NEW 00 WORKS J15

Rate this topic

popeye

18 minutes ago, Patrick Davey said:

Yikes pricey.... but if it was a BCDR one I'd pay it....

I would love one,but I think I will wait and hope IRM to do them in the future.

There's a song (1960s?) which encapsulates these dreams quite well.

"Until the Twelfth of Never, but that's a long long time" ............

Doing this little engine with the Z boiler and the big (actually pretty massive beside the little loco) was an obvious follow up for Roderick.

That said, do I need a third J15 when I'm modelling the World's Most Wonderful Railway. The GNR(I) for new readers!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for IRM to produce this and even if they do you may be a long time waiting.  I bought one when originally produced by OO Works and since they are offering the option of the version with a high tender this time round I have ordered one of those. As for the price, keep in mind this is not a mass produced item, it is  quality RTR item  coming from a small workshop. What would it cost to have a kit professionally built?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

Am I right that the Z boiler is from the 1930s on, so this is the J15 in its most 'modern' guise?

Yes.  Extract from the OO Works website;-

Beginning in 1930, about half of the class received a later superheated “Z” Class boiler with Belpaire firebox – the preserved No.186 was one of these.

In later years most superheated locomotives ran with larger tenders while the saturated locomotives mainly kept the smaller tenders with springs to the upper sides of the tank sides, however there were several other types of tenders used as well.

Almost 60 remained in service into the 1960s, of which, about a dozen still had round top fireboxed saturated boliers.

The last of the class was withdrawn in the mid 1960s. Thankfully, one of each main type has been preserved: No 184 representing the earlier round top boiler and smaller upper sprung tender, the other being No 186 with a super- heated (Belpaire firebox) Z boiler and a larger tender.

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

35 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for IRM to produce this and even if they do you may be a long time waiting.  I bought one when originally produced by OO Works and since they are offering the option of the version with a high tender this time round I have ordered one of those. As for the price, keep in mind this is not a mass produced item, it is  quality RTR item  coming from a small workshop. What would it cost to have a kit professionally built?

Aye. Why would X manufacture make this locomotive for another at least 10 years when one already exists in RTR….and the 2 “main” versions of the prototype are covered. Albiet expensive as some say 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

Fwiw, ‘mass production’ just means lots and lots of nice ladies in China assembling kits :)

I still think I'm safe in saying that you won't do one!

2 hours ago, Ironroad said:

What would it cost to have a kit professionally built?

£250 - £300, added onto price of kit, motor, gears - close to £500?

£315 is a relative bargain.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

57 minutes ago, Ironroad said:

Yes.  Extract from the OO Works website;-

Beginning in 1930, about half of the class received a later superheated “Z” Class boiler with Belpaire firebox – the preserved No.186 was one of these.

In later years most superheated locomotives ran with larger tenders while the saturated locomotives mainly kept the smaller tenders with springs to the upper sides of the tank sides, however there were several other types of tenders used as well.

Almost 60 remained in service into the 1960s, of which, about a dozen still had round top fireboxed saturated boliers.

The last of the class was withdrawn in the mid 1960s. Thankfully, one of each main type has been preserved: No 184 representing the earlier round top boiler and smaller upper sprung tender, the other being No 186 with a super- heated (Belpaire firebox) Z boiler and a larger tender.

OO Works comment that in later years most superheated locos ran with large and saturated locos ran with small tenders is not strictly speaking correct.  The larger tenders tended to be allocated to bot superheated and saturated locos rostered on long distance work (Shipping Specials and long distance goods trains). The pool of large tenders available to work with J15s was fairly limited mainly from scrapped 4-4-0 Classes, and 4-6-0s.

It looks like the OO Works loco is based on 186 which is paired with what appears to be a Type C tender used with the larger 4-4-0, 0-6-0, 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 locos introduced from the early 1900s

Class J15 - 124 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1881 by Inchicore Works - 1901 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1942 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE, 1948 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler - withdrawn 1965 - seen here at Thurles in 1964.

124 at Thurles 1964

Class J15 - 118 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1891 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1927 rebuilt with larger boiler, 1933 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1966.

118 Rosslare Harbour  (post 57)

Class J15 - 181 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1879 by Inchicore Works - 1920 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1936 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1965 - seen here at Cork in April 1956..

181 Cork 1956

Class J15 - 133 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1885 by Inchicore Works - 1904 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1963 - seen here at Carrigaloe, 05/55.

133 Carrigaloe 1955

Class J15 - 184 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0 - built 1880 by Inchicore Works - 1921 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1962 - preserved - seen here at Dun Laoghaire with a boat train to Dublin Amiens Street, 1961.

184 Amiens St 1961

Class J15 - 183 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0 - built 1880 by Inchicore Works - 1925 to GSR, 1929 rebuilt with taper boiler, 1932 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler. 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1965 - seen here at Waterford in June 1955.

