Rate this topic

Irishrailwayman

Many of you will have seen the beautiful new book "Rails Through Wexford" by Jonathan Beaumont (jhb171achill of this parish) and Barry Carse. The book, which is published by Colourpoint Books, will be launched at Wexford Town Library on Friday 25th August 2023 at 11 am. The authors will be providing a talk and slide show on the subject matter. After that there will be time for questions and for book signings.

Wexford Library usually requires participants to register on-line for their events (www.wexfordcoco.ie/libraries). Details will be provided as they come to hand.

Wexford Model Railway Club CLG is pleased to have been in a position to assist with setting up this launch event. The club are custodians of two fine OO gauge layouts based on the South Wexford line: "Rathmichael" and "MacMine Junction" both built by renowned modeller John Walker. The scenic sections of these layouts will be available to view at the clubrooms by appointment after the book launch.

RailsThroughWexfordCover.thumb.jpeg.c24e33fa5c6c60e139820c7cc53e1911.jpeg

Rails Through Wexford AI.pdf

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Ordered two copies three weeks ago, one for a friend and one for myself. Hopefully arrived before I get home from holidays. Looking forward to it. Glad to read in the recent all island strategic rail review the recommendation that the rosslare to Waterford railway line be restored to traffic.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Very many thanks for posting this, Irishrailwayman.

We never had a book launch for "Rails Through Tipperary" so we will have copies of that too.

Congratulations on the new book looks a fine read best of luck with it, where will they be available? Thanks  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Bob229 said:

Congratulations on the new book looks a fine read best of luck with it, where will they be available? Thanks  

Many thanks, Bob229! Colourpoint are getting them into shops now, but they'll be at the launch too. Meantime you can get them from the publisher direct, or from me once I get more supplies.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 5
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Both the Wexford and Tipperary books arrived today.  Now happily immersed in the Wexford one 😀

Cheers

Darius

Coincidentally, I got a delivery today too, mainly for the launch, including what I think are the very last 5 copies of "Rails Through the West". So, at the launch, I will have them, plus Wexfords and Tipperarys, and some Connemaras and Achills.

Hope you enjoy it, Darius!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, it sold out some time ago. And following this launch, "West" will probably do so too. Last I heard, the publisher had about a dozen.

JB  (and Barry) I'm sure that Wexford will sell out too. The books are useful, as others have mentioned, to modellers, but in all the series I can't find a photo of a GN Bagged Cement with a "Broken Wheel". Lots of good circumstantial evidence, which I will convert into my next wagon! Indeed, a good series.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

JB  (and Barry) I'm sure that Wexford will sell out too. The books are useful, as others have mentioned, to modellers, but in all the series I can't find a photo of a GN Bagged Cement with a "Broken Wheel". Lots of good circumstantial evidence, which I will convert into my next wagon! Indeed, a good series.

6 hours ago, Noel said:

Really enjoyed your latest book JHB. Bought a copy for a friend also.

Many thanks, Leslie and Noel, much appreciated. The GNR bagged cement wagons, I can attest, did indeed survive not only into "broken wheel" times, but also the latter-day (1970-6) brown livery with broken wheel. I saw several thus - one, I recall, at Templemore, another in Rock St goods yard in Tralee. Both brown - therefore, they would obviously have also been grey before that! So, you can have GNR grey, flying snail grey, broken wheel grey and broken wheel brown, if so inclined!

• Informative 1

JB said:  The GNR bagged cement wagons, I can attest, did indeed survive not only into "broken wheel" times, but also the latter-day (1970-6) brown livery with broken wheel. I saw several thus - one, I recall, at Templemore, another in Rock St goods yard in Tralee. Both brown - therefore, they would obviously have also been grey before that! So, you can have GNR grey, flying snail grey, broken wheel grey and broken wheel brown, if so inclined!

