Genuine Railwayana

Rate this topic

DERAILED

16 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Doubtless this is correct. I’m pretty certain none had aluminium plates in real life.

When first outshopped I believe the originals were painted black and letters and border picked out in silver, latterly they were plastered over with layers of black and orange paint.

The replicas have no fixing studs either so that's another pointer to never having been fixed to a loco. I remember seeing them being sold at an ITG sales stand years ago.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

When first outshopped I believe the originals were painted black and letters and border picked out in silver, latterly they were plastered over with layers of black and orange paint.

The replicas have no fixing studs either so that's another pointer to never having been fixed to a loco. I remember seeing them being sold at an ITG sales stand years ago.

Yes the metrovic plate in my “my local area” has a layer of orange paint on it 

• Like 2

On 7/7/2024 at 8:39 AM, minister_for_hardship said:

Yes, the aluminium one does look like an ITG production which were produced for selling on the sales stand on railtours, and also got kept by some to put on their wall, as the mounting studs on the real ones make that a slight problem.

Some were also drilled and used on the preserved ones, A3 and A39, as the originals had disappeared by the time the locos came into ITG ownership.

I would expect a 1955 one to be brass. MetroVick became part of AEI, before all that was eaten up by GEC in the late 60s.

Where I worked went the same "financial efficiency" way - we had cast brass plates, then cast aluminium, then stamped brass, then just printed onto anodised aluminium sheet.

If it was still surviving, it would be crayon on old egg boxes by now.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another nice poster sold at South Dublin Auctions a few minutes ago. The frame would indicate that it is genuine but given that there's no public viewing of their sales I would be reluctant to fork out €360 plus commission without physically checking it out. This poster by Costelloe has been reproduced in recent years.

4 IRM.jpg

poster at SDA.jpg

• WOW! 1