183 Waterford 1955

All going well I hope to complete my 21mm gauge superheated J15 from a modified SSM kit by 2030😉

• Like 9
  • Informative 2

Another question for the learned gentlemen here ... this time re the liveries chosen by OO Works for 186 and 179: Grey with Black Smokebox. My understanding is that all-over grey would have been the most common livery, where there many turned out grey with black smokeboxes? Also, how common was black which I see in another option for all four locos? (I gather that after a while they probably all looked black regardless of the original livery)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying Snail said:

Another question for the learned gentlemen here ... this time re the liveries chosen by OO Works for 186 and 179: Grey with Black Smokebox. My understanding is that all-over grey would have been the most common livery, where there many turned out grey with black smokeboxes? Also, how common was black which I see in another option for all four locos? (I gather that after a while they probably all looked black regardless of the original livery)

2093626093_DC08Cork193copy.thumb.jpg.2a77dad0e2938337c3e7f3812a9238d5.jpg

Lance King's photo of 193 on the 1962 St Pat's Day tour to Youghal shows an example of a black smokebox, but I think the loco was repainted for the run, so it's not really substantial evidence?  Note the BnT six wheel full brake!  Copyright IRRS

Never say never :)

NEVER!!!!!

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

2093626093_DC08Cork193copy.thumb.jpg.2a77dad0e2938337c3e7f3812a9238d5.jpg

Lance King's photo of 193 on the 1962 St Pat's Day tour to Youghal shows an example of a black smokebox, but I think the loco was repainted for the run, so it's not really substantial evidence?  Note the BnT six wheel full brake!  Copyright IRRS

NEVER!!!!!

Why did they paint her grey? The 3 west cork locos that ran on IRRS specials were painted black and indeed back was the norm I thaught post 1955 ish

mustve had some spare paint lying around 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

In a "Decade of Steam" on CIE in the 1950s Drew Donaldson, Jack O'Neill and Bill McDonnell RPSI 1974 the authors wrote about Cork (Shed) painting a number of steam locos during the late 50s/early 60s in Grey with black smokeboxes including a no of J15s and an ex MGWR Standard Goods. I have mislaid the page with the numbers many moons ago.

CIE retained steam for seasonal Beet Traffic and for shunting and pilot duties until April 1964. Cork's final allocation included J15 118, J9 251, J4 262, Bandon Tank 463 & MGWR small tank 560.  261 & 262 would have been useful for working Beet Specials from the Youghal Branch to the Mallow factory being larger and more powerful locomotives (approx 20%) than a J15 or a 1948 CIE motive power assessment "I would like to see half of the 101 (J15) Class scrapped and many other stray Goods classes and replaced by this design (257/J4 Class). 

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3
  • Informative 2

7 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Never say never :)

I'm with Leslie on this, you are not promising and it doesn't make sense for you to do so.

The J15 has and is being done by OO Works, so it would be far better that you promise AEC railcars, Tin Vans, Laminates or Park Royals. Lots of other things we would like to see, so please stop teasing and potentially compromising this offering from OO Works.  It's great to see them doing this and it should be encouraged.

• Agree 1
  • Confused 1

I agree all should be encouraged but it’s also not sensible to assume that a RTR manufacturer won’t get to a prototype that runs with the RPSI in time. I can promise several things next year, including steam, but the j15 will not be coming from IRM in the next 24 months. 
Hope that clarifies what I mean by ‘never say never’. 

8 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Why did they paint her grey? The 3 west cork locos that ran on IRRS specials were painted black and indeed back was the norm I thaught post 1955 ish

mustve had some spare paint lying around 

Grey was the standard colour by and large.

A grey loco, weathered, cleaned and polished with oily rags for a special will appear black.

• Like 3

It may well only have been the smokebox which was painted black for the occasion. The overall grey - including smokebox - looks very odd indeed when clean. I first saw the effect on 186 c1993, having always known it with a black smokebox. The black front end somehow looks aesthetically more pleasing….

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

I agree all should be encouraged but it’s also not sensible to assume that a RTR manufacturer won’t get to a prototype that runs with the RPSI in time. I can promise several things next year, including steam, but the j15 will not be coming from IRM in the next 24 months. 

Thanks for making that clear, it will help a lot of us here.

• Agree 1

And then there were fewer...

One of the GNR types I'm sure, though you'll keep the seal on it. I'd be tempted to say the S class, though the V class have that extra bit of wow factor...Q class is probably the least likely of the three, but maybe, maybe. 

At any rate, nice looking model, hopefully with the larger tender they add weight to it. 

315 isn't bad for a batch build, I may buy one if the budget allows it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Grey was the standard colour by and large.

A grey loco, weathered, cleaned and polished with oily rags for a special will appear black.

Well yes. Has there even been a comprehensive list of the few locos to wear black. Photos like the below one show how confusion is more then possible (photo from Ernie’s Flicker). If not I’ll start by saying 201 and 90 wore it from August 1960 and 464 from March 1961

A6AEDBDD-9D4E-40C1-A49D-5DD5B4FF492B.jpeg.c5d86863102aedb004e4f170d48e7cc6.jpeg

9 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

One of the GNR types I'm sure, though you'll keep the seal on it. I'd be tempted to say the S class, though the V class have that extra bit of wow factor...Q class is probably the least likely of the three, but maybe, maybe. 

At any rate, nice looking model, hopefully with the larger tender they add weight to it. 

If I could get a bandon tank for £300 quid do you think I’d have as many diesels as I do?  

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

I would be seriously tempted by Vs with an Enterprise set as I have convinced myself that I saw a big blue steam engine with smoke deflectors possibly 207 Boyne crossing Gormanstown Viaduct as a child.

A Compound and a matching rake of coaches especially in GNR colours would certainly have the wow. factor in terms of a large express passenger steam loco and probably sell well considering the popularity of the GNR among modellers and enthusiasts in GNR territory and mainland UK.

I would probably go for the Gauge 1 live steam version, though would probably have to sell most of my stock of American rtr N and Large scale locos and stock.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2