Production Complete - A First Look At Our Bulleid Open Wagons

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

When it comes to newly announced models, you read delivery dates and sometimes take them with a pinch of salt. So often are the anticipated delivery dates missed it can be disappointing. Indeed, we have been guilty of it in the past.

However, how about a new model arriving in stock AHEAD of schedule?

Well, that's what our Bulleid open wagons are about to do, as production is now complete on these models, and very nice they look too!

Check out the production models below, which we also showed at the recent Model Rail Scotland show last month. 

Bulleid_1-2_600x600.jpg?v=1709899623 

Bulleid_11-2_600x600.jpg?v=1710156777

Bulleid_8-2_600x600.jpg?v=1710156802

Bulleid_10-2_c3fe5848-98b4-44e7-8328-8a9

Bulleid_8-2_600x600.jpg?v=1710156802

Bulleid_3-2_600x600.jpg?v=1710156974

Originally launched at the last Dublin show back in October 2023, we had envisaged a delivery date of Q3 of 2024. However, progress has been swift and efficient, that they will now land in Q2 of 2024, likely late May.

Fancy some? Make sure you get your order in by clicking the link below! riced at €89.95 per triple pack, and 10% off when you buy two packs or more and free postage and packaging in Ireland, the quintessential CIE open wagon is superb value for money too.

PRE-ORDER YOU BULLEID OPEN WAGONS HERE

View the full article

• Like 15
  • WOW! 2

That's great news. Looking forward to these and future reruns. They're a wagon you can probably comfortably do regular reruns of as they don't break the bank and they were so numerous we can always justify a few more. I've intentionally just bought 1 pack of each of the G&G era ones so I can buy reruns with new numbers as they appear over the coming years.

• Like 6

Just ordered a few Flying Snail opens myself now (well I had to, didn't I?), and a couple of packs of the flats. Are the flats also finished production or is it just the opens?

Also .. at the rate you're going, the new "Project Status' page is going to look empty soon, probably no harm in announcing a few more products to keep the bare look off of it!! 😛😛😛

Edited by Flying Snail
woefully bad grammar
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

Excellent. Good news. They look stunning. Do you mind me asking what’s going on with the right hand wagon in the first photo at the top of OT? These should brake all sales records for an model Irish wagon which was the most numerous ever to run on Irish rails. Park royals and 22k in the pipeline. Jeapers it feels like only a few years ago we were limited to a small no resin kits for so much Irish rolling stock (MIR, PW, SF, etc).

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Noel said:

Thanks. So a factory rust weathering effect.

Steelwork spray painted red-oxide to prevent rust, galvanised steel body left unpainted when when wagons overhauled for beet traffic mid-70s

Wagon dumped out of service at Liffey Junction 83-4 had been used as spoil wagons on the DART project for several years.

Beetwagons13032024.thumb.jpg.5716205665773023c2a4c8e2d5130a00.jpg

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

16 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Actually no. they were painted in red oxide by hand. 

Thanks Stephen for info. Interesting variety. Will enjoy running these when they arrive early. The rake of resin ones I already have are not the best runners. What sort of weight are the models?

On 12/3/2024 at 9:58 PM, Mayner said:

Steelwork spray painted red-oxide to prevent rust, galvanised steel body left unpainted when when wagons overhauled for beet traffic mid-70s

Wagon dumped out of service at Liffey Junction 83-4 had been used as spoil wagons on the DART project for several years.

Beetwagons13032024.thumb.jpg.5716205665773023c2a4c8e2d5130a00.jpg

I was thinking that's what it was, rather than 'paint bleed' on the model itself! Hail hail IRM's eye for detail!

Edited by skinner75
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Warbonnet Fran, a question if you don't mind please and you may be in a position to answer. Have these fab looking Bulleid beet wagons been loading gauge tested so they can run past platform ramps at prototypical platform gaps to track (ie so the hanging door stoppers don't foul platform ramps). This is a problem I encountered with some other kit built beet wagons in the past. Many thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, Noel said:

@Warbonnet Fran, a question if you don't mind please and you may be in a position to answer. Have these fab looking Bulleid beet wagons been loading gauge tested so they can run past platform ramps at prototypical platform gaps to track (ie so the hanging door stoppers don't foul platform ramps). This is a problem I encountered with some other kit built beet wagons in the past. Many thanks in advance.

