Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 13/5/2022 at 10:05 PM, Galteemore said:

Looks like you’re right on both Ernie. Looks like Derry city in backdrop of pic 1.

I think there is a mention in NCC Saga about the Derry (Waterside) turntable being moved to it's later position on the east side of the running line as the one seen in the photo was too small to accommodate a Mogul. 

• Agree 1

I'm getting a bit low on Irish material to upload but hopefully this will change in the next couple of weeks. I have now acquired some 500 1950's/60's negatives covering the North East of England which will keep me occupied however. Or I could do some modelling on the layout.

Lagan at Connolly.

Enfield 8 June 1961.

GNRI Dublin Amiens St VS Lagan (3) CIE  1961-06-08 Enfield

• Like 7

On 13/5/2022 at 8:36 PM, Irishswissernie said:

The second is U2 No 81 which was built 1925 , any ideas on the location - I'm thinking Portrush and the loco is partly on a turntable.

Ideas anyone?

My painstakingly slow progress on Derry-Londonderry plans showing evolution of railways in the City have been finished (I hope) for early 1960s and late 1940s.   Currently working on 1908.

Attached are extracts from my work on Waterside, showing locations of the turntable at different times.

The OS 1908 scale 1:1056 plans are the only ones that show dual-gauge track with 3 rails.  Basically, it’s a revision of the 1873 1:500 scale plans;  reduced to 1:1056.  Sadly it doesn’t cover Pennyburn, but that’s another story.

Hope these help.

816318F1-54C4-42E7-B691-ECB1BB0F16AE.jpeg

2418B246-9890-4308-A916-3A794ADC4FA6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

AF0058 C&L Dromod yard 4T 30June50 

The Dromod photo is an interesting one the broad gauge train includes a breakdown crane possibly for the 1950 transfer of 13L one of the Passage locos to Inchacore for an 'overhaul" that never took place instead 13L was scrapped.

No 4T a Keir Stewart was transferred to the C&L in 1941 and appears to have remained on the C&L until scrapped following closure

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Lovely photos. That Ballinamore one shows just how substantial the Irish NG could be - looks like a main line! And the Harcourt St shot shows two of the big gaps in Irish preservation - those GSW 4-4-0s were quite something, and a MGW 2-4-0 would really suit the RPSI’s current operating pattern, certainly for the short haul trains in NI.

• Like 2

I acquired this one off EBay last weekend thankfully at a reasonable price although  not sure why it didn't go for a similar high price as other items by the same photographer on Sunday night.

1955 , 7th July 373 Dn Mail at Athenry. (Well its got 2 Mail coaches on the front!)

Unfortunately I couldn't acquire more negatives 'privately' as the executor's opted to have the negs 'e bayed' to hopefully maximise their value but I have still managed to acquire the odd one without blowing the budget.

CIE 1955-07-07 Athenry 373 Dn Mail LMzz010

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

In those baking hot Summers back in the day some Driver's preferred to cook their sausages out in the open air rather than in a stifling hot cab of a J18.

Claremorris 7 June 1961, warm axle box failed 588!

CIE 1961-06-07 Claremorris 588 fails with a warm! axle box. zz042

NOTICE.

First IRM steam loco is further delayed, as modifications are made to provide this feature via DCC control.

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

In those baking hot Summers back in the day some Driver's preferred to cook their sausages out in the open air rather than in a stifling hot cab of a J18.

Claremorris 7 June 1961, warm axle box failed 588!

CIE 1961-06-07 Claremorris 588 fails with a warm! axle box. zz042

There were several failures on that particular tour another Midland 0-6-0 worked the train to Sligo with a B121 replacing steam for the Eastbound leg of the Tour including the Ballaghadereen Branch.

I think there is a photo of the train behind a J18 at Tubbercurry in "Rails through the West

• Like 1

On 27/5/2022 at 1:10 PM, Mayner said:

There were several failures on that particular tour another Midland 0-6-0 worked the train to Sligo with a B121 replacing steam for the Eastbound leg of the Tour including the Ballaghadereen Branch.

I think there is a photo of the train behind a J18 at Tubbercurry in "Rails through the West

Would you (or anyone else) happen to remember if the late Wille Sherlock was on that tour? I seem to remember him relating a similar sounding incident to me, and that when the diesel took over from the failed steam loco that someone was heard to remark 'work of the Devil'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Killian Keane said:

Would you (or anyone else) happen to remember if the late Wille Sherlock was on that tour?

If you go on my flickr site https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/ and put in the search bar 1961-06 it brings up over 100 photos for that month many of which will be of the Tour. Many of the Tour participants are in view and maybe he appears in one. There are no doubt other photos where I didn't have the date so they won't come up. The relevant album is Irish Railways 1960's with some 600+ images. https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157718812496542

There are views of 588's replacement (603) and also the substitutes, 121's B132 & B129 which substituted. Sligo to Ballaghaderreen B132 & Kilfree to Mullingar B129

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1