Production Complete - A First Look At Our Bulleid Open Wagons

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Sorry if it's already been covered, but will any of the different Bulleid models be arriving together?

It would be very handy to be able to combine orders.

Even if they'll arrive staggered, could one request a delay in shipping one variant in order to combine shipping with another?

Excellent question, the cost of shipping mounts up considerably on multiple orders

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ironroad said:

Excellent question, the cost of shipping mounts up considerably on multiple orders

Shipping costs are now dynamically calculated based on weight. (and remain free for Ireland, EU and UK)

1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

Shipping costs are now dynamically calculated based on weight. (and remain free for Ireland, EU and UK)

From the bottom of my heart, I hate you all and hope that it rains all summer.

Lots of love from outside the EU.

X.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

From the bottom of my heart, I hate you all and hope that it rains all summer.

Lots of love from outside the EU.

X.

Did you hear….. Everyone in Ireland and mainland Europe gets an annual allowance of €1000 a year towards model railways, starting next week…….

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

1 minute ago, jhb171achill said:

Did you hear….. Everyone in Ireland and mainland Europe gets an annual allowance of €1000 a year towards model railways, starting next week…….

If you compare the wages, that EU and UK model railway allowance is more like €1000 per month, not per year!

I hope you also have wind.

Both the internal and external kind.

X.

• Funny 4

4 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Seriously though, for those of us outside the EU and UK, some form of consolidation would be helpful a la Hattons' trunk concept.

I have four separate small orders for Bullied wagons, with total shipping costs of $112, and would be happy to wait a bit longer and  even buy more of them in exchange for consolidation of the orders and consequent  reduction of the shipping costs.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Ironroad said:

Seriously though, for those of us outside the EU and UK, some form of consolidation would be helpful a la Hattons' trunk concept.

I have four separate small orders for Bullied wagons, with total shipping costs of $112, and would be happy to wait a bit longer and  even buy more of them in exchange for consolidation of the orders and consequent  reduction of the shipping costs.  

I have to agree with this assessment. Effectively the more we order the more we’re charged as I understand @BosKonay ‘s comment on dynamic charging. Within the EU reverse dynamic charging exists (the more that’s ordered the less is paid including free). I ordered a ton of stuff from Hatton's based on their trunk service. I’m don’t think anyone is asking IRM to house the stock indefinitely, we do want to see our models but some accommodation on combining adjacent deliveries would be extremely helpful. Guess where those additional postal savings are gonna be ‘reinvested’?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Well everyone in the uk gets £350 million pounds to....

Hang on, your figure is both more accurate and plausible than that one...

• Funny 2

A general trunk system would place too much strain on IRM's fulfillment centre, if I recall correctly.

However, I can't see a trunk service solely for non-EU and non-UK customers being that much of an issue.

Depending on the height, it probably wouldn't even take a full rack in the warehouse.

30 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

A general trunk system would place too much strain on IRM's fulfillment centre, if I recall correctly.

However, I can't see a trunk service solely for non-EU and non-UK customers being that much of an issue.

Depending on the height, it probably wouldn't even take a full rack in the warehouse.

I will be the first to acknowledge that reserving a spot in the warehouse  for orders that are being consolidated and pending delivery is an inconvenience that needs to be managed and controlled but the opposite side of the coin is that it's about customer service and potentially beneficial to sales. Additionally as DJ suggests the volumes involved are likely to be low if it is a service only for those outside the EU and UK who do not enjoy free shipping.  I'd be quite happy with an arrangement that required upfront full payment on items being held and a time limit of say six months for dispatch.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ironroad said:

I will be the first to acknowledge that reserving a spot in the warehouse  for orders that are being consolidated and pending delivery is an inconvenience that needs to be managed and controlled but the opposite side of the coin is that it's about customer service and potentially beneficial to sales. Additionally as DJ suggests the volumes involved are likely to be low if it is a service only for those outside the EU and UK who do not enjoy free shipping.  I'd be quite happy with an arrangement that required upfront full payment on items being held and a time limit of say six months for dispatch.

The primary challenge is that we can avail of relatively low cost shipping fees to Ireland, the EU and to a degree the UK, but once you start shipping further afield, or to hard to reach places, the cost is pretty linear (you pay per 500g or per Kg regardless plus pick and pack costs plus packaging, plus fuel surcharges, etc. 

