very cold wet night, the priest in charge of the novices went across the road to complain to the yard foreman, who responded "I have to agree with you, Father, the bl***y language is f**king awful!"

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DSERetc said:

I wonder if it would be possible to get a sound chip, not for the locomotives or rolling stock, but for the yard itself to make it a bit more authentic?

In Last train to Barrack Street at about 13.35 there is a view of St Joseph's Church and Monastery which is just across the road from Barrack St Yard.                                                                               In the years before it closed, the predominant sound coming from the yard was the siren from the gantry as it moved up and down the yard loading and unloading containers on and off the train underneath it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      However, in the days of steam engines and loose coupled four wheeled wagons, the sounds were quite different.   As trains arrived in from different parts of the country they were 'broken up'.   The wagons were uncoupled and loose shunted into the different sidings to wait until they were unloaded.   The shunter(s) uncoupled and coupled the wagons with a shunting pole and ran beside the moving wagons, using the hand brake on the wagons to control the speed until they bumped into the wagons already in the siding with a clanging of the buffers.  The shunters changed the points and told the drivers where to put the wagons.  The engine drivers would always give a short whistle before they would move forwards or backwards.                                                                               In the evenings, until about 2.00 am, wagons from the different sidings were assembled into trains and departed. Then there was about a two-hour break until about 4.00 am when trains began to arrive, and the shunting would begin again.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Another sound coming from the yard then, was the language of the shunters, especially on a cold wet winter's night.                                                                                                                                      For many years the monastery across the road was a Novitiate House and young novices, some fresh in from the country, were living on the top floor of the house, overlooking the goods yard and their tender ears were assailed by this language.  According to the Monastery folklore, after one very cold wet night, the priest in charge of the novices went across the road to complain to the yard foreman, who responded "I have to agree with you, Father, the bl***y language is f**king awful!"

That is a brilliant idea and one I had not considered.  It is definitely worth looking into for sure.

My "personal jury" is still out on sound, especially at exhibitions. Probably works better for diesel than steam, because the smoke effects are still pretty crude.

However, there are some things that I think could improve the sensory experience, but do not see available separately. One is either whistle or horn - a fixed unit under the baseboard with a push button to sound the standard warnings for train movements. Sound chips for locos are bespoke and hence expensive; there used to be whistle and horn units available a few years ago, but not now, it seems.

Another aspect is smell. Oil, smoke and whatever freight might be carried or being emitted from local agriculture or industry. Now whether anyone really wants the whiff of the local fish dock, glue factory, sewage works, etc as part of creating atmosphere on a layout is debatable, but the gang of the sea or new mine grass might be nice. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DSERetc said:

I.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Another sound coming from the yard then, was the language of the shunters, especially on a cold wet winter's night.                                                                                                                                      For many years the monastery across the road was a Novitiate House and young novices, some fresh in from the country, were living on the top floor of the house, overlooking the goods yard and their tender ears were assailed by this language.  According to the Monastery folklore, after one very cold wet night, the priest in charge of the novices went across the road to complain to the yard foreman, who responded "I have to agree with you, Father, the bl***y language is f**king awful!"

My first real introduction to "bad language" was from a shunter (busy making up a train) shouting to the signalman at North Wall Granary Cabin to change some points.

I was in my late teens at the time working as a trainee engineer/foreman on a construction site at the time so not exactly unfamiliar with strong language

One day possibly during a Bank or Postal strike  I was told to take the bus into town and go to the Burmah Oil on Alexandra Rd and pay our account (diesel & lube).

Needless to say I walked it from Amiens St checking out the Midland and Holyhead Yards before checking out the Granaries from Church Rd Bridge before walking along East Wall Rd to enter the Port, paid the account before checking out the sidings on Alexandra Road, then the long walk back along Sheriff St checking out the Point Yard and another look at the Holyhead and Point Yards before finally taking the bus home.

All the North Wall yards and signal cabins were in use at the time full of traditional stock, I think I had one or more afternoon walks to pay the Burmah account during my 1st year or 2 at work

23 hours ago, DSERetc said:

Seen it being done plenty of times tbh, the 3 small dioramas across from the IRM stand at the Dublin October show all had them, just ambient sounds for each one

• 2 weeks later...

Layout update. 

Building progress continues slowly. The second building is effectively a low relief building with the remainder being off layout.

The main building has had an overhanging shelter (not finished) fit with the addition of a IRM forklift to handle the loading/unloading duties of fert wagons.

20221126_132229.jpg

20221126_132309.jpg

20221126_192356.jpg

20221126_192508.jpg

20221126_192455.jpg

20221203_161654.jpg

• Like 11