Derek's Layout

Rate this topic

derek

19 minutes ago, derek said:

Bridge in and painted. Road also in place.... Scenery next....Well that messy white aeroboardy stuff before the actual scenery I suppose🙄

IMG_20240614_172228.thumb.jpg.2f0fad0daeee7de0df434c620eebb16c.jpg

IMG_20240614_172241.thumb.jpg.e331817624535f44dfd299a820cd930c.jpg

IMG_20240614_172255.thumb.jpg.656964e31116828905e1299fdb7fd73f.jpg

Nice work! Can I give you a little tip for the road surface? I always find black is a little harsh for tarmac, try rubbing down the road surface with a very fine sandpaper. It gives a lovely worn appearance.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks very well! I'm a big fan of that bridge, it really looks the part.
I agree with @irishthump re the black, the only roads I've seem to be pitch black are if they're freshly laid or if they're soaked after a good shower. I find a blue-grey with hints of brown can look very convincing, so a pass of the sandpaper would do it wonders, especially in the middle to replicate darker patches in the tyre tracks.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

23 hours ago, irishthump said:

Nice work! Can I give you a little tip for the road surface? I always find black is a little harsh for tarmac, try rubbing down the road surface with a very fine sandpaper. It gives a lovely worn appearance.

22 hours ago, Gortalainn said:

Looks very well! I'm a big fan of that bridge, it really looks the part.
I agree with @irishthump re the black, the only roads I've seem to be pitch black are if they're freshly laid or if they're soaked after a good shower. I find a blue-grey with hints of brown can look very convincing, so a pass of the sandpaper would do it wonders, especially in the middle to replicate darker patches in the tyre tracks.

Thanks for the tips lads, and for all the kind words from the other lads. Always encouraging. As regards the black colour, I can see that it is far too black and "new" looking ok. I will definitely try to tone it down some, using the methods you suggested. But to be honest, as the black is just emulsion like the rest of the layout, it doesn't take long for the sheen to disappear. By the time I have this scene completed, the thing will be "pure manky"😀

21 hours ago, Metrovik said:

Road bridge looking lovely derek, and your scratchbuilt footbridge from earlier in the thread is better than i could hope to create right now!

Thanks, but you need to have a bit more faith in your own abilities. Your station roof on your layout is the business. 

• Like 5

Interestingly, (well, if you have little else going on at some point), it can be informative to spend some time looking at various random samples of tarmac as you go about your daily rituals. The variations in colour can be surprising, at times it can even be almost a light grey, and no two pieces, laid at different times, will ever be the same colour, or even remotely similar.

The wear of the tyre runs and the scuffing of the surface at bends and junctions, particularly from three-axle trailers, can also be worthy of note.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Surface texture too, with 600 grit wet and dry paper more than enough. Alternatively talc on dark grey enamel paint works well - even in 7mm scale.

Were there as many pot holes back in the day, compared to now?

As far as Ireland was concerned, WAAY more!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

As far as Ireland was concerned, WAAY more!

The pothole situation has basically reversed. I spend time in Laois and Staffordshire, within a few hundred yards of the same latitude and a mere 220 miles apart. I hear people in Laois moan about the roads and try to explain the state of things to the east - and I realise that I sound like I'm making it up.

My house there is on a secondary main road into a town of 70,000 people. Every time it rains, the road floods like this.

MTHFXDWVQND3XLY3QNQXQ5BV5I.jpg

It's been doing this, at an increasing rate, since 1980. It probably blocks the road about 25 to 30 times a year now. The flood in that picture was there for six days.

The potholes are legendary, all over the road network. Driving on roads that you don't have experience of, in the dark or in wet weather, is fraught with danger - you can easily end up hitting a big one.

The half-finished ring-road round the town (started in 1935) has had unnecessary 'temporary' traffic lights on it, that will stop you every time, since July 2017 - 24hours a day, permanently.

Driving in the Republic gives one a great sense of relief, not foreboding...

• WOW! 1

Our town in Germany, not 20km from the capital city still has several unmetalled roads that get graded in spring before cratering and falling apart again a few weeks later! Ours was metalled for the first time in 2015! 

Climate change and railway modelling! Modern image folk seem to have new challenges - pot holes, flash flooding and storms. DCC control for any of these? Seem to remember there was a gizmo to make a tree fall down a while back, though must have looked very odd in reverse...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

5 hours ago, David Holman said:

Climate change and railway modelling! Modern image folk seem to have new challenges - pot holes, flash flooding and storms. DCC control for any of these? Seem to remember there was a gizmo to make a tree fall down a while back, though must have looked very odd in reverse...

Any 00 scale mobile phone masts?

On 17/6/2024 at 9:30 PM, David Holman said:

Surface texture too, with 600 grit wet and dry paper more than enough. Alternatively talc on dark grey enamel paint works well - even in 7mm scale.

Were there as many pot holes back in the day, compared to now?

Reminds me of the tale of the Kerryman and the Yank driving the Ring of Kerry, with the Kerryman giving out hell about the amount of potholes in the road. Not wanting his pal to feel too bad about the place, the Yank said, "It's not too bad . Look there, you can see the top of that rabbit's ears sticking out of that hole". "That's not a rabbit", replied the Kerryman, "that's a donkey!"🙄

22 hours ago, Broithe said:

The pothole situation has basically reversed. I spend time in Laois and Staffordshire, within a few hundred yards of the same latitude and a mere 220 miles apart. I hear people in Laois moan about the roads and try to explain the state of things to the east - and I realise that I sound like I'm making it up.

My house there is on a secondary main road into a town of 70,000 people. Every time it rains, the road floods like this.

MTHFXDWVQND3XLY3QNQXQ5BV5I.jpg

It's been doing this, at an increasing rate, since 1980. It probably blocks the road about 25 to 30 times a year now. The flood in that picture was there for six days.

The potholes are legendary, all over the road network. Driving on roads that you don't have experience of, in the dark or in wet weather, is fraught with danger - you can easily end up hitting a big one.

The half-finished ring-road round the town (started in 1935) has had unnecessary 'temporary' traffic lights on it, that will stop you every time, since July 2017 - 24hours a day, permanently.

Driving in the Republic gives one a great sense of relief, not foreboding...

That's what I will do with my road. Just cover it in water and half submerge a car or two. No worries about colour then

• Funny 3

6 minutes ago, derek said:

Reminds me of the tale of the Kerryman and the Yank driving the Ring of Kerry, with the Kerryman giving out hell about the amount of potholes in the road. Not wanting his pal to feel too bad about the place, the Yank said, "It's not too bad . Look there, you can see the top of that rabbit's ears sticking out of that hole". "That's not a rabbit", replied the Kerryman, "that's a donkey!"🙄

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Gabhal Luimnigh
  • Funny 1

22 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Nice progress Derek, if I was you I'd pull the styrofoam back from the two sides of the bridge, show more of the stone work, just my own thoughts 💭 😉

You could be right Denis, but too late I'm afraid. Grass work has already commenced. Pics to follow.  Ah, I will live with it. And if I still not happy, I will rip it out and fix it. Wouldn't be the first time🙄

Edited by derek
  • Like 2