11 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

The primary challenge is that we can avail of relatively low cost shipping fees to Ireland, the EU and to a degree the UK, but once you start shipping further afield, or to hard to reach places, the cost is pretty linear (you pay per 500g or per Kg regardless plus pick and pack costs plus packaging, plus fuel surcharges, etc. 

I think that people who live in odd places can and must accept the increased postage costs, they're just a fact of life.

We can see from the An Post website what the likely postage price is for anybody without an An Post contract.

The point in offering a limited trunk service for those specific clients is maximising the utility of the increased postage costs.

In a former life, I spent a lot of time in warehouses that warehouse managers had told me were full.

There was almost always unused capacity to be taken advantage of by moving racks around, adjusting the height of the bars at the top to fit half-pallets in, even sliding racking a metre or two to one side or another often freed up additional space in an otherwise unused gable end.

If there is unused capacity like this at IRM's fulfillment centre, then maybe it could be used to facilitate a limited trunk service for those living outside of the EU and the UK, meaning that nothing else would suffer.

The packers will know the exact unit weights and volumes, and can apply that knowledge to ship the trunk items in the most efficient way possible.

Or, if somebody were to input the weights and dimensions of each IRM product into a database, I'm sure there would be an AI algorithm or piece of software that could quickly calculate the optimum packing order based on the available tarrifs.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Interestingly enough I was told by former Hattons hierarchy that one of their biggest regrets was setting up the trunk service as it was very difficult to manage and ultimately lost them money.

It's a no from us, I'm afraid!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

6 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

Interestingly enough I was told by former Hattons hierarchy that one of their biggest regrets was setting up the trunk service as it was very difficult to manage and ultimately lost them money.

It's a no from us, I'm afraid!

Cheers!

Fran 

I had always wondered how they managed to offer the trunk service to everybody.

It seemed like something that would only work with a certain volume per trunk, and for a fixed period.

If somebody were to leave one single item sitting in storage for a long period, you'd lose a lot of space and reduce efficiency.

In essence, they'd have been better off not making that tiny sale rather than taking up space, time and resources storing it.

Shame that we'll never get that service again, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, irishmail said:

That was one of the benefits of Hatton's before they closed down,  you could put an item in your basket and you would know instantly what the shipping cost would be. 

There is a shipping calculator in our Cart now which will do the same.

From talking to them shortly after closure, the trunk was quite a costly thing to run, and unlikely to be something another retailer would be able to offer. 

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 14.56.51.png

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BosKonay said:

There is a shipping calculator in our Cart now which will do the same.

From talking to them shortly after closure, the trunk was quite a costly thing to run, and unlikely to be something another retailer would be able to offer. 

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 14.56.51.png

I think you’re breaking your own rules here, with In Stock and PreOrder items, demonstrating our problem in essence, I suppose. Don’t think you’d have to be concerned about shipping at that zip code though 😂 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BosKonay said:

May 15th is the customer shipping date for the bullied opens and flats. 

Hi Stephen, just a quick question, if the bullied opens and flats are shipping to us May 15th, when is payment taken, my reason for asking is I have received emails about my two pre orders (one email this mornings) looking for payment, one sometime in July, the other 29th August, I would assume we pay before we receive the goods, just wondering is all, cannot wait for them either way, thanks.👍

21 minutes ago, John-r said:

Hi Stephen, just a quick question, if the bullied opens and flats are shipping to us May 15th, when is payment taken, my reason for asking is I have received emails about my two pre orders (one email this mornings) looking for payment, one sometime in July, the other 29th August, I would assume we pay before we receive the goods, just wondering is all, cannot wait for them either way, thanks.👍

You can pay any time between now and shipment. Latest is the flats may start shipping the 6th. Otherwise once the stock is here we will process all preorder payments and line up shipments. 

13 hours ago, DiveController said:

I think you’re breaking your own rules here, with In Stock and PreOrder items, demonstrating our problem in essence, I suppose. Don’t think you’d have to be concerned about shipping at that zip code though 😂 

doubt it 90210 is not the place it was back in the day....seems to be happening to most places now.. :(

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

There will also be a new announcement at the show this weekend 

18 minutes ago, BosKonay said:

Oooh, exciting  .... unpowered I take it, or dare we hope for the long anticipated Irish Steam announcement???

Edit: I expect it'll be another of the super little bulleids, given the title of this thread .. but hey, you never know!

Edited by Flying Snail