Hi Noel,

The wagons are built to scale drawings and measurements of the real wagons completely. So if your platforms are placed in prototypical distance for an Irish layout you wont have any problems as our wagons are scaled to Irish loading gauge conditions.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Informative 4

4 hours ago, murphaph said:

Are you talking about 16.5mm gauge track Noel?

The track gauge would not matter PROVIDED the platform is at the correct scale distance from the track center. I don’t know what that prototypical distance is as it happens, I presume it would be 1/2 of the loading gauge width at floor height. Platforms placed for typical British model stock with fine clearances might have issues especially if there is a tight layout curve vs prototypical shallow curves on most lines. Same issue for double track. The track centers need to be the prototypical distance for 5’3” versus 4’ 8.5”. Is the British loading gauge narrower? Certainly the PRs and some laminates would have to be clearance tested on British Rails vs. British stock which can be narrower

@Noel

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

Hi Kevin, @DiveController Platform ramps tend to be the issue as wagon chassis elements that protrude tend to fit under the platform edge overhang, but in Ireland ramps are square and the same width as the platform, unlike many BR stations where the ramps are tapered and curved. 

tapered ramps like these Hornby toy versions don’t foul wider bogies or wider stock.7F9A6601-4481-489D-A767-AE1663A61B8B.thumb.jpeg.3d763aa2eee22cd44147e2993b9a10bb.jpeg

this is common on BR outline stations.  @jhb171achill The Fountain of Irish prototypical knowledge explained to me tapered platform ramps are generally not used in Ireland. I have some MIR resin wagons that cannot run past scale distanced square platform ramps without fouling and derailing. Anyway it sound like it shouldn’t be an issue. I have my platforms a prototypical distance to stock (ie track centre), so alighting LLPs passengers don’t have to jump across 2 or 3 feet gaps from coaches to platform. Moving swiftly on, my goodness the amount of new models due to ship over the next 9 months is staggering. Will layout have to grow to stable all this new stock?

3597914A-5CA5-4899-9F9F-F5487F4BA53B.jpeg.0e4cc501c8b5782aea090fa58580ef50.jpeg

Edited by Noel
Typo omission

9 hours ago, Noel said:

…….Moving swiftly on, my goodness the amount of new models due to ship over the next 9 months is staggering. Will layout have to grow to stable all this new stock?

When my attic was planned out, I deliberately included a fiddle yard which all my total stock would occupy an hour two thirds of.

Now it holds about half of what I have…..! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Our production sample rake of our fab new Bulleid open wagons took a trip to the fabulous Borris Railway layout where they were put through their paces. Many thanks to @fergalm1for giving them a run out and sending us on these pics!

Enjoy!

IMG_8068.thumb.jpg.cc524bc5d8a173d1bdccadd653a9d7e2.jpg

DSC02168(Large)-2.thumb.jpg.72add2c3aa8a782a5721428903192961.jpg

IMG_8070.thumb.jpg.eb490e31b7f0d2d5378611dc9608c63b.jpg

IMG_8079.thumb.jpg.e5ec40e2c9f3b6c642adea3e18adda2d.jpg

IMG_8090-2.thumb.jpg.d338fe30dcbcdbbfb64588366283076e.jpg

IMG_8092-2.thumb.jpg.1e3c24f72797d8dcf90deb305f3019e3.jpg

IMG_8094.thumb.jpg.8eff9d3b9a21d2c79afa6aac389af33d.jpg

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 14
  • WOW! 5

29 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

will be replicating that with the earlier flying snail types

Too late, Cathal, they have already done that sneakily on the "Borris" thread!

I was certain they were mine (as Fergal had bought a couple of my kits in the past) but they are the pristine "as built in 1958" version. I should have noted the lettering below the solebar - I never provided transfers!

Very well done.

• Like 2