I'm Back

Rate this topic

Murph

Hi, Just a reminder, I'm from Cobh in Co. Cork, married for 20 years to Claire, a huge Liverpool fan, and the banjo player in a local band.   Back to the forum after illness, back to normal now thank god, and just celebrated me 65th birthday.  Awakened the interest in the model in the press which is about 3.5 metres deep by 2 metres wide, with a duck under board spanning the doorway so I can run trains all the way round, winding track, 4 sidings so I can run a choice of trains, can't remember posting any photo's but O'Connell's Wharf is going along beautifully, will post a few piccies soon as I can. Big into scratch building (best one yet is Nancy Blakes Ale House, and another pub called The Cheeky Bugger,  which will both be in the pics. Looking forward to meeting ye all.

Sláinte

Murph

Edited by Murph
  • Like 12

Hi Murph, welcome (back) to the forum. Some great credentials there, apart from being a model railway enthusiast, recovered from illness, married to Claire AND a Liverpool fan! Kloop has done some great business in the transfer market, so looking forward to a great season. Looking forward to seeing some pics. There are some great layouts, expertise and a tremendous wealth of knowledge on the forum, so enjoy. 'You'll never walk alone'.

• Like 1

Thanks LARNE CABIN , Nice to have a fellow Red, Klopp is known to the local LFC fans down here in Cobh as "Saint Jurgen" Had the privilege of being in Jack Doyles Bar with a big crowd of red fans and about 1/2 a dozen United fans when we beat United 7 - 0 , the bar  was jointed and the craic was mighty.

Here's the view from our front bay window, we're right opposite the entrance to Cork harbour, the huge cruise liners go past us really close in , Awesome sight.

our place.jpg

And me at a gig in the Heritage centre in the old railway station......

MenDi.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Derek, It IS the one in Limerick, got the idea from a photo on interweb tingy, you'll recognise it when I get the f***in laptop to pair with the tablet ☹️☹️ Tried for an hour last night with charging lead into USB socket and after the said hour I gave up, took some cracking photo's yesterday and have some from a while back for comparison but no way could I get them to connect. Trying later on with the yer wans phone , I know that works !!!!!

• Like 1

And a better one of Dereks local 😃  Before it was glued in position, really enjoyed making this one, the timber frames are cardboard, walls painted white and then board placed behind, draw round window frames then draw round marks a bit wider, cut out window openings to make a fret, paint black and there ye go

20200611_184643[1].jpg

• Like 6

Talking of ordering stuff, ordered some stuff from UK recently, great little shop on The Isle of White called Upstairs Downstairs, because of feckin Brexit we now have to pay Import Duty, the charges on my package with An Post were as follows....

Import Duty €0.00

Tax €0.00

VAT €6.70

How in Christ's name can they get away with charging VAT on nothing ????  😲😲😲

47 minutes ago, Murph said:

Talking of ordering stuff, ordered some stuff from UK recently, great little shop on The Isle of White called Upstairs Downstairs, because of feckin Brexit we now have to pay Import Duty, the charges on my package with An Post were as follows....

Import Duty €0.00

Tax €0.00

VAT €6.70

How in Christ's name can they get away with charging VAT on nothing ????  😲😲😲

You'd want to get on to An Post - they didn't even charge you their 'fee' for processing the extra charges. Remind them to charge you on the combined cost of the item plus postage cost!

• Funny 2

It's not import duty, it's VAT which is different. By rights, any UK retailer should be removing VAT from the price charged to you if the goods are being shipped to Ireland so you do not end up paying the tax twice on the purchase - as it will be collected by the carrier on behalf of Revenue when the goods are imported into the country.

Import duty is a seperate charge applied at varying rates to products which qualify for it. Under WTO agreements, model railway equipment does not incur duty so such charges should not be applied to the goods when being imported.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 4

Agree - its killed trade alright.

But to be fair to An Post, there's a shocking lack of understanding amongst UK sellers on what's required. Leaving aside the VAT for a minute - Royal Mail do nothing, absolutely nothing, to ensure the parcels they receive are correctly labelled. Then when they inevitably get stopped and returned to the sender because nobody can figure out if they're subject to duty, Royal Mail just shrug their shoulders and the retailer is none the wiser as to why.

Personally, I've stopped purchasing anything dispatched via Royal Mail until it gets its house in order on labelling. Delivery via DHL is more expensive, but at least they know how to label a parcel - and they make sure their customers do too. So while I'll end up getting charged Irish VAT (plus an admin fee) by DHL, I know the parcel will get through.

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Informative 1