That's what I'm doing, JB. After going through every book I own, several photo collections and Ernie's wonderful archive, I still can't find an example of the middle one (Grey plus Wheel). But, as I said on the other thread, enough  to be pretty sure of what they looked like. So that's today's job, putting the instruction to Dapol together.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

JB said:  The GNR bagged cement wagons, I can attest, did indeed survive not only into "broken wheel" times, but also the latter-day (1970-6) brown livery with broken wheel. I saw several thus - one, I recall, at Templemore, another in Rock St goods yard in Tralee. Both brown - therefore, they would obviously have also been grey before that! So, you can have GNR grey, flying snail grey, broken wheel grey and broken wheel brown, if so inclined!

That's what I'm doing, JB. After going through every book I own, several photo collections and Ernie's wonderful archive, I still can't find an example of the middle one (Grey plus Wheel). But, as I said on the other thread, enough  to be pretty sure of what they looked like. So that's today's job, putting the instruction to Dapol together.

A very difficult picture to find however if you look through the wonderful IRRS flickr site and look in the Tom Davitt collection there is a picture at Liffey Junction of a GNR 1795 Bogie wagon and in the background is a ex GNR covered van with pressed steel ends and a  white CIE roundell .

Edited by flange lubricator
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

In all reality, one of these with a “snail” would be the rarest.

They were only a few years old when the GNR ceased to be, and by the time most were due a repaint, the snail was history.

So, the only ones to ever get snails would have to have been repainted by CIE between 1959 and early 1963.

And for our kit-makers-up, yes, the GNR painted the chassis grey just as much as CIE! 😉

1 hour ago, Tractionman said:

I bought a copy too, the book's a delight, great photography and informative captions, all beautifully produced by the folks at Colourpoint, definitely recommended!

Thank you, Tractionman, much appreciated. Barry and I have taken all four in this series to Colourpoint due to the standard of their production. The folks there always do an excellent job. I'll probably send my next (solo) effort to them too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My copy arrived this morning in the post. Had a look through it over lunch, and as always it's stuffed with great info and fantastic photographs. Beet features heavily, but there's also some nice shots of the bagged cement traffic. 

This, could possibly be my favourite to date. Looking forward to having a proper read of it over the weekend.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/7/2023 at 4:16 PM, patrick said:

Has Rails Through North Kerry sold out?

It has, unfortunately. Rails through the West is now down to about a dozen copies, which we will have at the launch this Friday. Once they are gone, it will also be out of print.

The publishers advise Barry and I that Tipperary and Wexford are both selling very briskly.

We will have a special offer on them all this Friday, €20 each instead of €22. We will also have some of Rails to Achill (3rd edition) and Rails Through Connemara.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Looking forward to welcoming the distinguished authors and guests to Wexford Library for the launch of "Rails through Wexford"! To coincide with the launch, DSCF0921.thumb.JPG.48d123dab4d02c07ec6ee720ae6dd47f.JPGDSCF0941.thumb.JPG.563aa9ac80963e7bf18db18ea71c3db7.JPGDSCF4476.thumb.JPG.e1da01f2f0d8607b9065ab428cf6a170.JPGDSCF4477.thumb.JPG.3bec07bcaec1c51dd9e8c8297c3cde5c.JPGWexford MRC will have on display at their clubhouse two Award-winning OO layouts: "MacMine Junction" and "Rathmichael" (a typical South Wexford station layout).

Gerry Byrne, Secretary, Wexford MRC

• Like 6

Very many thanks indeed to all who came today - especially to Irishrailwayman, the Wexford Model Railway Club, Eamonn Redmond and others who helped organise it and gave Barry and I such a great welcome.

It was great to put faces to several names from this parish.

Thanks also to Gerry for a tour of Wexford’s best layouts both at home and in the club.

I will be posting some pictures under “layouts” of Ballybeg, Macmine, Rathmichael and Welsh-themed layouts. Truly excellent stuff, and I’m looking forward to seeing them in action at shows in the not too distant future.

• Agree 1