NEW 00 WORKS J15

Rate this topic

popeye

What do the differences between the four variants imply?

Did all four variants run concurrently or did each one replace an earlier one?

Or were there two and two?

The website says:

"GSR / CIE Class 101 (J15) with 'Z' Boiler 0-6-0

Type B-(Low) Tender Nº146 - Grey with Logo  £315.00 + P&P Taking Orders

Type B-(Low) Tender Nº125 - Grey with Logo  £315.00 + P&P Taking Orders

Type C-(High) Tender Nº186 - Grey with Black Smokebox  

£315.00 + P&P Taking Orders

Type C-(High) Tender Nº179 - Grey with Black Smokebox  

All above locomotives available in black."

https://www.ooworks.co.uk/products

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

What do the differences between the four variants imply?

Did all four variants run concurrently or did each one replace an earlier one?

Or were there two and two?

The website says:

"GSR / CIE Class 101 (J15) with 'Z' Boiler 0-6-0

Type B-(Low) Tender Nº146 - Grey with Logo  £315.00 + P&P Taking Orders

Type B-(Low) Tender Nº125 - Grey with Logo  £315.00 + P&P Taking Orders

Type C-(High) Tender Nº186 - Grey with Black Smokebox  

Type C-(High) Tender Nº179 - Grey with Black Smokebox  

All above locomotives available in black."

https://www.ooworks.co.uk/products

The J15s (both superheated and saturated) ran concurrently with type A,B & C Tenders in GSR/CIE days. 

Its probable that the larger Type B and C Tenders were coupled to locos used on long distance goods trains and cattle specials because of their greater water and coal capacity, the smaller tenders on locos on branch line and trains calling at all stations. The Type B tenders introduced for use with 4-4-0s used on Cork Express trains during the 1880s, Type C with the larger locomotives (4-4-0,O-6-0,2-6-0 and 4-6-0) locos introduced from 1900 onwards. Tenders tended to be swapped around between locos during GSR/CIE days with J15s running with all 3 types and large 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 types running with small Type A tenders.  The low Type B tender appeared to be less common that the high Type C tenders. 

Class J15 - 106 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1874 by Inchicore Works - 1921 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1937 rebult with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1965 - seen here at Foynes in 1955 - note spark arrestor.

Superheated J15 106 with Type A Tender Foynes 1955, the 'thing" on top of the chimney appears to be a spark arrestor at the time Foynes handled petrol and oil traffic.

Class J15 - 137 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1888 by Inchicore Works - 1902 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1931 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1960 - seen here at Limerick in 1955.

Superheated J15 137 with a Type B Tender Limerick 1955.

Class J15 - 161 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0 - built 1871 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1925 rebuilt, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1963 - seen here at Limerick in June 1948.

Saturated round top firebox J15 161 with high Type C Tender Newcastle West  1948.

Class J15 - 183 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0 - built 1880 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1929 rebuilt with taper boiler, 1932 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler. 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1965 - seen here at Waterford in June 1955.

183 with high Type C tender Waterford 1955

• Like 5
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

Without  reducing John’s excellent synopsis, 

The simple answer, Dave, is that they are all “valid” numbers for the boiler type. Some ran with the 4’4” boiler to the End, vide No.184, but many received the belpaire Z boiler. It’s all in The Book!

The tender combinations were too numerous to mention, but I think that the six which ran the 1964 Grand Tour all had large tenders.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The GSR/CIE rebuilt 67 J15s or approximately 60% of the Class with Z superheated boilers, the remainder of the class retained the 4'4" saturated boiler with round topped firebox, both types remained in use to the end of steam.

Superheating was intended to reduce running costs by reducing coal and water consumption.

The (high) Type C Tenders were more common (67)than the (low) Type B Tenders (28) and Type C Tenders  would have become readily available for use with J15s from the mid 1950s onwards as larger post 1900 locos were scrapped.

Similarly many of the ex-MGWR version of the "Standard Goods" ended up with large tenders from scrapped post 1900 locos. CIE no longer had a use for and scrapped many of its larger more modern steam locos during the mid-late 1950s but had work for the humble J15 on beet specials, pw trains and some branch lines to the end of steam.

The CIE section of the Irish Railway Transports Smugmug site is an excellent source of photos on Irish Steam

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/CORAS-IOMPAIR-EIREANN-STEAM/

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Great to see that they're happy with the level of interest they're getting in the J15 - they've done a few Irish locos to date and hopefully will do more in future. I've put an order in for 186

Guess what the Postie has just delivered?

No.186asdeliveredcopy.thumb.jpg.40b8f0405eacf9dfb439b556ab6a1563.jpg

Now my No.184 has her sister in the shed!

I feel a visit to Kernow in Guildford coming on  - to get her chipped, then I'll give her a few laps of the railway and see if she can pull a Fairs Special!

• Like 4
  • WOW! 3

3 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Just been on the Web site and realised that the additional batch is for the original small boiler version. The 4 numbers listed 109, 195, 162 and 131  according to Clements & McMahon never carried the Z Class Boiler. I missed out first time round so that's another 295 quid in the pipeline!

They're doing a rerun of the earlier batch ... and they've re-opened orders for the 'Z' boiler ones too

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

12 hours ago, StevieB said:

On their website is the following announcement:

Breaking announcement 30 July 2023. Due to high demand we will be doing another batch of GSR/CIE Class 101 locomotives. Taking orders now.

Wow.

