Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have views of 9 and sister 10 on flickr. They differed from the other Hill of Howth cars in that the entrance/exits were both on the same side of the car. You can see how easy it would be to remove the panels etc surrounding the upper deck probably done to facilitate storage or reduce the height whilst being transported on the road vehicle.

The first cars Numbers 1 to 8 were built by Brush whilst the last 2 nos. 9 and 10 were built by Milnes  and had different trucks and originally open sided  lower decks which didn't work to well up on the hill. The lower decks were thus later glazed.

GNRI 1959-05-18 H.O Howth. 9 Sutton Car shops.  A125 Sutton & Hill of Howth tramway,Sutton depot 10, 4july59 GNRI 1959-05-18 H.O Howth. Summit 10 + 4 A117

Just like those running on the Swansea and Mumbles Railway.

Stephen

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

That signal at Colooney looks strange/interesting, two arms sharing a single lamp? Mounted on one of those Courtney,Stevens and Bailey posts are there any more pictures of that signal at higher resolution?  Can I feel a model coming on?  :dig:

That looks like an old-fashioned junction signal. Instead of a bracket, the arms are stacked on the one post. Normally the convention is arms top-to-bottom reads to lines/tracks left-to-right. But, as you say, only one lamp. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/4/2022 at 7:46 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Last view is another on either the Kingscourt or Oldcastle branches June 1963. That dead end short siding reminds of somewhere (Dunboyne) on the Clonsilla to Navan section.

I don't think so Ernie. As far as I know ex-GNR 'U' class No. 197 never ventured towards Navan on an IRRS  railtour. May I suggest the correct date is Saturday 17th September 1960. The Journal entry recorded "Starting from Amiens Street the first objective was the Mountmellick branch. Then going into Killkenny to run around and turn, the Castlecommer and Deerpark Colliery branches were visited. Return to Dublin was via Killkenny and Carlow. Locomotive was No. 197." As to the location of the photo, perhaps someone with better knowledge of this general area may be able to help. Perhaps a station on the now closed Port Laoise-Killkenny section? I can say it is NOT Deerpark Siding? LM 

Edited by Lambeg man

B****r! I thought it was another  view of 132, sorry folks but I am having eyesight problems at the moment - probably too much staring at the computer trying to match up Tom Rounthwaite's negatives and prints. It looks like Mountmellick looking at the distant view of the station building end.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

B****r! I thought it was another  view of 132, sorry folks but I am having eyesight problems at the moment - probably too much staring at the computer trying to match up Tom Rounthwaite's negatives and prints. It could be Mountmellick looking at the distant view of the station building end but the old 25" maps don't show the siding.

Could well be Mountmellick. This Ciaran Cooney image is rather similar in layout, esp with regard to the gate and the pole locations. Don’t blame you re 132 - that big tender and IRRS headboard makes it merge in your mind with the many published images of 132 on such duties! I also thought it was 132 at first.

5527A12D-9430-4DCC-861E-2FE104E82CA5.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

@irishswissernie - Very unimpressive Cashel railway station building, considering how historical that town it's not what you'd expect to see. Looks like building a railway line to Cashel was very much an after thought.

Edited by connollystn
Reply was incomplete.

16 minutes ago, connollystn said:

@irishswissernie - Very unimpressive Cashel railway station building, considering how historical that town it's not what you'd expect to see. Looks like building a railway line to Cashel was very much an after thought.

Useful background here https://www.seamusjking.com/sjk-articles/2014/10/28/span-classposttitlethe-cashel-extension-railwayspan-supplement-nationalist-centenary-1890-1990-pp-110-112

• Informative 2

@Galteemore - Thanks for that. Very interesting article. Surprised that a town with, what would have been a centre of population, was by-passed by the railway companies. To me, the railway alignment to Cork never made sense - seems to me like the builders took the scenic route. Yet again, another reason why this is the best thread on this forum - learn something new everyday.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

I don't think so Ernie. As far as I know ex-GNR 'U' class No. 197 never ventured towards Navan on an IRRS  railtour. May I suggest the correct date is Saturday 17th September 1960. The Journal entry recorded "Starting from Amiens Street the first objective was the Mountmellick branch. Then going into Killkenny to run around and turn, the Castlecommer and Deerpark Colliery branches were visited. Return to Dublin was via Killkenny and Carlow. Locomotive was No. 197." As to the location of the photo, perhaps someone with better knowledge of this general area may be able to help. Perhaps a station on the now closed Port Laoise-Killkenny section? I can say it is NOT Deerpark Siding? LM 

Yes, Mountmellick.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2021 at 9:59 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Thanks, the film also looks like post WW2 stock as well.

Although these Cavan & Leitrim images are from 20 March 1959 the interior is still 1890's.

First 2 photos Coach 5L , 2nd class in foreground, First Class the upholstered armchair. to the rear. In the background, looks like livestock  judging by the evidence on the floor.

3rd photo 1L rebuilt with  upholstered 2nd class!

C&L 1959-03-20 Ballinamore Coach 5L interior 2nd & 1st class.jpg

C&L 1959-03-20 Arigna Coach 5L interior.jpg

C&L 1959-03-21 Ballinamore coach 1L interior.jpg

Hi,

Any idea what colour the upholstery was in the two carriages 3L and the rebuilt 1L?

Thanks