Stephen

flippin hell

Now I am Torn - I have 2 00works J15s from a couple years back - but the recent ones with the big tenders are more prototypical for the late 50's early 60's period ......

for us here in Euroland its €360 approx plus postage plus customs processing from Brexitland for one of these guys that aren't even DCC ready...........obvs the likes of IRM don't have the J15 on their current horizon................decisions decisions ........with MM 141s, the Hatton Coaches and the IRM coaches and railcars over the next 12 months.............. this hobby can very expensive very fast!

Edited by Edo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Edo said:

flippin hell

Now I am Torn - I have 2 00works J15s from a couple years back - but the recent ones with the big tenders are more prototypical for the late 50's early 60's period ......

for us here in Euroland its €360 approx plus postage plus customs processing from Brexitland for one of these guys that aren't even DCC ready...........obvs the likes of IRM don't have the J15 on their current horizon................decisions decisions ........with MM 141s, the Hatton Coaches and the IRM coaches and railcars over the next 12 months.............. this hobby can very expensive very fast!

I suppose there is an argument that you can never have too many J15s on an ex GSWR section layout.

The Z boiler version with large tenders did not entirely replace J15 with the saturated 101 Class boiler and there would not have been enough large tenders from withdrawn 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 locos to entirely replace the small tenders.

Some number crunching from GSR locos indicates that 20 of the 60 J15s that survived into the 60s retained 101 Class boilers, interestingly the majority of J15s withdrawn in the late 50s had Superheated Z Class boilers, possibly the re-built locos were heavier on maintenance/worked harder than the non-superheated locos.

I will probably pass-go on the majority of rtr models due for release over the next 12 months, I have more than enough modelmaking projects to keep myself occupied for several years. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I missed out first time round so that's another 295 quid in the pipeline!

Well its down the pipeline and out the other end! Rebecca at 00Works emailed me yesterday to say that she had one 162 (original boiler) ready to go so it will be in the post tomorrow before they go on holiday until the 13th August. On top of this is a Collection of 260 Irish negatives from 1952, 1953 & 1954 are arriving today for evaluation. August is going to be an expensive month, luckily I have restricted my Summer Holiday to a day trip to Saltburn by the Sea for a trip on the Cliff Lift at £1-50 and the Saltburn Miniature Railway £2-50 return ( might be less I think there is a reduction for OAP's)

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1
  • Funny 1

On 3/8/2023 at 5:57 AM, Mayner said:

I suppose there is an argument that you can never have too many J15s on an ex GSWR section layout.

The Z boiler version with large tenders did not entirely replace J15 with the saturated 101 Class boiler and there would not have been enough large tenders from withdrawn 4-6-0 and 4-4-0 locos to entirely replace the small tenders.

Some number crunching from GSR locos indicates that 20 of the 60 J15s that survived into the 60s retained 101 Class boilers, interestingly the majority of J15s withdrawn in the late 50s had Superheated Z Class boilers, possibly the re-built locos were heavier on maintenance/worked harder than the non-superheated locos.

I will probably pass-go on the majority of rtr models due for release over the next 12 months, I have more than enough modelmaking projects to keep myself occupied for several years. 

Senior recalled that my grandfather (who died a few years before I was born) often spoke of a series of meetings which took place between various "heads" in the engineering and draughtsmen's departments in Inchicore in the early and mid-1910s; as one who was heavily involved in the re-boilering programme of those days, he was present. Also present, of course, were representatives from the accountant's department! Presumably these meetings were chaired by the CME of the day(s).

When a youthful Senior asked him was there any record of what was discussed at these meetings, he said "Of course, there were copious notes taken".

I wonder if anyone is aware of where these workshop minute books are now held? They're not in the CIE archive - I've looked twice - unless I'm blind with one eye and can't see with the other - and I haven't seen them within the IRRS. Maybe Seagoebox might have some info?

(As an aside, Senior himself had many a testy conversation with Amiens Street's accountant's department when trying to get a decent budget in the 1950s to upgrade the track between Dundalk and Clones. He wanted to put down concrete sleepers along it, but was only able to put down a very short test section. I have forgotten exactly where he told me, but it was somewhere between Iniskeen and Ballybay....)

Back to the J15s; I love these models. I agree that it's a pity they don't come DCC-ready, but they are such an indispensible part of the railway scene just about anywhere on the southern half of this island that it's actually surprising they were never done before. Hats off to Roderick & Rebecca for both versions. I have three; tempted to get a 4th.

I also had already a SSM kit made up professionally from before that. Very nice model finished, but not happy with sharper curves.

A layout pre-1963, south of a line from Dublin to Galway, simply cannot be credible without J15s, in the same way you couldn't do a layout based on the West of Ireland in the 1950s without AEC railcars, or in modern times without ICRs. (Only exception for J15s being Wisht Caark where they never trod...).

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, leslie10646 said:

Guess what the Postie has just delivered?

No.186asdeliveredcopy.thumb.jpg.40b8f0405eacf9dfb439b556ab6a1563.jpg

Just got an email today confirming that my 186 is ready for dispatch (was on standby for a cancellation) .. very excited but it'll be a while before I get my grubby paws on it though as I'm getting it delivered to my man in Blighty! 🫡 🕵️‍♂️

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2022 at 2:18 AM, BosKonay said:

I agree all should be encouraged but it’s also not sensible to assume that a RTR manufacturer won’t get to a prototype that runs with the RPSI in time. I can promise several things next year, including steam, but the j15 will not be coming from IRM in the next 24 months. 
Hope that clarifies what I mean by ‘never say never’. 

So just one day of 2023 left, I'm waiting with bated breath for the big announcement tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5